• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ok, here goes, Years ago after my son was born, my company was on strike, and I was working at a job to keep the lights on, but no insurance. I came home one night and my wife had a very tasty pot pie for dinner... I asked her where she gt the recipe, she said "listen to this! That afternoon, she was looking in our food pantry and said out loud "God what am I going to feed my family for dinner"? She said no more than 15 minutes later there was a knock on the door, my wife opened it, and a lady was there and said "Here Lisa, here's dinner for tonight" My wife was stunned, but took the pot pie, thanked her, and closed the door, when she thought about it, she opened it back up, and the lady was gone....God is great!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    God, the Holy Spirit has talked to me very few times that I remember.
    One time when I had a motorcycle accident I died and was revived. When I woke up in the hospital, God said "You've won the victory the victory is yours" and He repeated it.
    The next time when I was dying of cancer He said "you're giving up too easy" and He repeated it.
    The third time He said "Always choose life" and repeated it a second time.
    The fourth time He said "You shall not die but live and proclaim My works" when He removed my cancer entirely.
    I am now waiting to hear Him say welcome home son.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I love this thread.

6 years ago, I was in a bad place. Just angry, all the time. Wife and I were trying for a long time to have a baby. Just never happened.

Then, on December 24, 2016, GOD revealed himself to me, proving he is indeed real. Brought home a baby that Christmas evening.

I now have 2 sons that mean the world to me, and we go to church every Sunday.

Wife and I sold our house in a small town, now live out in the country with some acreage. Raising our boys to be “country boys”.

Last night, wife and I went to see a MercyMe concert. It was great to worship with so many other people.

GOD is good.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Unfortunately, in this crazy world we inhabit many of us have become poor listeners and others are completely deaf. This is a good reminder for all of us to shut up and listen a little more often.

Amen.

I can easily imagine someone reading the story I shared earlier and thinking that guy has it together.

Ummm... no, I occasionally have it together. Most of the time I'm just your average idiot that isn't paying attention. A thread like this is a great reminder!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Appreciate you guys talking about this stuff and very happy for OP. I have always tried to remain God's son, and I always rely on him to protect me and my family from evil and I will never deny or blame him. I try to live by the greatest 10 rules. But my question is....have any of you ever had your faith shattered? Have you ever felt like even though we have been taught he will never give us more than we can carry, that you are at that limit? I have really been down on my luck lately. Seems everything is against me, including me. Deep down, I am a little angry at God, but it don't mean I don't believe....I just don't understand, and I guess that is ok, we are not suppose to understand it all....right? But there are times I really feel like God is angry with me right now. Is that even possible? I lay down every night with anger in my heart. I have no room in my soul to forgive a few people. I will go to my grave and never forgive them, that is just how it is. I know I should be counting my blessings, I have been very blessed. Am I stuck between the old proverbial rock and a hard space? Forgive or live tormented? Sorry to be Debbie Downer and hijack your post.......just kind of hoping some of you have some words of wisdom.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Appreciate you guys talking about this stuff and very happy for OP. I have always tried to remain God's son, and I always rely on him to protect me and my family from evil and I will never deny or blame him. I try to live by the greatest 10 rules. But my question is....have any of you ever had your faith shattered? Have you ever felt like even though we have been taught he will never give us more than we can carry, that you are at that limit? I have really been down on my luck lately. Seems everything is against me, including me. Deep down, I am a little angry at God, but it don't mean I don't believe....I just don't understand, and I guess that is ok, we are not suppose to understand it all....right? But there are times I really feel like God is angry with me right now. Is that even possible? I lay down every night with anger in my heart. I have no room in my soul to forgive a few people. I will go to my grave and never forgive them, that is just how it is. I know I should be counting my blessings, I have been very blessed. Am I stuck between the old proverbial rock and a hard space? Forgive or live tormented? Sorry to be Debbie Downer and hijack your post.......just kind of hoping some of you have some words of wisdom.
    Probably no words of wisdom besides I have been there, to be completely honest I’m not in a very good place with God right now, don’t get me wrong, I know he loves me and he’s always got my back, but I just don’t feel like opening my heart to it lately, I also don’t understand why, and probably won’t until I can see it through His eyes, but my heart has been on lockdown for awhile and I don’t know why or what to really do to change that right now. I do know that God loves us unconditionally, and none of us are perfect, we all have failures and sins, but remember this, God knew about all those before he put breath in your lungs. He knows the how and why that we aren’t able to understand.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I thought your comments about being angry with God, echo what most experience.
    God is not surprised with our anger.
    When our expectations are not met when God doesn't do what we want, when we want & how we want, we are angry with God.

