• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do about high ammo/powder prices in LGS?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am sure people have complained already unless you are their only customer.

When I am talking to one of my regular sales guys, I will often work into conversation prices I have seen or bought stuff recently. Just a part of the conversation, not complaining or pointing out they are too high.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF the ammo has been on the shelf for a while it's more than likely he had to pay premium bucks just to keep ammo on the shelf. Any kind of ammo a few months back was difficult to get.
    I remember all the threads here telling where ammo was. That's how bad it was just a few months ago.
    It's a small shop and the mark up is minimal.
    Ever try to bargain prices with a large retail chain store?
    Walk on by with a smile or just buy the ammo. I've paid more to support a small shop many a time.
    I'm not so cheap as to let $5 ruin a relationship with a shop or person.
    I buy a few items from our fellow INGO members and I say I'll take it for their price or I won't respond.
    I have so many people send PMs on an Item I have for sale wanting it for yard sale money. I don't forget who they are and I'll ignore them from now on. I don't care IF THEY ARE THE FIRST RESPONDER. Ignored. My toys, my prices.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    IF the ammo has been on the shelf for a while it's more than likely he had to pay premium bucks just to keep ammo on the shelf. Any kind of ammo a few months back was difficult to get.
    I remember all the threads here telling where ammo was. That's how bad it was just a few months ago.
    It's a small shop and the mark up is minimal.
    Ever try to bargain prices with a large retail chain store?
    Walk on by with a smile or just buy the ammo. I've paid more to support a small shop many a time.
    I'm not so cheap as to let $5 ruin a relationship with a shop or person.
    I buy a few items from our fellow INGO members and I say I'll take it for their price or I won't respond.
    I have so many people send PMs on an Item I have for sale wanting it for yard sale money. I don't forget who they are and I'll ignore them from now on. I don't care IF THEY ARE THE FIRST RESPONDER. Ignored. My toys, my prices.
    But no one can really b***h about your prices!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I took the bacon option because it was there. :bacondance: But honestly I'd just smile and walk on by. I don't mind supporting an LGS if they're a few bucks higher on something, but I'm not going to pay double what I can get something for online or elsewhere. I figure if I can get it that cheap, then they can too. They can mark it up a little, sell it and make a little profit. Sure, everyone would love to have a 50% margin, but that's just not the way the world works very often. I've heard shop owners say, "That's less than what we pay for it!" Well to that I say, you need a better supplier...

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If it's a Mom & Pop store maybe they don't know that they are charging over the market price for the same materials, maybe they are pricing following a premium brand and just don't know. It doesn't hurt to ask. Worst case the price stays the same.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I believe 22 ammo gougers can go die in hell.

Vote with your wallet.

Hit the back button.

I say don't smile and walk right out of the shop.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I smile and walk on by. I think it's incredibly rude to tell someone that product x is too high. It seems price is somewhat subjective depending on whether you are the buyer or seller. Look at classifieds, eBay etc. The seller wants as much as he can get and the buyer wants it for as cheap as possible. Me I tend to spend a little more with the little guy except for the now closed gun shop in Argos who wanted 8 bucks for 50 thunderbolts. I politely told him it was cheaper to shoot my handloads and left.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    If it's not a shop I'm familiar with, I just look and move on. If I know the employees, then I might joke with them a bit. If it's a smaller shop then they might not have that much room to work with.

You could always open your own shop and compete with them.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Most shops have something cheaper than others, but then make it up somewhere else. It is just the way it is. If there is a shop who does not offer some competitive advantage (better prices on at least something than others, or better service, or better selection, etc) then I'm likely not even going back. If a shop is cheaper on guns but not ammo, I go there to buy guns but not ammo. I'm not sure I have bought ammo in a gun store in over 25 years honestly. Most gun shops don't have great prices on ammo.

I'm not above haggling on large items, or price matching where a store has a policy of doing so, but I'm generally not haggling on a small ticket item that I can readily get somewhere else cheaper.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would just pass it on by and not say a word. I would think/hope that they will figure it out at some point when it keeps sitting and sitting, "hey lets mark that ammo down a little and get it moved."

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Walk on by. Not my job to inform business owners about current market prices. It's their job to keep up on the industry. If they can't do that and their business is hurt by it no skin off my back.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If the increase in price is overall less than it would cost me to drive somewhere else in gas and time to get a better price, I'll usually bite the bullet and pay the higher price. YMMV.

TCLe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    West Lafayette
    If I don't want to pay that price I won't. But if I'm impatient or want to know it's acceptable quality beforehand then I'll gladly pay the premium. Not having to wait has a price for itself.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If you can prove you can get it cheaper elsewhere (instock/including shipping), as them to match the price. Not so much to tell them they're wrong, but give them the opportunity to do business. If they decline, so be it. Small businesses usually get hurt with volume, but a little margin is better than overhead.

I have done this at a store. Specifically on a particular gun. They said no so I went up to Indianapolis and bought the gun I wanted much cheaper.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    I usually purchase my components online as the most the LGS prices are so high that even with hazmat fees I can still purchase cheaper. I usually go in with several friends for group buying to spread the hazmat fee out. I would prefer to purchase locally if possible, but here is an example of prices:

LGS --- 8# Varget $245
    Online 8# Varget $168

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Where's the "buy it anyway" option?

I guess it all boils down to how desperate you are for ammo/powder. I usually just walk on by the high priced ammo since I keep a good inventory but powder is a different matter for me. If I run across an elusive powder that I have been wanting, I am willing to pay a higher price to get it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    an example of prices:

LGS --- 8# Varget $245
    Online 8# Varget $168[/QUOTE]

Thats just crazy talk there.

I'll stop by the local shop when it's on my way or if I have a transfer come in. If I can find something I need and it's only a couple of $ different than I can find it, I'll spring for it. I like my local guy and don't mind subsidizing him a little. Especially since I've already burned the gas to get there and it avoids a shipping charge. And he usually discounts the transfer a bit when I buy something. There is always a bridge too far though, and that powder price qualifies.

Top Bottom