• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    What would be a good scope to put on a 10/22. I want to use for hunting, playing the .22 cal games etc. Don't mind changing stocks for the different games but want to keep just the one scope. I was told by a computer to use a Zeis LRP S3 First Focal Plane Reticle, 6-36, so I can see the target well. He said go better if I could, but this cope seems way over priced to the rifle!!!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    A&A Optics will get you sorted out on a scope, but you're going to need more than just a scope. You'll need a quality scope mount rail and quality rings.

A&A Optics can get you sorted out on these items as well. However, if you choose to do your own research, I'd start with EGW rails ( https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/?model=614 ), and Warne rings as a baseline.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hunting to me means lighter weight and some offhand shooting.
    For dual usage I wouldn't go over 4-12X AO

My CZ rimfire sporter got less mag.........3-9X AO

Guys I know doing NRL22 are running big heavy scopes of much higher mag.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    No need to break the bank in order to have a good time. If you get serious about it, you can upgrade later.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    More magnification is great for lobbing expensive .22LR rounds at longer ranges, and hitting consistently. The same with shooting really tiny targets a little closer in. A real bonus is having to ability to spot your own hits through the scope. That said, precision to justify the higher magnification might be better suited to a bolt gun over a semi-auto?

- I like a QD mount system that allows moving the more expensive glass to different rifles. Precision .22 scope can double as your centerfire varmint scope if needed. Same with handloading load development or wringing out the best factory load for your rifle.
    - Mildots or Milrad is way more versatile than hunter holdover style reticles.
    - Side focus parallax adjustment is way better than objective

Unless you are varmint hunting from close to the house or car, you will not appreciate the extra weight or size of the higher magnification for packing around the outdoors much.

:twocents:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    @42769vette is going to ask what your budget is. I have this https://aaoptics.com/DIAMONDBACK-2-7X35-RIMFIRE-RIFLESCOPE-_p_47.html on my 10/22 and it works well, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish. I would think 6-36 is serious overkill.
    This is what I went with for mine. I hunt with it mostly raccoon, and the 2-7 is perfect for that.

However, if you want to shoot nice small groups at 50+ yards this scope doesn't give the fine details that a more powerful target scope will give you.
    That said with the right ammunition my 10/22 likes I can shoot under 0.75" 10 shot groups using eley force at 50yds.
    My hunting round is CCI Segmented hyper velocity. Nowhere as accurate as eley force, but at 25yds it shoots well enough to hit a raccoon in the head at the top of some of these 80 foot oak trees they like to run to the top of.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    A&A Optics will get you sorted out on a scope, but you're going to need more than just a scope. You'll need a quality scope mount rail and quality rings.

A&A Optics can get you sorted out on these items as well. However, if you choose to do your own research, I'd start with EGW rails ( https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/?model=614 ), and Warne rings as a baseline.
    Agree with TJ.

Alan got me sorted out with a Strike Eagle 1-6x24 for my 10/22. It has taken rabbits; it has helped me win skills challenges.

Another suggestion, get yourself on Alan's mailing list and wait for a batch of refurbished scopes which occurs several times a year. Be ready to jump, they sell out quickly. The refurbs come with the same great warranty and quality, at a great discount.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Agree with TJ.

Alan got me sorted out with a Strike Eagle 1-6x24 for my 10/22. It has taken rabbits; it has helped me win skills challenges.

Another suggestion, get yourself on Alan's mailing list and wait for a batch of refurbished scopes which occurs several times a year. Be ready to jump, they sell out quickly. The refurbs come with the same great warranty and quality, at a great discount.
    This. I bought 2 refurbs from Alan. A bigger scope for my new 308 and a smaller one for my rimfire. It worked out to be a buy one get one free with the refurb discounts. (compared to new) And if you looked at my boxes and the scopes inside, you'd have no idea they were refurbs. DEFINITELY jump on that :poop: its worth it.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    What would be a good scope to put on a 10/22. I want to use for hunting, playing the .22 cal games etc. Don't mind changing stocks for the different games but want to keep just the one scope. I was told by a computer to use a Zeis LRP S3 First Focal Plane Reticle, 6-36, so I can see the target well. He said go better if I could, but this cope seems way over priced to the rifle!!!

What do you mean by .22 cal games? And at what range are you hunting? I have a SiG Romeo5 on my 10/22 which has made it even more fun to shoot and with the red dot you can really fly while still being on target, even at 15-20 yards I was hitting a 3 inch splatter target 25/25 times several times in a row.

If you are wanting magnification, I can’t help you much. I don’t have much experience in magnified optics outside of a Primary Arms LPVO I didn’t like much because of how tight the eyebox was when at higher magnifications. I’m a huge red dot and holo sight fan though. Thinking about trying out a magnifier for the eotech eventually.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    What do you mean by .22 cal games? And at what range are you hunting? I have a SiG Romeo5 on my 10/22 which has made it even more fun to shoot and with the red dot you can really fly while still being on target, even at 15-20 yards I was hitting a 3 inch splatter target 25/25 times several times in a row.

If you are wanting magnification, I can’t help you much. I don’t have much experience in magnified optics outside of a Primary Arms LPVO I didn’t like much because of how tight the eyebox was when at higher magnifications. I’m a huge red dot and holo sight fan though. Thinking about trying out a magnifier for the eotech eventually.
    I tried running a red dot for squirrels…… definitely made me miss some magnification

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    There are a number of good 22 dedicated optics. I have used a Nikon 22 scope, and it's been a very nice one. I would also suggest vortex.
    Personally, I wouldn't break the bank on a 10/22 scope.

Top Bottom