• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The FedGov only controls a 60 foot wide strip from the US-Mexico border inland in Cali, AZ and New Mexico. It is even less than that in Texas. I think you could build a nice wall 70 feet inside the border and the Feds couldn't say jack about it

From the wiki

The Roosevelt Reservation is the 60-foot (18 m)-wide strip of land owned by the United States Federal Government along the United States side of the United States–Mexico Border in three of the four border states. Federal and tribal lands make up 632 miles (1,017 km), or approximately 33 percent, of the nearly 2,000 miles (3,200 km) total. Private and state-owned lands constitute the remaining 67 percent of the border, most of which is located in Texas.

In 1907, Theodore Roosevelt in a Presidential Proclamation (35 Stat. 2136) established the reservation in order to keep all public lands along the border in California, Arizona, and New Mexico "free from obstruction as a protection against the smuggling of goods between the United States and Mexico" Texas was excluded because Texas retained all public lands upon the Texas annexation and admittance as a state, much of which has been sold over the years to private parties.
    That’s interesting and all but the constitution gives the federal government exclusive control over things like immigration and national borders. The Biden administration would challenge it if Abbot actually tried to do it. Of course Texas would do it on state owned land. But if it’s for the purpose of doing that which the constitution reserves for the fed then Texas might lose that battle in court just like Arizona lost when it tried to have state/local law enforcement investigate illegals.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That’s interesting and all but the constitution gives the federal government exclusive control over things like immigration and national borders. The Biden administration would challenge it if Abbot actually tried to do it. Of course Texas would do it on state owned land. But if it’s for the purpose of doing that which the constitution reserves for the fed then Texas might lose that battle in court just like Arizona lost when it tried to have state/local law enforcement investigate illegals.
    However, if they are trespassing on private property that becomes a local or state thing. Therefore they can be arrested for trespassing which I believe he said they would start doing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    However, if they are trespassing on private property that becomes a local or state thing. Therefore they can be arrested for trespassing which I believe he said they would start doing.
    Okay. Arrest them for trespassing. Then what? The state officials can’t deport anyone. They have to take them to the feds. Well guess who controls the feds? I think the problem is more complicated than just Texas building a wall.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Okay. Arrest them for trespassing. Then what? The state officials can’t deport anyone. They have to take them to the feds. Well guess who controls the feds? I think the problem is more complicated than just Texas building a wall.
    Better than nothing which is what the Feds are doing now.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Exactly.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would think Texas could argue that they are not attempting to control immigration but merely direct immigrants to established official border crossings

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would think Texas could argue that they are not attempting to control immigration but merely direct immigrants to established official border crossings
    I think think the Biden administration would decline the offer of assistance.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    The central state is demonstrating yet again that it is a COMPLETE failure in one of its most basic claimed responsibilities.

If it were an employee, it would be kicked out on its *** immediately.

Oh wait.... it is an employee.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Guys, Texas has inspection stations way off the boarder. The feds can't touch those.
    What are they going to do? Arizona lost its case where they tried to have state and local authorities determine people’s citizenship and send the illegals to ICE.

It’s nust a crappy circumstance. Texas and other border states are stuck with this administration’s suck ass policies. I think these states should ban together and sue the administration.

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    What are they going to do? Arizona lost its case where they tried to have state and local authorities determine people’s citizenship and send the illegals to ICE.

It’s nust a crappy circumstance. Texas and other border states are stuck with this administration’s suck ass policies. I think these states should ban together and sue the administration.
    I think you are missing the bigger point. Texas has effectively created a place between the National border and the state that illegals could technically be confined to without the feds having any authority.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The central state is demonstrating yet again that it is a COMPLETE failure in one of its most basic claimed responsibilities.

If it were an employee, it would be kicked out on its *** immediately.

Oh wait.... it is an employee.
    It sure doesn’t act like an employee. It acts like it is justified in controlling you however it sees fit.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think you are missing the bigger point. Texas has effectively created a place between the National border and the state that illegals could technically be confined to without the feds having any authority.
    I think this is gonna get challenged in court and I think Texas will lose. Under what law can they detain foreign nationals?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think this is gonna get challenged in court and I think Texas will lose. Under what law can they detain foreign nationals?
    I don’t know the details of Governor Abbott’s plan, but believe me Texas has plenty of foreign nationals detained, arrested, convicted, and imprisoned. Some have made it to Death Row… and beyond. You break state law you go to state prison.

I believe Abbott’s plan is to set up situations that will ID illegal aliens breaking state law and prosecuting them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don’t know the details of Governor Abbott’s plan, but believe me Texas has plenty of foreign nationals detained, arrested, convicted, and imprisoned. Some have made it to Death Row… and beyond. You break state law you go to state prison.

I believe Abbott’s plan is to set up situations that will ID illegal aliens breaking state law and prosecuting them.
    The state has authority to enforce their own laws. The fed has specific jurisdiction to make immigration laws and enforce them.

Top Bottom