Going to St. Elmos for the first time, what do you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Never been, going in a few weeks. I know shrimp cocktail is what they are known for but I dont like shrimp. What do you recommend to get?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Get the shrimp cocktail and the french onion soup. Put some of the cocktail sauce in your bowl of French onion soup.

And a steak...

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Never been, going in a few weeks. I know shrimp cocktail is what they are known for but I dont like shrimp. What do you recommend to get?

Be'ns ya ask'd.......:):

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/pd_demi_moore_st_elmos_fire_nt_120125_wmain.jpg

http://www.mtv.com/movies/photos/s/st_elmos_fire_090814/st_elmos_fire_camilla_belle.jpg

http://www.movieactors.com/photos-stars/andie-macdowell-saintelmosfire-4.jpg
    (chic can shoot a bow.....like nobody's bizznizz.....:):)

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Cowboy ribeye if you want the true Fred Flinstone effect. My son is a server at Harry and Izzy's and that is one of his recommendations for someone that wants the "full experience"

Oh, and don't worry if you don't like shrimp.....You won't be able to taste it over the fire of the cocktail sauce :)::)::)::):

Interpon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Skip the shrimp if you dont like it....but cocktail sauce a must..even on a cracker..imo steaks overrated..go with what others recomend beyond steak..unless you really like steak

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Skip the shrimp if you dont like it....but cocktail sauce a must..even on a cracker..imo steaks overrated..go with what others recomend beyond steak..unless you really like steak

+1 on this. It's fun to eat at a famous place once in awhile. Steaks are steaks though. You can only make a steak so good. I have yet to eat a steak that is better than what I can cook in my backyard on the grill. Well, I did eat a darn good bone-in ribeye at restaurant in Orange County, CA and an awesome Filet at a place in Seattle. They may be tough to beat! lol.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Unless you're really set on St Elmos, I'd suggest saving a BUNCH of money and go to Bynums on South Meridian St. The steaks are just as good if not better at half the price. They have a dish called "sirloin for two". Even though sirloin may not be the best cut of steak, theirs are simply awesome and I swear that dish could feed at least 5 people. Plus, somebody from INGO either works there or is an owner or something. I can't remember which.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Unless you're really set on St Elmos, I'd suggest saving a BUNCH of money and go to Bynums on South Meridian St. The steaks are just as good if not better at half the price. They have a dish called "sirloin for two". Even though sirloin may not be the best cut of steak, theirs are simply awesome and I swear that dish could feed at least 5 people. Plus, somebody from INGO either works there or is an owner or something. I can't remember which.

Bynum's is good but doubt I'll ever go back. Went the night of the ncaa tournament going on a few weeks ago. Between waiting at the hostess stand and sitting at the bar, nobody so much as looked at us, attempted to take a drink order, or anything for 30 minutes.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Get the shrimp cocktail even if you don't like shrimp, you can't taste the shrimp anyway, listen to what the waiter recommends, I've never had a bad meal picking from the waiters recommendations

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Bynum's is good but doubt I'll ever go back. Went the night of the ncaa tournament going on a few weeks ago. Between waiting at the hostess stand and sitting at the bar, nobody so much as looked at us, attempted to take a drink order, or anything for 30 minutes.

Don't write off Bynum's, just go further South to the one located in Martinsville.
    While the menu's may be the same, they are managed and operated by different Owner's.
    Each has a different perspective on providing service and a top notch steak.
    The button mushrooms should not be overlookd either.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

I won't try to excuse that kind of service. All I can say is everyone has a bad day once in a while. Maybe it was just their day? I've been there multiple times and never experienced anything like this. I'll also say that since I dislike crowds, I tend to go out on off nights when most places aren't quite as busy.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    go to Bynums, somebody from INGO either works there or is an owner or something. I can't remember which.

Hi there! That one is owned by my Grandfather and run by my Step-Uncle. It is not the original, nor is it associated with me or my family anymore.

Bynum's is good but doubt I'll ever go back.

The one in Indy is nothing more than a cheap imitation of the Original Bynum's in Martinsville. Still though I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Please feel free to come on down south a bit and let us show you what Bynum's was SUPPOSED to be.

Don't write off Bynum's, just go further South to the one located in Martinsville.
    While the menu's may be the same, they are managed and operated by different Owner's.
    Each has a different perspective on providing service and a top notch steak.
    The button mushrooms should not be overlookd either.

Thank you kind sir! Always glad to have you and yours stop by! One of these days we will have to actually meat. Get it, Meat? HA!

EDT to add: Our menus are no longer exactly the same. While we still have the main staples of the base menu the market on meat and produce has skyrocketed in the last few years. While we refuse to sacrifice quality to save money, we have added and deleted some menu items to appeal to the local demographic better. For instance we now serve fresh ground ~13-16 oz cheese burgers every Wednesday night but they are usually available on request. They aremade from fresh ground premium beef. And we grind each one to order. A few other things are different on our menu too but I haven't seen their menu in 15 years so I can't say exactly what the differences are anymore.

St. Elmo's is pretty good. I've only been once myself, and wasn't blown away by the steak but it wasn't bad either. The decor is pretty cool and it has that fancy old world atmosphere. But everything is ala carte so be prepared to spend more money than you should have to for a complete dinner. Salad, sides, drinks, everything is ala carte an IHMO a bit over priced. Still fun and cool experiance and it is a local Landmark in Indy so I think it is definately worth checking out atleast once.

Speaking of restuarants I have to be getting off to work soon. Dinner opening is at 5. Hope to see you guys there!

Last edited:

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    I went there last week for dinner and they had a Dry Aged Bone In NY as a special, most of their steaks are wet aged, it was amazing.
    And of course their Shrimp Cocktail is a must.
    They are slightly better then the chains, Morton's etc.
    Be prepared to spend $100 a person.

Mike

Top Bottom