• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Haven't seen this here but if it's a dupe, please delete.

Gun Rights vs. Freedom?: How "take your guns to work" laws violate property rights - Reason Magazine
    Gun Rights vs. Freedom?

How "take your guns to work" laws violate property rights

Steve Chapman | August 25, 2008

Supporters of the right to keep and bear arms have long recognized the value of firearms for the defense of life, liberty, and property. But in Florida, a perverse conception of the 2nd Amendment has produced the opposite effect: The cause of gun rights is being used to attack property rights.

In 1987, Florida wisely affirmed personal freedom by letting law-abiding citizens get permits to carry concealed weapons. But this year, the legislature decided it was not enough to let licensees pack in public places. They also should be allowed to take their guns into private venues—even if the property owner objects.

The "take your guns to work" law says anyone with a conceal-carry permit has a legal right to keep his gun locked in his car in the company parking lot. Until recently, companies had the authority to make the rules on their own premises. But when it comes to guns, that freedom is defunct.

The National Rifle Association says any corporation that forbids firearms in its parking areas is violating the 2nd Amendment. That may sound like a promising argument, since the Supreme Court recently struck down a Washington, D.C., handgun ban as an infringement on the constitutional guarantee. It's not.

Robert Levy, the Cato Institute lawyer who participated in the successful challenge of the Washington ordinance, says the Florida law "has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment." The Constitution, he notes, is a limit on government power, not a constraint on what private individuals or corporations may do.

A municipal government may not forbid guns to everyone on the territory under its control. But, as far as the Constitution is concerned, a private property owner certainly can.

A federal court recently upheld the law, but not because of the Bill of Rights. It said that "the constitutional right to bear arms restricts the actions of only the federal or state governments or their subdivisions, not private actors," and noted that the NRA "has been unable to cite any authority for its position."

So the law doesn't uphold gun rights. What it does do is infringe on property rights. The Florida Chamber of Commerce makes the obvious argument that there is no right "to have a gun in your car on someone else's property" (my emphasis). But the law tells company owners they have no control over workers who insist on bringing deadly weapons onto their premises.

Conceal-carry licensees complain that if they can't keep their guns in their cars, they will have no protection on their way to and from work. That's true. But what about employees who walk, bike, or take the bus? Since the law doesn't give them the right to take their guns into the workplace, they have to leave them at home. Should the state force companies to let workers carry pistols into the factory, office, or day-care center?

This is not a place where the government should substitute its judgment for that of the property owners. One lawyer told The Bradenton Herald, "I have clients that have to carry out terminations. Sometimes that termination is volatile. A lot of places have a policy where they walk the terminated employee to his car. What if you walk the guy to his car that has a gun? I wouldn't want to be that supervisor."

Given that crimes by permit holders are exceedingly rare, the employers who want to ban guns may be running from shadows. But decisions about their safety, and that of their customers and employees, should be theirs to make.

For some people, being temporarily deprived of a firearm creates great anxiety. But for those with a strong aversion to guns, working at a company that allows weapons in cars has the same effect. In a free society, both sets of employees can solve the problem with a simple expedient: exercising their liberty to find a company whose policies suit their preferences.

For the NRA to demand that guns be allowed in every company lot is just as oppressive as it would be for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence to insist they be prohibited in every company lot. When gun-rights advocates oppose the use of government power to suppress firearms, they are advancing freedom. When they use government power to dictate to private companies, they are harming it.

COPYRIGHT 2008 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I read that somewhere the other day. I couldn't help but think at the time that I didn't remember the bleeding hearts crying about property rights when they forced anti smoking rules against the wishes of bars, restaurants, employers, etc.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I read that somewhere the other day. I couldn't help but think at the time that I didn't remember the bleeding hearts crying about property rights when they forced anti smoking rules against the wishes of bars, restaurants, employers, etc.

:+1:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If someone comes over to my house. They bring and object into my house that I do not like. Would I not have the right to say get it out. Of Course I would. They go out and lock it into the trunk of the car. I should let it go.

