• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Early Sunday, I took my oldest son to WW, shot for about an hour at the 25 yard, with the Ruger (10/22), Browning (BL-22), and Single Six. With the guns warm and the boy satisfied, we took to the fields to hunt squirrels, and limited by about 11:30. Warmed up quite a bit by then, and the woods were full of bow hunters and quite a few crews working Beagles.

Met a few really nice guys in the field, one of whom gave my son a new blaze orange hat, made his day!

Next trip, we're bringing the gear to throw clays for awhile.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Looks like I was there just a few hours after you left. I spotted an INGO hat and met couple of INGOers there. However, I discovered that a Sunday afternoon range trip make you really tired when you work nights.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Me too!

I was there also with 2 other hunters and we had 9 Beagles out and running Rabbits, we started pretty close to the range and I heard the familiar crack of .22s several times, was probably you and your son, nice day all around!

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Heck yeah!! We were there later in the afternoon at the range and saw the beagle guys parked across 103 from the range. Was that you Field King?

Kingnereli was that you that we met? If it was then it was great meeting you and sorry I forgot you screen name.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Heck yeah!! We were there later in the afternoon at the range and saw the beagle guys parked across 103 from the range. Was that you Field King?

Kingnereli was that you that we met? If it was then it was great meeting you and sorry I forgot you screen name.
    We started right by the range then moved across 103 about 11:30 a.m or so and ran the dogs again, that was my first time there, I will have to check out the range next time, is it the old school type like Atterbury use to be? I hate Atterbury's range since it went commercial!

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    Early Sunday, I took my oldest son to WW, shot for about an hour at the 25 yard, with the Ruger (10/22), Browning (BL-22), and Single Six. With the guns warm and the boy satisfied, we took to the fields to hunt squirrels, and limited by about 11:30. Warmed up quite a bit by then, and the woods were full of bow hunters and quite a few crews working Beagles.

Met a few really nice guys in the field, one of whom gave my son a new blaze orange hat, made his day!

Next trip, we're bringing the gear to throw clays for awhile.

Pardon my ignorance, still a newbie to Indiana, but where is Wilber Wright? I thought it was in Dayton Ohio but that's the Air field. Is it open to the public?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    25 and 50 yard range for pistol, centerfire, rimfire, and an area to throw your own clays or pattern a shotgun, archery range, and 1070 acres of hunting.
    Lots of trails and mowed paths to work your dogs or kids!!

Just north of New Castle, about an hour from you on 36.

We'll be back on Sunday, the 15th of November, about 9:00 to shoot clays, then time for a long walk for squirrels.

DNR: Wilbur Wright
    Wilbur Wright FWA is 1070 acres of river valleys and associated uplands. The Big Blue River is the western boundary and the dark, organic soil floodplain occupies approximately one third of the property. The remainder of the property is the adjacent uplands and the Little Blue River valley. The property has areas of mature woods, fallow cropland, prairie grasses and forbs, and other areas of early to mid-successional habitat. The property also has areas of annual and perennial wildlife food plots. There is a small wetland near the Big Blue River. There is an ADA accessible hunting area on the property (mix of upland and woodland).

Permits
    In addition to a hunting and/or fishing license the following permits are required:
    • Permission to hunt during the day must be obtained from the office before entering the field. Daily hunt permit cards must be in possession of the hunter and recorded through established self-service procedures outlined at the checking stations. Self-service drop boxes are located on the properties for your convenience
    • Night and predator hunting is only permitted by daily permit cards from the self-service check station. Night hunters should follow same check-in procedures as day hunters.
    • Dog training is available. Check-in at self-service check station by daily permit cards. Dog-trainers should follow same check-in procedures as day hunters.
    • No check-in or written permission is required for fishing. There is a minimum size limit or 14-inches for largemouth bass in effect on all state-owned, operated or leased waters.
    • Collecting permits are required from the property manager or IDNR for the collection of anything except nuts, berries and mushrooms.
    Target Ranges
    • Target ranges are open to the public on a first-come first-serve basis. All shooters must obey range rules and regulations.
    • Range is open from 8 am to 5 pm.
    • The range is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Open on Monday holidays.
    Hunting
    • Deer, rabbit, quail, squirrel, dove, woodcock and waterfowl are common at Wilbur Wright Fish and Wildlife Area.
    • Check-in is required. All hunting seasons and bag limits apply. See hunting regulations for details.
    • Dog-training areas are available.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I will have to check out the range next time, is it the old school type like Atterbury use to be? I hate Atterbury's range since it went commercial!
    I have never been to Atterbury but it is more old school. It is actually getting to be a lil more of pain with the RO. When I first started going there was never a RO but now the have started haveing one but he dosent call cease fire or cold range, he is just kinda there to watch. Somecan correct me on any issue because I dont go there that often. But it was a good day sunday.

Pardon my ignorance, still a newbie to Indiana, but where is Wilber Wright? I thought it was in Dayton Ohio but that's the Air field. Is it open to the public?

If you just come east on state rd 38 its not far from westfield. If you wanted to meet up I would be happy to meet up with you if I am available. It is free and open everyday but Monday I think.

Top Bottom