Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    ** MORE ** **GRAPHIC PICTURES** 358WSSM, 200GR ACCUBOND @ 2520FPS

As the title says....
    The shot: 80 yards.
    The results: Jumped 2 fences that formed a farm implement lane. Went 30ft more and dropped right there.
    Internal damage was that both lungs were blown up. Hit a rib on the way in and that pretty much did it in. The shot on the body was a bit forward and just a touch high, but, the results are the results....He will be in the freezer soon! ;)

Here is the entrance hole:
    photo17.jpg

The exit hole:
    photo11.jpg

Inside damage: Left side is entrance, right exit:
    photo15.jpg

On the ground:
    photo7.jpg

Last edited:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I thought 358 WSSM was legal in Indiana. I don't hunt; just thought I had heard that. Am I wrong?

ETA: Too slow, I've been scooped!

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    damnit, some day someone needs to teach me to hunt

all these awesome meat pictures on my computer(s) and none in my freezer

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm always so confused why people speculate regarding hunting laws, why not just read them yourself?

Cartridge allowances are on page 21 of this pdf:
    http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/12INHD-FINAL-LR.pdf
    (linked from this page so you can verify source: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2343.htm)

Here is the bit you're looking for:
    Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons.

Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    I apologize for seeming ignorant. None of the cartridges listed are what I would consider 'rifle rounds' and so I wondered what the deal was here. Still, heck of a wound channel.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Yeah, No, I did not recover any of it. I didn't go through the guts seeing there was an exit hole. With dark coming on, I didn't go looking for fragments on the ground either.

Lethgar, don't sweat it dude. All of us are lacking knowledge in one area or anther. Our rifle calibers are supposed to be handgun calibers, that was the intent of the laws being changed to allow a rifle in the first place. What someone did was to look at possibilities of meeting the regulations but not the intent of them.

It is an awesome caliber and even though mine is a "generic" one and not a proprietary one, it seemed to work just fine! ;)

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'd be curious to hear about anyone shooting a deer with a .454 Casull rifle. Anyone out there done it?

Top Bottom