• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Ok so looking for some ideas to escape for a couple of days to a nice quiet sandy beach.

Preferably one that isn't too far away from Central Indiana say within 3-4 hours at most. Near enough to some decent hotels that has some space to relax with a couple of young ones and is clean. We have never been to Indiana Dunes or anywhere along Lake Michigan but have heard heading up onto Michigan might be our best bet.

Anyone have any good suggestions or places to avoid?

Thanks INGOtarians.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Take the time ot get to Sleeping Bear in Empire or one of the beaches in the Traverse City/Empire area.
    Within your planned range, Ludington is a good suggestion that I can second.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've read Oval Beach in Saugatuck, MI is one of the top ranked fresh-water beaches in the world... no idea if that's true, anybody with enough dedication can easily trump up enough positive stuff online for their local beach that it shows up in google searches etc...

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Ok so looking for some ideas to escape for a couple of days to a nice quiet sandy beach.

Preferably one that isn't too far away from Central Indiana say within 3-4 hours at most. Near enough to some decent hotels that has some space to relax with a couple of young ones and is clean. We have never been to Indiana Dunes or anywhere along Lake Michigan but have heard heading up onto Michigan might be our best bet.

Anyone have any good suggestions or places to avoid?

Thanks INGOtarians.

3 to 4 hours north of central ind up 31 would put you in to the Holland to Muskegon range. Ludington is great, so is the Stoney Lake to Silver Lake area, not to mention Pen****er, however they are up to 45 minutes north of your 4 hour range. South Haven, Holland, Grand Haven are also nice but much more busy. If you're willing to extend your drive by an hour and a half or so, I HIGHLY recommend the Leelenau Peninsula. Sleeping Bear Dunes/Manitous/Glen Arbor/Fish Town/Museum/Wineries/various lakes/Traverse City are really fun and really rural.

Pen****er? P e n t w a t e r

Last edited:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Grand Haven, Holland, Silver Lake.....all nice places. If you like Blueberry's they will be ready to pick in a couple of weeks.....

Like others said though....Grand Haven is kinda busy, but lots of stuff to see and do and a beautiful beach. I have family in the charter fishing business in Grand Haven, they also do scenic trips if you are into that kind of thing. The pro beach volleyball tour is there soon as well. And the coast guard festival....if you like crowds.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    New Buffalo isn't bad.It has a lighthouse,and a harbor.Weko beach in Bridgeman is nice,and it is connected to Warren Dunes State Park,with plenty of beach. Silver in St.Joe is nice with a lot of shops and good food.They also have a light house. I like the privacy,so I like Glenlord beach in Stevensville. All of these are in a 30 minute ride.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Well the verdict is in and Silver Lake near Hart MI is the destination. Right at the 5 hour point but figured going a little further would eliminate what we could miss just up around the bend. I love the idea of some adult play in the sand driving my 4x4 out on some dunes! $60 for flags and tags. Just an FYI that Warren Dunes beach and surrounding areas are closed due to algae blooms and contaminated water, so checking a beach before you head out is likely a good idea. Even talked to someone at Silver Lake who mentioned it can happen there or anywhere with the right conditions.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Well the verdict is in and Silver Lake near Hart MI is the destination. Right at the 5 hour point but figured going a little further would eliminate what we could miss just up around the bend. I love the idea of some adult play in the sand driving my 4x4 out on some dunes! $60 for flags and tags. Just an FYI that Warren Dunes beach and surrounding areas are closed due to algae blooms and contaminated water, so checking a beach before you head out is likely a good idea. Even talked to someone at Silver Lake who mentioned it can happen there or anywhere with the right conditions.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!!

Be careful on them dunes........them guys and there 100 MPH sand buggies/ATV's mixed with tour buggies.......I seen some near misses, or near hits.......depending on how you look at it. That is an awesome place though.....water is like glass!

Have fun.....be safe....

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Sleeping Bear Dunes is really really cool. Very hard to be IN the water at the park, but there are places nearby.

Very cold water, though...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Silver Beach in Saint Joseph is pretty nice, and not too expensive. Check that out.

Years ago I rented a cottage on the beach in St Joe. Was a pretty awesome weekend except for all the sand in the house. In the cupboards, in the drawers, in the corners, closets, sand.

Top Bottom