• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

"At the event, Abbott said he would soon unveil plans to build a U.S.-Mexico border wall in Texas, although he did not provide details on the cost or location. He also reiterated that state troopers will start jailing people crossing the border illegally on trespassing charges."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

"At the event, Abbott said he would soon unveil plans to build a U.S.-Mexico border wall in Texas, although he did not provide details on the cost or location. He also reiterated that state troopers will start jailing people crossing the border illegally on trespassing charges."
    That's beyond his power. I suspect he has no intention of doing anything, other than trying to gain political points when the federal govt steps in and tells him "try it."

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    The Texas Governor sees daily the negative impact on his state and Texas taxpayers caused by the unrelenting flow of illegal immigrants. He is doing his job to serve the people that put him in office. If you think doing nothing is fine, please add your name and address to the list of those willing to open their home and checkbook to taking care of these illegal immigrants while children and veterans in the US live on the streets every day.

The Feds are not footing the bill for this impact, Texans are.....

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That's beyond his power. I suspect he has no intention of doing anything, other than trying to gain political points when the federal govt steps in and tells him "try it."
    I believe you are incorrect, so long as the wall is entirely on Texas soil and does not interfere with federally approved facilities and access points

It will be an interesting fight

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The Texas Governor sees daily the negative impact on his state and Texas taxpayers caused by the unrelenting flow of illegal immigrants. He is doing his job to serve the people that put him in office. If you think doing nothing is fine, please add your name and address to the list of those willing to open their home and checkbook to taking care of these illegal immigrants while children and veterans in the US live on the streets every day.

The Feds are not footing the bill for this impact, Texans are.....
    The US borders are beyond the state’s scope of authority. If he actually started building it, it wouldn’t be long before the administration got a judge to order them to stop.

Rather than that, perhaps Texas could sue the government for ****ing up the border and the impact that it has on their state.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I believe you are incorrect, so long as the wall is entirely on Texas soil and does not interfere with federally approved facilities and access points

It will be an interesting fight
    I don’t think that’s a technicality that the courts would recognize. I haven’t heard Abbot’s proposal yet, for exactly what he plans. Maybe there are details that might change that. It’ll certainly be challenged by the 0biden administration.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They could always call them Interstate sound barriers, such as the ones that surround 465, or "bullet shields" given the random gunfire that comes across at places like Laredo.
    They might find a creative way to make it fly. But I’m not sure a wall is even the goal. I think Abbot is more sincere about the problem than it being purely for political points. This is Abbot’s last term isn’t it? If it’s for any political purpose I would think it’s to draw more attention to the problem, especially to highlight that there is a problem.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He's around 400-450, different cast of characters, centuries before the Ottomans. Constantinople falls in the 1400s after cannons pretty much finish the walls of antiquity every where.
    No, the Netflix movie “Rise of the Ottomans,” is all about when they took Constantinople. A significant portion is devoted to the history of the wall, and how they’d endured for so long.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No, the Netflix movie “Rise of the Ottomans,” is all about when they took Constantinople. A significant portion is devoted to the history of the wall, and how they’d endured for so long.

Never have seen the movie, but I'll keep an eye out now that I have fast internet. The walls kept a large cast of tough adversaries out for a long time through history.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’ve been watching some hunting YouTube lately to get in the right mindset for a self guided Muley hunt I’m doing this year. Anyway all the online forums warn that you will run into illegals in the units im going to and this video shows a hunter getting spooked by a coyote and his group of illegals.

obviously illegal immigration isn’t really a problem

run in around 7 minutes in

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I’ve been watching some hunting YouTube lately to get in the right mindset for a self guided Muley hunt I’m doing this year. Anyway all the online forums warn that you will run into illegals in the units im going to and this video shows a hunter getting spooked by a coyote and his group of illegals.

obviously illegal immigration isn’t really a problem

run in around 7 minutes in

That could have gone bad REAL quick. WOW!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    The US borders are beyond the state’s scope of authority. If he actually started building it, it wouldn’t be long before the administration got a judge to order them to stop.

Rather than that, perhaps Texas could sue the government for ****ing up the border and the impact that it has on their state.
    So he is apparently OK with focusing the Texas State Police in a high crime area, like the border?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don’t think that’s a technicality that the courts would recognize. I haven’t heard Abbot’s proposal yet, for exactly what he plans. Maybe there are details that might change that. It’ll certainly be challenged by the 0biden administration.
    The FedGov only controls a 60 foot wide strip from the US-Mexico border inland in Cali, AZ and New Mexico. It is even less than that in Texas. I think you could build a nice wall 70 feet inside the border and the Feds couldn't say jack about it

From the wiki

The Roosevelt Reservation is the 60-foot (18 m)-wide strip of land owned by the United States Federal Government along the United States side of the United States–Mexico Border in three of the four border states. Federal and tribal lands make up 632 miles (1,017 km), or approximately 33 percent, of the nearly 2,000 miles (3,200 km) total. Private and state-owned lands constitute the remaining 67 percent of the border, most of which is located in Texas.

In 1907, Theodore Roosevelt in a Presidential Proclamation (35 Stat. 2136) established the reservation in order to keep all public lands along the border in California, Arizona, and New Mexico "free from obstruction as a protection against the smuggling of goods between the United States and Mexico" Texas was excluded because Texas retained all public lands upon the Texas annexation and admittance as a state, much of which has been sold over the years to private parties.

Top Bottom