• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    This is why I won't ever use one of those ancestry DNA companies. Not that I plan on committing any crimes, but the tinfoil hatter in me has always wondered who they share my info with.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Oh! I wonder if those are all really just the .gov in disguise collecting DNA from as many people as they can to add to their database.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is why I won't ever use one of those ancestry DNA companies. Not that I plan on committing any crimes, but the tinfoil hatter in me has always wondered who they share my info with.

Bingo. Everytime we talk about possible overreaching or invasion of privacy here on ingo people are always quick to throw out the tin foil label. Well heres another case where the tin foil crowd was right and as the veil gets lifted on more and more things we are finding that the extreme conspiracy theories arent really that extreme and there is a lot of truth in some of them.
    I get so tired of hearing, "the technology to do that isnt out there and if it was I would know about it because that's what I do every day, bla bla bla. Well theres a lot of **** that goes on that even top people inside our government don't know other parts of the government are doing so that arguement doesn't hold water for me. You may not know it exists but you cannot guarentee it doesn't and just because it would make your job easier now and actually solve cases it doesn't mean they're gonna let you gave access to it.
    Police, the government have a vested interest In keeping secret how they do things and obtain information to catch people and will lie and deceive all day every day if thats what it takes. This is why I trust official statements from all government sources as much as someone who tells me their ass hole smells like roses.

Am I glad they caught this animal even If it's way too late? Yes. But if one innocent persons rights or privacy have been compromised to do it then no I'm not and I dont give a **** if law enforcement likes that principal or not. This is well engrained in what our founding fathers wrote about and intended for our republic.

Your DNA is the most sacred thing you own. Why on earth would you just freely hand it out for stupid **** even if you have nothing to hide, I dont understand myself but hey it's yours to give I guess.
    With the technology and future abilities who knows what they could do with it. To me handing it out is as reckless as leaving a used condom in a Russian hookers trashcan. looking past why you even picked a Russian hooker (gold digger).

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I know little about genetics, but it seems like mitochondrial DNA changes very little by generation. If a member of your extended family thinks geneology testing is a fun and cool idea, you have now become a member of the DNA data bank.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    It was announced on the news tonight that they got it from one of the genealogy DNA sites, but they didnt share which one....

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...ce-find-golden-state-killer-suspect/23422105/

SACRAMENTO, Calif., April 26 (Reuters) - California investigators tracked down the man they suspect is the Golden State Killer by comparing crime scene DNA to information on genealogy websites consumers use to trace their ancestry, a prosecutor said on Thursday

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I know little about genetics, but it seems like mitochondrial DNA changes very little by generation. If a member of your extended family thinks geneology testing is a fun and cool idea, you have now become a member of the DNA data bank.

From reading the story link I posted above, it does appear they found him through a relative who was in a commercial genealogy database.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    From want I can tell it sounds like no wrong was done in regards to the DNA sample "if" the family member volunteered the sample. I bet a a family member had a suspicion that he did it and contacted police. I am glad the SOB is off the street.

I think that if the police were able to get the DNA threw a warrant the family history DNA biz will loose a lot of customers.

Here is an interesting video about the "behind the scenes" at 23andme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3EEmVfbKNs

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    From reading the story link I posted above, it does appear they found him through a relative who was in a commercial genealogy database.

From want I can tell it sounds like no wrong was done in regards to the DNA sample "if" the family member volunteered the sample. I bet a a family member had a suspicion that he did it and contacted police. I am glad the SOB is off the street.

I think that if the police were able to get the DNA threw a warrant the family history DNA biz will loose a lot of customers.

Here is an interesting video about the "behind the scenes" at 23andme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3EEmVfbKNs

See the post above yours, 1911ly. A relative sent in THEIR sample, and it was a partial match. They did not send in HIS DNA. Police started looking at those around the crimes and realized he was related to the sample giver and would be a partial match. They then surveiled him and waited for him to discard DNA. (think cigarette butt, chewing gum, spit on the sidewalk, etc) They retrieved it and matched their sample from the crime.

So his sample wasnt sent in, they just got close thanks to a blood relative.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When you get enough information it's just a matter of doing the math. DNA info at one of the history sites was relative close to what the police had. Do the math and you can fill in enough squares that with additional info, make an arrest.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I heard from a friend that knew one of the detectives, that they got the match from one of the trendy DNA Sharing Services such as 23andme.com or ancestry.com. :shady:

It was announced on the news tonight that they got it from one of the genealogy DNA sites, but they didnt share which one....

Guess that shouldn't have been purple.
    Goes to show how much our "private information" is no longer private.

All said and done, I am glad that the families of the victims will finally get some closure.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ya... but you just wait til you find out that hospitals collect samples from all newborns.

Utopia here we come...

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    They had his DNA from the 45 rapes. No fingerprints since he always wore gloves. The investigators submitted his DNA under a fake name to open an source DNA database (GEDMatch). They got a close match on a relative, (web sources imply a grandchild). The investigators then used the family tree breakout to identify a specific suspect. They then collected a DNA sample from the suspects trash and got a 100% match.

Even if you have never submitted a DNA sample, any sample from a member of your extended family can be linked back to you. Say hello to our new DNA overlords.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    ^this...
    radio today had some attys and professors talking about how this case will be testing the boundries of user privacy as he did not give his dna to the website but by indirect methods he was found as his relatives had THEIR dna on the website.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    ^this...
    radio today had some attys and professors talking about how this case will be testing the boundries of user privacy as he did not give his dna to the website but by indirect methods he was found as his relatives had THEIR dna on the website.
    People are all to happy to share all kinds of :poop: these days.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    but HE did not share anything.
    its the same concepts with facebook it has been discovered that fb has shadow profiles on just about everyone. so while you may never have signed up for fb if i did and since i have your phone num, email, name and post a pic of you and me. fb now has info on you as well and that data is fb not mine.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    but HE did not share anything.
    its the same concepts with facebook it has been discovered that fb has shadow profiles on just about everyone. so while you may never have signed up for fb if i did and since i have your phone num, email, name and post a pic of you and me. fb now has info on you as well and that data is fb not mine.
    Exactly. Pictures, videos, DNA, etc. People will share and share and the rest of the world gets caught up in the web.

Top Bottom