Got some money burning a hole in my pocket, what to buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I got some money from my grandmother for christmas and am thinking about buying a gun. I currently have a Springfield XD-9 subcompact that I use for concealed carry. I also have a Kel Tec P-3AT .380cal for when my attire does not allow me to carry the XD. I have been wanting a .45 for a while and thought this would be as good a time as any to get one. Is there anything in particular that you guys would recommend I look at or stay away from? I've always been curious about something like a 1911, but dont know much about them or what I should look for. My target price range would be around $500 but I can go a little higher if it will get me something significantly better. Thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It would be tough to find a quality 1911 at or near that price point. Plus, I'm someone who firmly believes that the 1911 is a good platform, but one that requires the user to be exceptionally proficient with it.

In keeping with your XD theme, I'd look into the XD45 Compact. Probably a bit over $500, but gives you either 10+1 or 14+1 capacity, depending on what magazine you were using.

*waits for ATM and CrystalShip1*

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I've heard that Taurus PT1911 was good bang for the buck in the 500-600 range.

I just bought a PT1911AR from Techres today. It had some work done on it, but I think it's a wonderful gun at it's price point. I can honestly say it's the most accurate I've ever shot a gun, and we ran 200 rounds through it.

Also hear good things about Rock Island Armory, but have no experience with them.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Holy quick replies, batman! I've heard people mention the Taurus's before so I think thats something I'm definately going to look at. I'll also look at the Springfield XD45. Thanks for the replies so far!

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    Rock Island

Check these out
    Rock Island 1911 .45ACP Tactical Handgun Part #AC-RI1911TAC

Rock Island .45 1911
    •1911 Tactical Handgun
    •Black Parkerized Finish
    •Manufactured by Armscorp in the Philippines
    •One 8rd Magazine Included
    •Padded Carry Case
    •5" Barrel
    •Extended Beaver Tail
    •Skeleton Hammer
    •Ambidextrous Safety
    •Checkered Slide Stop and Mag Release
    •Dove-tailed Target Sights with a Lightweight Hammer and Trigger
    •Wood Grips
    $399.99

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I own and carry the XD45C. It is a great shooter and easily concealed.

I also own (as of Christmas) a Colt Defender and if you are looking for a compact 1911 style gun, but this Colt. Shoots great, looks fantastic, a real nice choice with the class of a Colt.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    would it be out of line to suggest investing in yourself by training with any of the fine firearms instructors on this board, or linked to from this board?

There are a whole bunch of them. Each with their own piece to the training puzzle. And unlike "stuff" they can't ban knowledge you already have.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I second RIA as a good entry point 1911 not best by no means but good value

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    Be careful on used sig's from my experience I have had a few and had some trouble FTF issues and FTE. It could have been my firearm and not a sig problem, just do your homework before you buy. Good luck hope you find what your looking for.

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have not had experence with Rock island but we have had several people who have bought them come in to the gun shop I work at that are really happy with them. The xd would be a good choice too.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I am a fan of the 1911, its clasic. I would look for a new RIA 1911 or a Taurus, or find a used 1911 Colt, Kimber, Sprinfield

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    If you are looking for lower cost and large caliber, dont forget the Bersa Thunder series of pistols that are offered in 9mm, 40 cal, and 45 cal. The price on these new is around $335 at Beech Grove Firearms. They dont have as big a name as many but are generally thought to be dependable, accurate shooters.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    would it be out of line to suggest investing in yourself by training with any of the fine firearms instructors on this board, or linked to from this board?

There are a whole bunch of them. Each with their own piece to the training puzzle. And unlike "stuff" they can't ban knowledge you already have.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definately take a look at training opportunities available through this site. You make a good point about not being able to ban knowledge, but that emphasizes the importance of getting the "stuff" before it gets banned.

Top Bottom