• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Shooting left of center is nothing new for the Glock design and certainly not exclusive to the Gen5. Some pistols seem to do it and some don't but I will say that we are seeing it less with the 17M than we have with previous generations. A significant number of pistols that shoot left mysteriously stop if someone else shoots the pitsol. When it does turn out to be the pistol if it doesn't require a significant adjustment of the rear sight I've never considered it to be a big deal.

The slides coming off story seems to have gained a life of its own. The issue was not with the Gen5 Glocks, it was with the very early 17M pistols and was quickly and easily remedied with a stronger slide lock spring.

I know about the 17M debatable. Apparently the Gen5 17 needs a different slide takedown spring. I'm just stating what was said to me. And it didn't come from some fudd.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Sounds like a lot of people can't shoot

Yep, I agree with you. When it's untrained people needing to drift sights, then yeah it's probably on them. But I'd wager to say that Mr. Gunsngear is far from beginner and he had to drift his sight. So when I open a box on a brand new 19 with the rear sight drifted to the right AND an experienced shooter with the platform has to do it, then my first thought is not "these people can't shoot".

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, I agree with you. When it's untrained people needing to drift sights, then yeah it's probably on them. But I'd wager to say that Mr. Gunsngear is far from beginner and he had to drift his sight. So when I open a box on a brand new 19 with the rear sight drifted to the right AND an experienced shooter with the platform has to do it, then my first thought is not "these people can't shoot".

I consider myself a reasonable shot and the gun shot consistently 1/2 inch to an inch low for me. Same for my buddy (IGM).

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I don't know if his was a case of the factory just not properly installing the sight or them adjusting it for impact.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Ok, Cary and I just brought home and tested a pair of 19 Gen 5's...

First, I've made no secret of the fact that I've never been a big fan of Glocks. I've bought and sold more than I care to admit, because I never really enjoyed shooting any of them. But who says a gun has to be enjoyable to shoot? This is a defense gun. It needs to be reliable, easy to carry, and able to be set up in a way that suits me (or you, or whoever). Which is the reason I kept buying Glocks that I could resell. Because I could get holsters and sights of nearly any kind. There's just no denying that the Glock ecosystem sets the standard when it comes to customization. When I saw all the good things that Glock had done with the Gen 5, I couldn't help but try one yet again.

Which brings me back to this afternoon's testing. I will summarize by saying that neither gun shoots grossly left, and neither jettisoned its slide downrange. Both guns ejected perfectly to 4:30 with zero stoppages in very limited testing. It's very early for sure, but so far so good.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Ok, Cary and I just brought home and tested a pair of 19 Gen 5's...

First, I've made no secret of the fact that I've never been a big fan of Glocks. I've bought and sold more than I care to admit, because I never really enjoyed shooting any of them. But who says a gun has to be enjoyable to shoot? This is a defense gun. It needs to be reliable, easy to carry, and able to be set up in a way that suits me (or you, or whoever). Which is the reason I kept buying Glocks that I could resell. Because I could get holsters and sights of nearly any kind. There's just no denying that the Glock ecosystem sets the standard when it comes to customization. When I saw all the good things that Glock had done with the Gen 5, I couldn't help but try one yet again.

Which brings me back to this afternoon's testing. I will summarize by saying that neither gun shoots grossly left, and neither jettisoned its slide downrange. Both guns ejected perfectly to 4:30 with zero stoppages in very limited testing. It's very early for sure, but so far so good.

That's good to hear cause I'd love to have a gen5 19. It felt great. Love the no finger humps. Honestly, the only thing they could've changed was the frame. Flared magwell no finger humps and they would've sold just as many. The barrel, meh, the gen 1-4s shot just fine. No need to change that. I guess machining a different rifling to shoot lead would've been fine. The glock is a combat defensive gun not a bullseye pistol.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    My G19 gen 5 did not shoot left, just low. I got one with factory night sights and the front sight was really tall (.221")
    I replaced the front sight with an Ameriglo CAP that's about .171" high so that should fix the low groupings.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

My 17M's rear sight wasn't centered and it shot left about 1" at 10y. It shot left when I shot right handed or left handed. It also shot left for another shooter. Our armorer centered my sight and it shoots to POA now.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I've never heard anyone complain their gun was too accurate after a defensive shooting.

I have that problem a lot. My groups are so small that it doesn't let enough blood out. I have taken to shooting less accurate guns so that the holes are spaced farther apart and this makes for much quicker stops. That was much easier than teaching myself to shoot larger groups.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Waiting for the g35. Hopefully it comes out before next summer. Need a major uspsa gun.

For the life of me I cannot find the article again. I've looked more than once. But in the article it said glock would not be producing any 40 s&w in a gen 5.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have that problem a lot. My groups are so small that it doesn't let enough blood out. I have taken to shooting less accurate guns so that the holes are spaced farther apart and this makes for much quicker stops. That was much easier than teaching myself to shoot larger groups.

oh_you_by_doom1272-d31mb3c.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For the life of me I cannot find the article again. I've looked more than once. But in the article it said glock would not be producing any 40 s&w in a gen 5.

That would suck. I found myself toying with the idea of picking up a Gen 5 G23 yesterday. Since getting a CZ P10C, I'm coming to really like how an aggressive grip texture locks a pistol in your hand. Yesterday, I shot my P10C along side of my Gen 3 G23 and was thinking how much nicer the Gen 3 would be to shoot with better grip texture and with the Gen 5 having a lot of other upgrades, started to think that it might be a good time to grab a new G23. I hope Glock does not dismiss the .40 round in the Gen 5.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    All of the Glocks I've had shoot left, except the G40 MOS slide. None of the other pistols I've ever shot have done that. I've had the G19, G20, G17, G43, and G42. The G40 MOS might, but the Vortex Venom red dot was spot on out of the box, so maybe it was adjusted to shoot left. Anyway, it isn't the shooter, or I'd be doing it on all the others. I think it is the trigger itself. I drifted my sights and they all shoot accurately now, so I don't see the big deal. I can go back and forth with my Wilson Combat Beretta, and shoot well with both.

That said, I really want a Gen 5 G19, but I don't need it. Everything about my Gen 4 G19 is just fine, and it shoots great. It's also FDE, which I like better than the black.

But, I still want the Gen 5. Someone please stop me!!!

Update...Wife just stopped me. :abused:

Top Bottom