If I go to work, and park in the company lot do I not have Fourth amendment rights to be secure in my person, house, papers and effects? If I have something in my car and it does not become a problem of someone else do I not have the right to possess it? My rights only end where the next person's rights begin. Anything locked in the car or truck that stays there is not anyone's business but mine.

On another note: Is it private property if the general public has untrammeled access to it. No gate, and everyone on the street can drive into the lot. Sounds public to me.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If it's privately owned but open like you describe, Coach, that would make it publicly accessible, but still private.
    The point about the anti-smoking laws and private property is a good one. The other side of it is that while the lot is private property, so is the employee's car. Why is their property right more important than mine? Can a business owner ban employees from having bibles in their cars? What about political campaign material? If a Republican business owner was to tell employees that they could be fired for having Democratic political material visible in their cars, he would very quickly be up on charges of violation of free speech, even if he claimed property rights.

Having a gun in the car is no different and perhaps less threatening: If a gun owner does "go on a rampage" and begin shooting up his place of employment, he might adversely affect the lives of 50, maybe 100 people directly.

If Obama is elected, he will directly and adversely affect the lives of at least 300 million people.

Blessings,
    B

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can respect the no carry in a job site, it's their property their rules. But I feel that they still should be able to keep their guns in the car. Just like it stated I need to be protected to and from work. Now for those who walk or ride a bike, there should be some type of spot where you can secure your gun. I know where I work it's a no gun place but if someone does carry a gun in we don't kick them to the curb, we simply store the gun in a safe until they leave.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Robert Levy, the Cato Institute lawyer who participated in the successful challenge of the Washington ordinance, says the Florida law "has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment." The Constitution, he notes, is a limit on government power, not a constraint on what private individuals or corporations may do.

I beg to differ with this statement.

Sorry, you can't work here because you are the wrong color/gender/religon...

Sorry, you can't live here because you are the wrong color/gender/religon...

Sorry, you can't eat here because you are the wrong color/gender/religon...

Puts a lot of constraints on private individuals.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I beg to differ with this statement.

Sorry, you can't work here because you are the wrong color/gender/religon...

Sorry, you can't live here because you are the wrong color/gender/religon...

Sorry, you can't eat here because you are the wrong color/gender/religon...

Puts a lot of constraints on private individuals.

The US Constitution does not allow for the above mentioned rights, civil rights legislation does.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If it's privately owned but open like you describe, Coach, that would make it publicly accessible, but still private.

B

I bet I could be charged with public intoxification in the privately owned parking lot.

Obama would a disaster of the highest order and in many ways. I am not a fan of Obama. I admire Jimmy Carter for some things, but he was a terrible President. I see many parallels between Jimmy Carter and Obama. ()

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I bet I could be charged with public intoxification in the privately owned parking lot.

Obama would a disaster of the highest order and in many ways. I am not a fan of Obama. I admire Jimmy Carter for some things, but he was a terrible President. I see many parallels between Jimmy Carter and Obama. ()

You certainly could. I could be mistaken, but I think you can be similarly charged outside your house with the same thing. I know you can be when leaving a bar enroute to your car or (hopefully!) a taxi. Most cops won't do the latter, presuming you're not out making an :moon: of yourself, but the law would cover it if they did. (presuming you actually are intoxicated)

You're correct on the parallels between BHO and JEC as well, and the one would be as much a milktoast in office as the other was- unless against our citizens. Kinda like the guy that's a wimpy little nothing of a man, but when he goes home he beats his wife and kids who are weaker still.

Blessings,
    B

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Now for those who walk or ride a bike, there should be some type of spot where you can secure your gun. I know where I work it's a no gun place but if someone does carry a gun in we don't kick them to the curb, we simply store the gun in a safe until they leave.
    I wouldn't want anyone to have access to my firearm. All sorts of bad things spring to mind.

Top Bottom