• ...and so much more!
  • leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/health/policy/11tobacco.html

Federal drug regulators on Wednesday unveiled 36 proposed warning labels for cigarette packages, including one showing a toe tag on a corpse and another in which a mother blows smoke on her baby.
    We already have the surgeon general's warning on cigarettes. It looks like these new "warning labels" are designed to make people feel bad.

Yeah, that's what we need, our regulators guilt-tripping us into compliance.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    2-3A-1_20101112100929_320_240.JPG

:dunno:

I can see that happening.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    And what will they put on Candy Bars, Twinkies and pounds of BUTTER?

The government is over-reaching. Dairy foods are the leading cause of heart disease but nobody seems to think about putting a warning label on milk, butter or cheese.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen

The government is over-reaching. Dairy foods are the leading cause of heart disease but nobody seems to think about putting a warning label on milk, butter or cheese.

They won't do this because they subsidize too much milk and cheese production to feed free-and-reduced-lunch kids in the schools.
    The last thing they are going to do is admit that they are killing kids with gov't handouts.:n00b:
    In the future, the cheese sandwich just might go away as the kids and families that are F&RL claim that they are being descriminated against and demand gov't subsidized meats with dijon mustard and crusty sourdough bread like the other kids get.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    They won't do this because they subsidize too much milk and cheese production to feed free-and-reduced-lunch kids in the schools.
    The last thing they are going to do is admit that they are killing kids with gov't handouts.:n00b:
    In the future, the cheese sandwich just might go away as the kids and families that are F&RL claim that they are being descriminated against and demand gov't subsidized meats with dijon mustard and crusty sourdough bread like the other kids get.

They subsidize tobacco farmers too, its really no different. I really cannot fathom why anyone would smoke these days, but what do I know. It sickens me when I see a parent in a car smoking with her children or baby in there. Those people should be killed and I am not even kidding.

But to those who are saying stuff about fast food meals. The difference is that smoking kills other people too. If a fatty likes to eat triple cheese burgers they are killing themselves, not me.

Post a link to the study confirming that, I really have nothing to back up my side but I find that hard to believe.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    OMG! now that i see that im gonna have to quite now! I think ill take up heroin instead,I don't see any labels on it so its ok.:rolleyes:

Anyone who has been on this earth for any length of time knows smoking can cause cancer. The government is over stepping it bounds again.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Guilt tripping thats and intresting way to put it. Emphysema, heart and lung disease sounds like a guilt trip to me. I understand we as a country have civil liberties. Think for 1 instant how much money is spent by joe public and the government on smoking related disease, its a joke. I think if you want to smoke no problem, but don't go to the doctor and want to be treated for your problems.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Think for 1 instant how much money is spent by joe public and the government on smoking related disease, its a joke. I think if you want to smoke no problem, but don't go to the doctor and want to be treated for your problems.

Why not? If I pay for my own insurance, why shouldn't I be able to go to the doctor for anything stupid I do?

I overeat, should I not be able to go to the doctor for a heart attack? I play football, should I not be able to go to the doc for a broken leg? I like to hunt, should I not be able to go to the doc if I fall out of my tree stand?

You are falling into their trap. They are going to outlaw all kinds of stuff because it is a financial drag on the government run healthcare system and we all are paying for it. Pretty soon, they are going to outlaw guns because the cost of treating gunshot wounds is too high. :n00b:

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    If you look @ disease by the numbers cigarette smoking is the leading cause of several illnesses. Your over eating only hurts yourself and those who love ya. Your smoking has the potential to hurt several whom just have the common luck of being around you. As for your firearm injuries and sport related are nill. Smoking is a lot like abuse. Those who live around it tend to become it. Nothing like hearing "I can't breathe" from a smoker.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Guilt tripping thats and intresting way to put it. Emphysema, heart and lung disease sounds like a guilt trip to me. I understand we as a country have civil liberties. Think for 1 instant how much money is spent by joe public and the government on smoking related disease, its a joke. I think if you want to smoke no problem, but don't go to the doctor and want to be treated for your problems.

If you look @ disease by the numbers cigarette smoking is the leading cause of several illnesses. Your over eating only hurts yourself and those who love ya. Your smoking has the potential to hurt several whom just have the common luck of being around you. As for your firearm injuries and sport related are nill. Smoking is a lot like abuse. Those who live around it tend to become it. Nothing like hearing "I can't breathe" from a smoker.

Nobody is saying smoking is a great idea. But it is not the government's business. It is not their duty to decide what we are allowed do and how we are allowed to do it.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    So you are going to be the one to tell a smoker with lung cancer that he can't go see the doctor?

Would you tell a guy who got in a wreck while talking on his phone that he can't see a doctor?

Your argument doesn't hold up.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nobody is saying smoking is a great idea. But it is not the government's business. It is not their duty to decide what we are allowed do and how we are allowed to do it.

It is the governments business when it comes to public health and safety. Smoking doesn't just effect the actual smoker.

I am really indifferent on this matter, on one hand I think its wrong that the govt forces a business to be smoke free. It should be up to the business owner whether they want smoking in their place of business or not. If the consumer doesn't like it, they can patronize a different establishment.

BUT I will admit I am happy when I walk into bars and bowling alleys in Ft Wayne and it doesn't smell like an ash tray.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Post a link to the study confirming that, I really have nothing to back up my side but I find that hard to believe.
    The problem is the FAT in the dairy food. Cheese is basically a blob of fat. So is sour cream. So is whip cream. Whole milk is very fatty. Butter is fat with everything else removed.

LOW FAT (as in SKIM MILK) may actually be good for people, but there is no such thing as low fat butter, low fat whole milk and most cheeses cannot be made low fat.

Here are some links.
    Milk and dairy products cause heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis -- interview with Robert Cohen

BBC News | HEALTH | Milk protein blamed for heart disease

Dairy Products and Heart Disease Prevention

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Why not? If I pay for my own insurance, why shouldn't I be able to go to the doctor for anything stupid I do?
    Talk about falling for a trap. ;)

Your insurance premiums/deductible probably doesn't come close to what the total cost of treatment is. So who pays for your treatment again?

Pay it all out of pocket or don't expect to get treatment at all. Of course, I should probably disclose that I'm all in favor of the elimination of medical care insurance for all but the most catastrophic/costly events. Maladies resulting from personal behavior need not be covered. We're all gonna die anyway.

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    Ive herd Canada has graphic labels on cigarettes pictures of black lung things like that aI had a friends that went to Canada about 1o or 15 years ago so i might be different now

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    They propose this in some form or another every few years. Its never going to pass, they know that, but it allows them to look good and blame "teh evil tobacco" companies.

I smoked for years when I was a teenage because it was the thing to do, and these labels wouldn't have deterred me (or my friends one bit). Everyone already knows cigarettes kill you...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Gotta admit I was a tad surprised to open this thread and see some unbalanced nut job say he wants to murder smokers. A nutjob with a gun. Lovely.

Folks like that are why we have to carry guns.

Top Bottom