Good Tent camping site @ Brown County State Park?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I'm looking to take my wife "car-camping" for the first time for one night in May. The idea is to stay in a tent at one of the state parks, do some hiking, cook some food outdoors, have some adult beverages, and maybe even take another couple and our dogs along with us.

I have heard great things about Brown County and see that there are some non-electric sites on the DNR site in "Raccoon Ridge". Is that a decent spot? Can you recommend a better spot in the park? Any recommendations for a specific site?

thanks

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Any of the primitive sites at BCSP are great. I usually stay in Raccoon Ridge. We do a bike trip down there at least twice a year.

One thing to note. RR is at the high end of the park. So any hiking/riding you do will take you downhill. I.E. Hesitation Point. You will need to hike back up at the end of the day, so be prepared.

jb1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    What about Greene-Sullivan State Forest? It's a bit more of a drive for you but shouldn't be as populated.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Raccoon ridge is IMHO the best tent camping loop in brown county sp. It has the most "in the woods" feel.

There are also some great sites in yellowwood state forst right on the north end of the lake. You can check those out for free as you don't pay to go into yellowwood. Here is the property map

http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-Yellowwood_map.pdf

Yellowwood has some decent hiking trails too. But the biggest upside is once the lake water starts warming up there is some awesome pan fishing to be done as the bluegill start coming into the shallow coves to spawn.

Top Bottom