• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I've been looking at different lock box solutions for securing a gun in my car. I'd like the box to be big enough for any gun I might store (up to a duty sized 9mm) but small enough that it won't be easily seen from outside the car. A combo lock might be preferable so that I don't have to fiddle with a key ring in order to get access to it.

For those of you who secure guns in your vehicles, what are your preferred set ups?

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Under seat lock box

My wife and I have three of these. Two in her car, one in mine. Same combination on all three. They are cabled to the front seat frames and are totally out of sight from anyone looking into the cars, even with the doors open. These look like they are on clearance at Menards, so only a few stores still have them. Or just search "gun lock box for car" on Amazon.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Something with a Simplex mechanical lock will avoid electronics and keys.
    FAS1 safes are pretty sweet. https://fas1safe.com/ Obviously needs to be bolted down to be secure. Might have to get creative depending on the vehicle but some ingenuity, small angle iron, and a welder can make a nice, discrete, secure mount using the existing center console bolts.

1697064329317.png

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I have a Hornady lock box for our personal vehicle, while not 100% break in proof it has a thick steel bracket you can secure to the lower mounting point of the seat . It weighs about 12 to 15 pounds. and place under the seat it will give you just enough room to get it open with the key. Very discreet and it’s going to take some one a bit of time to defeat it.

Might be an option?

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    Under seat lock box

My wife and I have three of these. Two in her car, one in mine. Same combination on all three. They are cabled to the front seat frames and are totally out of sight from anyone looking into the cars, even with the doors open. These look like they are on clearance at Menards, so only a few stores still have them. Or just search "gun lock box for car" on Amazon.
    Thank you for some really good ideas. But I think the small safe under the seat would work pretty well for my compact car. Hopefully the Menard’s near me still has some.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I've been looking at different lock box solutions for securing a gun in my car. I'd like the box to be big enough for any gun I might store (up to a duty sized 9mm) but small enough that it won't be easily seen from outside the car. A combo lock might be preferable so that I don't have to fiddle with a key ring in order to get access to it.

For those of you who secure guns in your vehicles, what are your preferred set ups?
    These are slick for up to a carry 9mm. Out of site, out of mind.

crookcountygo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    Indiana
    I've never been convinced in a truck gun of any kind - concealed carry is probably the best I'd feel safe with outside of the home.
    I’m not interested in a “truck gun”, just a safe so that I can securely store my carry pistol in my car when I go places where I’m legally barred from carrying.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Hornady Lockbox for Guns and Valuables https://a.co/d/ddgs5oj

1697260573488.png
    My nephew got one like this, and he put it in the trunk of his car.
    He bolted it in the trunk so it couldn't be picked up, and carried away.
    He lives in San Antonio, and they do not allow firearms at his work place, and theaters etc. He had a firearm stolen out of his car in the past.
    Now he has it fixed so they have to get the trunk open then break the bolts, and safe to get the gun. It would be too time consuming, and they probably won't mess with it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Hornady Lockbox for Guns and Valuables https://a.co/d/ddgs5oj

View attachment 305247
    My nephew got one like this, and he put it in the trunk of his car.
    He bolted it in the trunk so it couldn't be picked up, and carried away.
    He lives in San Antonio, and they do not allow firearms at his work place, and theaters etc. He had a firearm stolen out of his car in the past.
    Now he has it fixed so they have to get the trunk open then break the bolts, and safe to get the gun. It would be too time consuming, and they probably won't mess with it.
    Very similar to the one we have. I think it is a good compromise.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Very similar to the one we have. I think it is a good compromise.
    Now when I say he bolted it down I'm not talking about that little cord it came with.
    He drilled holes in bottom of the safe, and in bottom trunk and put two bolts to hold it in place.
    He put silicone around where the bolts were to keep water out as well.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Now when I say he bolted it down I'm not talking about that little cord it came with.
    He drilled holes in bottom of the safe, and in bottom trunk and put two bolts to hold it in place.
    He put silicone around where the bolts were to keep water out as well.
    Exactly a little hardware goes a long way. That coupled with placement.

Top Bottom