You are in good company.
    A small sample of some famous Bible characters who were angry with God:
    - Jeremiah wrote about his anger with God in his prophecy.
    - Jonah angrily pouts when God spares Nineveh.
    - The 12 minor prophets have been called, "The 12 Angry Men."
    - King David expressed anger at God in many of his writings.
    - Moses, the same.
    - Job, quite upset.
    - Elijah

The other issue of being angry at others & can't forgive them describes the normal human condition.
    It is one that can be so difficult & can take time, but Jesus was very specific that it must be addressed.
    We are a forgiven people, & it is expected for ourselves to grow into becoming a forgiving people.
    Easier said than done, of course.
    Without God's help & intervention, it doesn't get done and then not w/o great effort & a high level of spiritual maturity that must be grown into & doesn't happen quickly when there has been deep hurt done against us.

In my own personal life, in praying the "Lord's Prayer," where it says:
    "forgive us our sins, as we forgive others,"
    the words can give me pause & difficult to repeat if I have "aught" in my heart against someone.
    Took me years to forgive 4 different people in my life for wrongs done:
    - alcoholic & abusive father
    - "difficult" foster Mom
    - evil older foster brother
    - lazy Principal who didn't do his job filling out paperwork and it cost me over $100,000 dollars in lost income in the due course of my teaching career.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    But my question is....have any of you ever had your faith shattered? Have you ever felt like even though we have been taught he will never give us more than we can carry, that you are at that limit?
    I feel for you brother, but feel the need to make a correction. Nowhere does scripture say that God will not give us more than we can handle.

Paul was in a similar place and God said “My grace is enough”. In other words, God will never give us more than what His grace can overcome.

I have been in your shoes. My wife cheated on me and wanted to leave me for the other guy, which would have resulted in me losing my job, my house, and my kids. (long story) I was pissed, hurt, devastated, even had thoughts of ending my life. I remember falling on my knees in tears and pleading with God to take this burden from me. I questioned Him why he would bring this on me and my family.

God spoke to me that night. He asked me how many times I had been unfaithful to Him. He told me that every time that I was unfaithful He forgave me and welcomed me with open arms. He told me that nobody could hurt me more than the hurt that he endured for me. And he said that His grace is enough.

I stood up in that moment with a peace that I cannot explain. I knew that no matter what happened, I would be alright. Long story short, my wife and I reconciled, and are thriving. I did lose my job, and my house, but looking back it was actually a blessing because it forced me into a much better place.

You can do this brother, as long as you claim Gods grace.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yes sir. I wouldn't say my faith was shattered but it was definitely tested. Was in a pretty bad spot for a number of years. We lost our son and then a cancer diagnosis with some not great odds, then the treatment took most of my lung function. It's been a few years and I've done a lot of thinking. I've come to the conclusion that my faith is what actually got me through, I didn't see that then. Don't get me wrong though I have some questions when I get there, I hope to have some answers some day.

Stay Strong.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    l0pPNPKh.jpg

I spent the majority of my life disregarding those little voices in my head. Diagnosed as hyperactive as a kid (pre ADHD) I've always just attributed them to something wrong or different with my brain, a minimal distraction at worst. That changed about six months ago and a lot has changed with it. I won't go into lengthy details or get preachy but wanted to share this story, maybe it's meaningless or maybe it'll get a few people thinking.

