• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I recently sold my LCP. I loved the concealment capability of the pistol but hated that darn trigger, recoil and small grip. Truthfully, I just hated shooting the thing! I would like to see what the members feel would be a good replacement that comes the closest to the LCP in size and concealment, is comfortable to shoot and in 9mm. I considered the LC9 but figured it would share the same problems as it's little brother. Thanks for any advice and I'm looking forward to your recommendations for my next purchase.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    It sounds like your problems with size, trigger, weight, grip, and recoil aren't going to be alleviated by buying a gun of a similar size to the LCP. Everything is a compromise. The LCP, and it's like, have great concealability, but generally will suffer from the issues that you described. On the other hand, a S&W 686+ will remedy all of the issues you have, except it isn't very concealable and has some heft to it.

Maybe you should consider a larger handgun? Perhaps something around the Glock 19 size, or a tad smaller? Maybe a little J-frame revolver?

R33D0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Hi Cemetary-Man, I too used to carry a Ruger LCP and found myself hating the trigger, I moved up to a Kahr CM9 which is only slightly bigger and I found myself liking the trigger quite a bit more. The trigger is not as heavy and has a smooth pull till fire. Hope this Helps.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    If you are willing to compromise a bit, I'm continually impressed with an SR9C that I picked up about 6 month ago. It has an excellent factory trigger, and I'm comfortable carrying it IWB every single day. I thoroughly enjoy shooting it, and after close to 400 rounds, not a single hiccup.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I too am looking to replace my LCP in the next year or so for the same reasons. I am content with the .380 for pocket carry though.
    Here are a couple of small, single stack Nines I have had, compared in size directly to the LCP.
    Left to right is the Sig P290RS with laser, the Kimber Solo Carry, and the LCP. Both of the Nines were great for pocket carry, shot well, were controllable and were very well made.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ruger LCP = pocket gun. Even if that is not how one chooses to carry I use this as a generic classification. My "pocket gun" of choice is a Smith & Wesson 642. I just never felt the love for the little .380s

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I just picked up a Sig P238 in place of the LCP (of course I got the USMC edition), but in my hands It felt better, I liked the trigger much better as well. Not Huge fan of the SAO (mini 1911), but so far I love the gun! Tad more expensive as well, but I'm happy with my purchase!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Dry fire practice will almost always cure any trigger pull problems. Try 3 days a week, for 10 minutes, for a month.

My wife and I have each carried an LCP w/CT laser for 3 years now, don't even notice the trigger or recoil anymore.

Pocket guns were never intended to be fun or comfortable to shoot. It's not a fun range toy, that's not it's purpose. It's purpose is to be easy to carry, and possibly save you or a loved ones life. In a self defense situation you sure won't notice the trigger or recoil.

You have to develop the muscle memory for any gun.
    Take to the range, shoot two mag's of ammo. Put it away, then pull out your range toy.

As with any new gun, it takes practice. You can't buy an LCP and stick in your pocket and call it good. A gun is suppose to be comforting, not comfortable.

The LCP's that started shipping in 2013, do have an improved trigger.

It's usually not the guns fault. :)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I hate to say it but what you are looking for may not exist just yet. There aren't many pocket guns that are comfortable to shoot that are the same size as the LCP and in 9mm. I have one and I carry it when I am unable to carry a larger pistol and admittedly it is a little beast to shoot. But as looney said, they aren't really going to be that comfortable to shoot. The Shield or the P238 are great options but you are looking at a more expensive piece in the latter and a larger piece in the former. There are times I'd rather shoot a .500 S&W than practice with that little piece but I want to carry it and I make due. Dry firing does help a ton and the newer models have a much improved upon trigger. But even with that, if I were looking for something close to your criteria, Glock 42 for a .380...not sure what I'd pick to keep it that small and in 9mm. Most likely the Shield.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Thanks! Great info everyone. You sure gave me lot to think about. I love the process of researching and finding that next "perfect" handgun. Please keep the suggestions and info coming.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I picked up the LCP for the wife. Her sisters friend had one and my wife thought it was just the thing to have. I took her out back to shoot it and that was the last time she has had any thing to do with it. She hates the trigger and it has to much recoil for her.

We were out at a gun shop and she found a Sig that she liked the trigger and it was heaver than the LCP so I would think it has less recoil. If the Sig is bigger than the LCP it isn't by much. The only down side to Sig is it cost almost twice what the LCP cost.

The plan is to get it for her this coming month.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We sold the wife's LCP for the reasons stated in the OP. She now carries a Sig P238 and loves it. It is slightly bigger and more expensive but you get what you pay for. We were lucky enough to find one of the extended magazines which helps the grip a lot. She just shot a 100 rd. NRA Pro Marksman qualification course with no problem. The only issue I can think of is some people are not comfortable carrying "cocked and locked".

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    SIG would seem to be a good choice. Got to hold one in my hand at the LGS, felt great.

BUT...what I carry is an LC9. Never jammed, accurate at close range. The trigger? Meh...I got used to it. Price point decent, reliability excellent, easy to carry too...I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have an LCP, picked it up just because of its tiny size, and conceal-ability. While it does fill the roll that I purchased it for, it does leave a bit to be desired. I still have it, and do carry it from time to time (The pocket 380 is just about as small as you will find in a serviceable SD caliber) I tend to favor my J frames for EDC when size is an issue. It is a tad bigger to carry, but weight (even with the Model 60) is reasonable, and they are much more pleasant for me to shoot.

The closest thing that I can think of that would fit your list of criteria is a Kahr, or maybe a Sig, and both of those options will give up a bit in the size/weight department if you go with a 9mm.

Top Bottom