• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    It's on and packing them in. I highly recommend the toy farm show next door, it's free with some pretty cool things.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Is everything crazy priced?
    "Crazy priced" is all a matter of perspective.
    One thing you can usually count on at gun shows, most items will be priced at or near current market value. There are always deals to find if you take your time and look for them. If something is priced well below current market value, other dealers will usually buy it and price it accordingly. If it's too high, nobody will buy it. I saw a LOT of merchandise going out the door today. To some people, current market value is the same thing as crazy priced, even if they are normal prices for the times.
    I base my prices on replacement cost. If an item costs more to replace, retail price goes up accordingly. I still have several calibers of ammunition that are the same price they were last year (12 gauge birdshot, 7.62 Nagant, .22 Winchester, .22 Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, etc., etc.,). Most ammunition has gone up significantly, and most of the ammunition I'm receiving now are products that I ordered in February or March and have been on backorder for 9 months.
    Vista Outdoor Sales is a year behind and over a BILLION dollars in backorders. If a distributor places an order now, they won't see it until 2022 at the earliest. This isn't going away any time soon.
    If you don't like the prices now, wait until you see what they are like in January (if my predictions are correct). People may be wishing they had stocked up now...

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Show was worth $5. I got a few things I needed...prices are what they are, as Brian said.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I wasn't looking for a scope, but there were some around. Of course there was the big Osprey setup with optics galore. Have never been able to tell if their stuff is reliable or not.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Remember when Obi Wan split and lived on Tatooine as a hermit, then he came back to defend the Force?

It's kinda like that... :):

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    "Crazy priced" is all a matter of perspective.
    One thing you can usually count on at gun shows, most items will be priced at or near current market value. There are always deals to find if you take your time and look for them. If something is priced well below current market value, other dealers will usually buy it and price it accordingly. If it's too high, nobody will buy it. I saw a LOT of merchandise going out the door today. To some people, current market value is the same thing as crazy priced, even if they are normal prices for the times.
    I base my prices on replacement cost. If an item costs more to replace, retail price goes up accordingly. I still have several calibers of ammunition that are the same price they were last year (12 gauge birdshot, 7.62 Nagant, .22 Winchester, .22 Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, etc., etc.,). Most ammunition has gone up significantly, and most of the ammunition I'm receiving now are products that I ordered in February or March and have been on backorder for 9 months.
    Vista Outdoor Sales is a year behind and over a BILLION dollars in backorders. If a distributor places an order now, they won't see it until 2022 at the earliest. This isn't going away any time soon.
    If you don't like the prices now, wait until you see what they are like in January (if my predictions are correct). People may be wishing they had stocked up now...

”Yes” would have worked for me too.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Yep, I left this show thinking if I were a new shooter I would take up golf. Kinda depressing.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I'd say a 50 rd box of cheap Federal 38 SPL for 50.00 is crazy priced lol.
    The lowest price on ammoseek (other than reloads) is SG ammo @ $43.95 plus tax and shipping, limit 3 boxes. A $50 after tax price tag at a gun show is $46.73 plus tax, no shipping. Is it crazy priced? Maybe, but it is also pretty close to current market value.
    I sold out of .38 Special at the show on Saturday, brought more on Sunday and sold a bunch more. The problem is, it's getting really difficult to replace, at ANY price. When it's gone, I don't know where I'll get more. I guess I could order some from SG ammo, 3 boxes at a time...

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The lowest price on ammoseek (other than reloads) is SG ammo @ $43.95 plus tax and shipping, limit 3 boxes. A $50 after tax price tag at a gun show is $46.73 plus tax, no shipping. Is it crazy priced? Maybe, but it is also pretty close to current market value.
    I sold out of .38 Special at the show on Saturday, brought more on Sunday and sold a bunch more. The problem is, it's getting really difficult to replace, at ANY price. When it's gone, I don't know where I'll get more. I guess I could order some from SG ammo, 3 boxes at a time...

Just because some are willing to pay those prices doesn't make it any less crazy. MSRP at Federal is still 29.99 but I can't fault the dealers if people are willing to pay it. Most of the dealers I saw there didn't have brand new shiny stock on hand but the old crap they keep carting back and forth anyway, if they were smart they'd take this opportunity to move some of that 20 year old stock lol.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Just because some are willing to pay those prices doesn't make it any less crazy. MSRP at Federal is still 29.99 but I can't fault the dealers if people are willing to pay it. Most of the dealers I saw there didn't have brand new shiny stock on hand but the old crap they keep carting back and forth anyway, if they were smart they'd take this opportunity to move some of that 20 year old stock lol.
    At this point, MSRP is meaningless. Even Federal is sold out on their retail site. I only wish I could find someone selling it for the $29.99 MSRP price (with no quantity limits), that's less than what I'm paying for it. The fact that they have a backorder of over a year tells me that prices are only going to go up in the short term. If people have plenty of ammo or they don't plan on using any for the next few years, they should not buy any. If not, this may be the cheapest you can find it with any regularity for a long time.

If the Democrats are able to get their 50% excise tax on ammunition, current prices would be the new normal even when there is plenty available.

Top Bottom