• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Personally I would not reblue an antique firearm unless it was going to be a wall hanger they lose all collector value.
    if it has sentimental value then do it to honor who used it before just don't think the reblue will increase the value to even cover the re blue charge. That said Highsmith in greenfield does a nice job and has a portfolio in the shop of the work they do. I had them do a colt 1911 for me and they did a great job.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Personally I would not reblue an antique firearm unless it was going to be a wall hanger they lose all collector value.
    if it has sentimental value then do it to honor who used it before just don't think the reblue will increase the value to even cover the re blue charge. That said Highsmith in greenfield does a nice job and has a portfolio in the shop of the work they do. I had them do a colt 1911 for me and they did a great job.

On the 1911 they did for you, was it a high polish blue or more of a matte blue? I'm toying with having a 1911 done with a high polish blue one of these days.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I second that. If the gun's that old, it was more than likely rust blued, and if you're going to do it, have it done right. Finding someone who does a GOOD rust blue is more difficult. Most guys want to tank everything these days. I rust or nitre, don't like the mess and honestly prefer the rust blue finish.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    If you are contemplating doing it yourself, I strongly recommend Mark Lee Express Blue. It's a lot of elbow work, but if you follow the directions it is pretty much fool proof. I did my first blue job on a Stevens 620 shotgun using Express Blue. It turned out looking better than most finishes you find on new long guns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    This type of thread brought something to mind that I believe worth sharing or repeating, whichever may be appropriate here. To start, there is no such thing as a "master gunsmith". Any smith worth his salt will agree. Anyone who does good work cannot physically live so long as to become expert in all gun related repairs or finishes. That said, before you refer or use the services of any particular smith, consider what type of work they normally perform. The modern day smith is often forced to do a lot of parts changing on less expensive but popular brands and models in order to keep a decent flow of work going through their shop. This type of work doesn't necessarily qualify them for working on things that are custom made or older, for which they may have to actually MAKE the part required or add a finish that isn't currently in common use. One example that comes immediately to mind is the realm of SxS guns. This is a very particular field and has many aspects not learned or generally known by many modern day smiths. At the same time, I don't know that I would consider a very good doublegun guy the appropriate choice for work on an AR perhaps.
    I could go on at length, but I've seen the end result of someone hot tanking a nice old SxS shotgun, for instance. I've also seen finishes that simply don't look right on a vintage custom rifle. Point is, a smith could have a very good reputation locally for some things, but not be even remotely right for others. It's always good to check first, and forums like this are a good place to start. Remember though, that many don't understand the why's of what makes any particular smith the right man for the job. On older and more expensive stuff, go slowly and take everything with a grain of salt.
    JMO,
    Jim

Top Bottom