• JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Hello,

I do think I am actually improving on wrenching down and locking my grip in. However, I’m also noticing I really struggle lasting long due to strength.

I notice on several guns, the manufacture provides a textured area on the front of the tripper frame for a finger.

Do you lose or gain from this or is it just personal preference? I know I’d be able to get hjgher on the gun which can’t be bad. Let me know your thoughts.

I came across this video that I thought was interesting and wanted to share.

GRIP

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Give it a try. There are some top shooters who use a similar grip, though they are the vast minority. I don't use it because it only works on some handguns for me. Often it has the effect of pulling too much of my support hand off the grip itself which is no bueno.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Real answer: Lose from it. Look at high-level competitors in "tested against a LOT of competitors" sports like USPSA, where peoples' scores vs. the field get published. See how many do it (ie, almost zero). It's a technique from the 80s and 90s. The theory was it gives more leverage to keep the muzzle down, but eventually, people figured out (like with wrestling grips) you're better off keeping the fingers all together as a massed unit, to the greatest extent possible, so you can exert maximum crushing grip with the off hand, and your trigger hand is just a little bit more free to run the trigger.

Internet answer: try it out and see. You could be that 0.0001%'er.

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    They key term in your question is "strength". You build grip strength like a body builder builds all the other muscles: exercise it. General grip strength exercisers will help. shooting will help. just practice dry fire gripping as hard as you can as long as you can.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    God gives us 10 fingers to run the gun. 1 pulls the trigger and 2 thumbs are along support side of gun. That leaves you with 70 percent of grip strength in your hands to control the rocking motion of the grip as you shoot. Wasting another finger to do nothing but bounce around on the front of your trigger guard because marketing dictates the gun looks “cooler” with a TG spur is questionable.

Top Bottom