• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Hello all, I am thinking about buying a Glock 19C and wanted to know if any of you that have them feel that they are worth it? Any draw backs to them? I have a few compensated handguns like the 365x Macro and really like the compensation especially with +P ammo but wasn’t sure how the 19C would compare. Thanks!

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    While you have a small reduction of muzzle flip it really isn’t enough (outside slow speed photography and a clock or milliseconds) to matter in the real world of applications.

But Sigs making a mint selling them on everything!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    While you have a small reduction of muzzle flip it really isn’t enough (outside slow speed photography and a clock or milliseconds) to matter in the real world of applications.

But Sigs making a mint selling them on everything!
    I believe you are speaking of compensators, they hang on the end of the barrel.
    Glocks are actually a ported firearm. Porting reduces recoil and tones down the pressure in the barrel. It makes it much easier to hit major loads without damaging the firearm.

Porting involves precision-drilled holes also called ports in the barrel and/or slide on pistols, shotguns and revolvers. These ports reduce recoil by diverting the gases expelled before the departure of a projectile. The gases are directed out the top of the barrel which forces the barrel down. All these physics means less muzzle rise! Less muzzle rise in turn allows the shooter to keep the sights better acquired on target for faster follow up shots.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I believe you are speaking of compensators, they hang on the end of the barrel.
    Glocks are actually a ported firearm. Porting reduces recoil and tones down the pressure in the barrel. It makes it much easier to hit major loads without damaging the firearm.

Porting involves precision-drilled holes also called ports in the barrel and/or slide on pistols, shotguns and revolvers. These ports reduce recoil by diverting the gases expelled before the departure of a projectile. The gases are directed out the top of the barrel which forces the barrel down. All these physics means less muzzle rise! Less muzzle rise in turn allows the shooter to keep the sights better acquired on target for faster follow up shots.
    I’m referring to porting.

Respectively while they might make a minuscule mechanical different outside a competition realm like .0010 split time in an application factor (ie a defensive use) not really going to make a difference.

There’s a lot of once only competition stuff on handguns making their way into EDC handguns and many can be helpful but the ones that are all about speed of shots to me I’m not sold on it. That whole shooting faster than you can asses could bite you (aka McBride from LAPD)

Again respectfully just how I look at it with my background!

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    I’m referring to porting.

Respectively while they might make a minuscule mechanical different outside a competition realm like .0010 split time in an application factor (ie a defensive use) not really going to make a difference.

There’s a lot of once only competition stuff on handguns making their way into EDC handguns and many can be helpful but the ones that are all about speed of shots to me I’m not sold on it. That whole shooting faster than you can asses could bite you (aka McBride from LAPD)

Again respectfully just how I look at it with my background!
    Oh I definitely agree with your point of shooting faster then the brain can make take in and process information. I have heard the great Darryl Bolke speak and teach about it at length. The two things that I have noticed with the ported and compensated handguns I have trained with in the past (all be it may just be in my head) are making it easier to track a red dot/front sight and taking the edge of of plus p ammo that I use for carry ammunition. I do not think they make a whole lot of difference for average range plinking but in the same way my carry gun has a magwell on it every bit helps in my opinion.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Oh I definitely agree with your point of shooting faster then the brain can make take in and process information. I have heard the great Darryl Bolke speak and teach about it at length. The two things that I have noticed with the ported and compensated handguns I have trained with in the past (all be it may just be in my head) are making it easier to track a red dot/front sight and taking the edge of of plus p ammo that I use for carry ammunition. I do not think they make a whole lot of difference for average range plinking but in the same way my carry gun has a magwell on it every bit helps in my opinion.
    Daryl is a wealth of knowledge. My friend Lee Weems (First Person Safety and a Range-Master and Handguns Combative Instructor ) calls them “velocity reducers” heheheh

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Daryl is a wealth of knowledge. My friend Lee Weems (First Person Safety and a Range-Master and Handguns Combative Instructor ) calls them “velocity reducers” heheheh
    I really like his stuff too! That’s a fair point, I’d love to see the difference between a 19 and 19c with the 124+p Speer gold dot I carry.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    +p 9mm defense ammo is a meme
    Why you say that? Just curious, not trying to start anything.

OP, personally I have had several negative experiences on a Gen4 17C and a ported poly 80 G26.

I suspect they don’t handler lighter 9mm loads well. The 17C was getting short stroking issues when my Glock wasn’t. (Same ammo). I didn’t feel it was the thing for me. But if you actually like them then go for it, I think they are cool. Sorta collectible.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Why you say that? Just curious, not trying to start anything.

OP, personally I have had several negative experiences on a Gen4 17C and a ported poly 80 G26.

I suspect they don’t handler lighter 9mm loads well. The 17C was getting short stroking issues when my Glock wasn’t. (Same ammo). I didn’t feel it was the thing for me. But if you actually like them then go for it, I think they are cool. Sorta collectible.
    The performance gains don't outweigh the drawbacks

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    With owning a few for over 20 years now I have yet to see any drawbacks with them being ported. Not a glock fanboy but, one of those newton law thingies falls into the equation here.
    Plus, I do own a few of them.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If I get a chance this summer, I will drag out our Ransom Rest and run a 19 and a 19C both gen 3's through the paces and do some recoil measurments.
    Refreshing to find someone else that has real world experience with the "C" guns rather than parroting internet garbage about night blindness and the like. I've been carrying a 19C for several years and have always felt recoil reduction far out weighed the only down side which for me is noise. I've recently transitioned to a PSA dagger with the ported barrel/slide that they just released. Dagger grip points more naturally for me and the setup "feels" as effective and is less expensive.. I would suggest the OP also consider the Dagger setup. PM me with questions about the Dagger offering.
    As for the ransom rest test, ask and you shall receive. I'm sure there will those that dispute results from the Ransom rest but as you said Newton law thingies are difficult to argue with

https://gundigest.com/article/ported-barrel-reduce-recoil

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    From my experiences with the few I’ve had, there was a noticeable difference and to me was worth the extra money to have the 19c. I’ve gotten out of polymer pistols for the most part is main reason I got rid of my last one. I Carried it comfortably and shot it in different light conditions without a problem from dawn to dusk. Never shot in pitch black with a light.

It didn’t feel like a totally different gun or anything but was noticeable and like the reason I think most people get them, it did take some cool pictures LOL

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Refreshing to find someone else that has real world experience with the "C" guns rather than parroting internet garbage about night blindness and the like. I've been carrying a 19C for several years and have always felt recoil reduction far out weighed the only down side which for me is noise. I've recently transitioned to a PSA dagger with the ported barrel/slide that they just released. Dagger grip points more naturally for me and the setup "feels" as effective and is less expensive.. I would suggest the OP also consider the Dagger setup. PM me with questions about the Dagger offering.
    As for the ransom rest test, ask and you shall receive. I'm sure there will those that dispute results from the Ransom rest but as you said Newton law thingies are difficult to argue with

https://gundigest.com/article/ported-barrel-reduce-recoil

I have often found in my years that most of the nay sayers and haters have never actually owned the things they hate.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I’m not totally sold on +P in 9mm doing THAT much more. I’ve seen paul harrel do some meat target tests with it and it’s kinda negligible.

However, I suspect that in PCCs and SMGs, there might be more of a difference to talk about.

Seems to me like naturally high pressure rounds don’t gain much with +P in handguns. The differences show up much greater in low pressure rounds like 380 Auto, 38 Spl, 45 Auto

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    louder? yes.
    flash an issue? no
    EDC issue for close quarter shooting? no

G19C was my carry gun for years before I switched to Sig P365X Macro

Top Bottom