The weather is garbage out here today. 21*F and 20mph steady wind had me trying to decide if I should put the horses out or leave them in until the wind relents. They don't have much to block the wind and they're pretty pampered so this isn't an unusual decision. I decided not to be in any hurry to put them out and was helping my wife get the house cleaned up. She had a few trash bags brought down from upstairs so I decided to take them out. As soon as I cleared the back door the wind hit me and if nothing else, solidified my decision to leave the horses in. I walked the trash bags over the the big bins outside and turned them so the wind wouldn't blow the lids open. I was not enjoying the breeze up my tailpipe and was ready to get back inside as quickly as possible, but something, some thing told me to put the horses out. I don't hear it often and when I do it's still very subtle and easy to disregard but it is unique among other "thoughts" that litter my mind most of the time.

I started walking out to the barn, grumbling about the cold and as soon as my nose cleared the threshold of the open barn door I could smell it. Smoke. I looked around the corner of the divider wall I put up a few years ago and saw the heat lamp, which had been providing comfort to the two small 4H piggies my daughter brought home Wednesday was now lying face down in the pine shavings. The aluminum shroud was singed and a dark smoking spot had spread over about a 12" x 18" area of the pine shavings and the piggies were in the opposite corner, still sleeping. I picked up the heat lamp, unplugged it and sat it where it wouldn't ignite anything, grabbed a bucket sitting next to the water hydrant and put the smoldering shavings out.

Our barn, especially pre spring cleaning time is literally covered in a few inches of bone dry hay. Busting bales open and carrying the flakes to the other side of the barn to feed leaves a lot of hay everywhere. Those smoldering shavings were within a couple of inches of getting to the hay and from there the entire barn would have gone up in minutes. We'd have lost our four horses, two goats, both piggies and likely a handful of chickens which like to hang out in there when it's cold.

I'm thankful for that voice. Call it what you will but I know what it is, I know who it is. I'm thankful that I have ears to hear it now, that I know how to listen for it.
    Sometimes it is your subconscious picking up signals your conscious mind misses, sometimes it's luck, but I've saved a lot of aggravation over the years by listening to that still small voice in the back of my mind that says, "Better go double check that. " Don't see anything wrong with calling it the voice of God. I've seen evidence for that too.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yes sir. I wouldn't say my faith was shattered but it was definitely tested. Was in a pretty bad spot for a number of years. We lost our son and then a cancer diagnosis with some not great odds, then the treatment took most of my lung function. It's been a few years and I've done a lot of thinking. I've come to the conclusion that my faith is what actually got me through, I didn't see that then. Don't get me wrong though I have some questions when I get there., I hope to have some answers some day.

Stay Strong.
    Sir, It is people like you that keep me rolling on. I start feeling sorry for myself, then I look around and realize I have it very good, compared to others. I think you are right. As I look and reflect upon it.....it probably is my faith that has held me up. So sorry for your son, I know all too well what a hole that rips in our souls. Glad you are doing well. Thank you for sharing and God Bless you!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Probably no words of wisdom besides I have been there, to be completely honest I’m not in a very good place with God right now, don’t get me wrong, I know he loves me and he’s always got my back, but I just don’t feel like opening my heart to it lately, I also don’t understand why, and probably won’t until I can see it through His eyes, but my heart has been on lockdown for awhile and I don’t know why or what to really do to change that right now. I do know that God loves us unconditionally, and none of us are perfect, we all have failures and sins, but remember this, God knew about all those before he put breath in your lungs. He knows the how and why that we aren’t able to understand.
    this is where i've been the last few years. i still pray and talk to God ocassionally, but not like i should. I'm unmotivated and not myself lately. Part of it might just be getting older, and I've had a few hard knocks lately, but also possibly some good things to come, we'll see...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I'm so happy thing's turned out the way they did but....I'm gonna be the one to say it. Heat lamps and pine shavings plus hay Do Not Mix. Your asking for disaster. God is great and I know that. I was almost with him a few weeks ago and im not even exaggerating. God may have been sending another message to find a safer way...:ingo:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm so happy thing's turned out the way they did but....I'm gonna be the one to say it. Heat lamps and pine shavings plus hay Do Not Mix. Your asking for disaster. God is great and I know that. I was almost with him a few weeks ago and im not even exaggerating. God may have been sending another message to find a safer way...:ingo:
    Your wife asked "does this make me look fat" and you started to respond wrong again?

Top Bottom