• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    Ok, so I have a gen 5 19 MOS and mounted a RMR type 2 RM06 on it. I have played with it at the range some and I just don't enjoy it like I thought I would.

So here's my question. I run the Romeo 5 on all my AR pistols and rifles and I do enjoy them, but since I'm going to take the RMR off of the 19 do you think putting it on one of the AR pistols would be a good move?

Curious as to everyone's input on this. I don't shoot competition and at the self defense distances I train at I'm just as good with irons as I am the RMR on the Glock.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think that sounds like a good plan, especially if you want to make your rifle a minimalist light weight setup.

You could also mount it at an offset angle with a magnified optic.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I was looking into if it would be a better optic for the application. I know RMR's are tough, but being so little, it kind of worries me tossing it around with the weight of the AR.

You have to keep in mind, that the RMR was designed to sit on top of a rifle mounted ACOG.
    They were then later adapted for handgun use. Thus why they ironed out some of the handgun issues with the second generation models.
    IMO, they see a lot more abuse on a handgun, due to the slide reciprocating with each shot.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    You have to keep in mind, that the RMR was designed to sit on top of a rifle mounted ACOG.
    They were then later adapted for handgun use. Thus why they ironed out some of the handgun issues with the second generation models.
    IMO, they see a lot more abuse on a handgun, due to the slide reciprocating with each shot.

I think I may try it out on my AR9 pistol. I'll just need to get a mount for it to give it a try. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I think I may try it out on my AR9 pistol. I'll just need to get a mount for it to give it a try. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    If you’ve already got it, I’d certainly try it out just to see. The UTG mounts are cheap and surprisingly well made. If you don’t know whether or not you’ll keep it, it won’t cause too much heartache just to check it out.

The biggest downside to the RMR on a rifle is that the emitter is exposed to dirt/dust/rain/etc as opposed to a tube style.

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    Don't enjoy if bc of struggling to use or it just isn't for you? The move to RDS on handgun is not something that happens without some time and effort.

If you're using it on a long gun as a backup to a magnified optic id say do it. If stand alone id swap it off. Technology is good enough for rifle use on less expensive options that don't require a remount to change batteries

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Don't enjoy if bc of struggling to use or it just isn't for you? The move to RDS on handgun is not something that happens without some time and effort.

If you're using it on a long gun as a backup to a magnified optic id say do it. If stand alone id swap it off. Technology is good enough for rifle use on less expensive options that don't require a remount to change batteries

couldnt agree more. It takes thousands of rounds to pick up that dot on draw under speed. Once you put in the time though, I dont think irons can compete....

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Ok, so I have a gen 5 19 MOS and mounted a RMR type 2 RM06 on it. I have played with it at the range some and I just don't enjoy it like I thought I would.

So here's my question. I run the Romeo 5 on all my AR pistols and rifles and I do enjoy them, but since I'm going to take the RMR off of the 19 do you think putting it on one of the AR pistols would be a good move?

Curious as to everyone's input on this. I don't shoot competition and at the self defense distances I train at I'm just as good with irons as I am the RMR on the Glock.
    There is no doubt that the RMR will be faster and more accurate unless you are shooting at distances where you don't have to use sights at all. But it does take some work. Going to an RMR from open sights, just like going to a higher caliber pistol or smaller pistol demanding a higher skill level, reveals weaknesses in technique. It is also a different concept. Conceptually you focus on the target and not the front sight.

You don't need to fire the gun to learn the skill. Take 5 minutes a day and practice raising the pistol until you see the dot. The only part of your body that should be moving is your arms to raise the pistol. Start out very slowly and only increase speed when you have mastered the previous level. The trick with an RMR is that you have to focus ONLY on the target and not the RMR. Raise the pistol until the RMR is on the target. If you look for the RMR you will never find it. I had to take a class to find this out and instructors reminding me and correcting my technique to reinforce the concept and leave the old behind.

Top Bottom