• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you do about high ammo/powder prices in LGS?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Situation: LGS in a smaller/medium sized town (pop. 3500) They have a sizable pile of .22 ammo on their shelf, and have had for a couple of months. Problem is, it's low end ammo, at premium prices. I have walked by it for two months. Same situation on powder. Their powder prices are $7-9 a pound higher than I can pick it up for elsewhere.
    As a small business owner myself and being from that small town, I like to give other local businesses my business, if at all feasible. I would like to buy .22 ammo and powder from them but I have been buying premium ammo for less money, elsewhere. Same as powder.
    Question to you is, do you continue to smile and walk on by it or do you bring it to their attention? Is this normal gun shop etiquette or is it questioning their business practices and therefore rude?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Why spend more to get less? Seems like a waste of money IMHO. I don't know that I'd bring it to their attention, maybe if I knew the owner or an employee, but I'm not going to just walk in and tell them their prices aren't inline with the market, that's not my job, mine is to spend my money in the most cost efficient way possible.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you can prove you can get it cheaper elsewhere (instock/including shipping), as them to match the price. Not so much to tell them they're wrong, but give them the opportunity to do business. If they decline, so be it. Small businesses usually get hurt with volume, but a little margin is better than overhead.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are you actually wanting to buy it, or just stick your nose into their business?

If you want to buy some, make an offer.

If not, well, not your circus, not your monkeys.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Hey, can you match it for $xxx?
    I get asked this question.
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the product.

Also: don't commit suicide in a gun shop. That is a dick move.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You state you are a small business owner. How would you react to the same offer?

Me? Yes or no. Again, depends on the product.
    If I'm at $65 for 250 color flyers and somebody comes in with a WRITTEN quote or flyer for $55 for the same thing, I'll probably match it.
    If they come in with I can get these for $25 (with nothing to back it up) my answer is "No, sorry. That's a great deal, you should shop there."

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I do know one of the owners pretty well but he has another full time job and isn't in much. The other owner, ehhhh.
    Yes, I do want to buy their product. I have bit the bullet and bought a few pounds of powder, when I didn't want to drive.
    Just have to wonder if they want to sell .22 ammo or be able to say they have it in stock. I am sure they are selling a little bit. But I am not going to pay $6.99 for Thunderbolts. Sorry.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Me? Yes or no. Again, depends on the product.
    If I'm at $65 for 250 color flyers and somebody comes in with a WRITTEN quote or flyer for $55 for the same thing, I'll probably match it.
    If they come in with I can get these for $25 (with nothing to back it up) my answer is "No, sorry. That's a great deal, you should shop there."

I agree with that.

My question was actually directed for the OP. As long as the request is done respectfully, I see no harm in it. The worst they can say is no

OneHarryMess

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2016
    Central
    Nothing wrong with making an offer but do take into account if you'd have to go out of your way to get a better price, and you never know when they'll throw you a good deal because theyve come to know you as a loyal customer.
    Theres one place around here to buy ammo within an hours drive, on average they're 10-15 dollars more expensive than Wally world and I hear folks complain, but i'll gladly pay the extra 5-10 bucks on a case of birdshot than drive the extra hour to walmart, that and when .22s were hard to get I knew i'd always have a bulk pack or two behind the counter with "Save for Harry" on it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'm usually the smile and move on type. I have yet to find something that I absolutely had to have and was willing to pay a premium for so it never bothers me. It's their business to run and/or ruin, not mine.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would guess they are having to pay a premium themselves just to get rimfire on the shelf. Most likely its been bought from the second middleman.
    Alot of small dealers just don't have the buying power to get certain items and have to go through a smaller distribution company to get those things.
    And when a reasonable profit is added its just over the to for savy buyers.
    These are gennerally smaller gun shops that don't go to the Dealer Shows and meet the different Distributors and do a meet, greet and sign some purchase orders.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I would guess they are having to pay a premium themselves just to get rimfire on the shelf. Most likely its been bought from the second middleman.
    Alot of small dealers just don't have the buying power to get certain items and have to go through a smaller distribution company to get those things.
    And when a reasonable profit is added its just over the to for savy buyers.
    These are gennerally smaller gun shops that don't go to the Dealer Shows and meet the different Distributors and do a meet, greet and sign some purchase orders.

This was my first thought also.

Maybe they paid too much. Nothing to do but pass it along to the customers. I wouldn't expect them to sell it at a loss.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    This was my first thought also.

Maybe they paid too much. Nothing to do but pass it along to the customers. I wouldn't expect them to sell it at a loss.

Yep.. They could have ordered it a year ago and it just came in, and its being sold at true cost.

The small gunstore that used to be in Alexandria ( Madison Co Guns ).
    That man had zero buying power with any major Distributor, and he would not listen to anyone in the gun industry that tried to help him. He never hardly any ammo in stock on his shelf's.
    He was foolish and ordered 4 cases of low end Winchester 22rf, from a bottom end distributer.
    They came to just under 62 dollars a brick plus shipping and 3 bucks for a adult Sig. It took him months to sell it all, he showed every buyer the invoice for what he paid. He closed up shop last fall.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Offer them and talk. Look at car dealerships. Invoice from manufacturer is the same for a vehicle no matter what dealer has it. The bigger ones rely on volume to make profits. The smaller have to rely on repeat loyal business. But those smaller ones will still match a deal when asked. Better to keep a customer 'in house' than only get a portion of their business. Been in it since I was 18yo.

Top Bottom