• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood

i got this glock 17L in a trade as it is about 2 years ago. I am interested in getting it brought back to factory finish if that is possible. I have been told it would be easy for a pro but have no clue myself. My questions are can this be fixed? I do not know how the barrel was painted or what the grip was painted with. Who can fix it? Approximately what should the cost be to get it done?

I am thinking if it cannot be fixed I am just gonna go all out on the customizing. I would however love to see her back in factory condition just because of how hard to come by they are. Thanks in advance for any information.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You could get it cerakoted locally, but that would not be a Glock factory finish. Not sure where you are located, but I have had AllenM cerakote a couple, and they look very good. You can pick a color that is very close to factory or do something completely different. Allen is local to Avon area, and does some amazing work.

If you want it to have an OEM finish, you can contact Glock.

I believe Lone Wolf also does some Glock refinishing. Lone Wolf Distributors - Products - Refinishing

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Does AllenM see walk ins at his shop? I believe it is a auto shop, right? I have thought about him but I live over an hour from Avon. I guess it would be a good excuse to run out bradis. It has been a while since I have been there. I really want it as close to factory as possible. I really don't want to have to ship it just because the added cost and hassle of having to use a FFL.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Does AllenM see walk ins at his shop? I believe it is a auto shop, right? I have thought about him but I live over an hour from Avon. I guess it would be a good excuse to run out bradis. It has been a while since I have been there. I really want it as close to factory as possible. I really don't want to have to ship it just because the added cost and hassle of having to use a FFL.

PM him and see if he is currently taking work. When he did mine, I lined it all up with him through PM ad was able to pick it up just a few days later, and I was having some additional work done, and 2 Glock slides/barrels cerakoted. It will depend on his workload.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you are shipping if for repair (this would qualify) you do not need to go through and FFL and it can be sent directly back to you w/out going through an FFL

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I would definitely make sure you either send it to someone to have it done properly or make sure you strip the old coating off. As it sits right now I'm sure it still has the original finish underneath whatever that tan finish is. This won't be a problem in most parts of the slide, but too much coating in some spots will either cause malfunctions or just cause the gun to eat away your coating through normal cycling of the firearm. Do you know what the tan coating is?

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have no idea what the tan coating is. It does not look horrible and it looks even but I am still assuming it was an at home job. Whether it was sprayed on or baked on I have no clue.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Have you tried taking acetone to it? If the original finish is still intact underneath and it wasn't blasted first you might be able to remove it. Personally I like the colors.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I would be ok with the colors if it were a standard 17. Being a longslide version I would prefer factory finish. If for nothing other than value. I have not tried to do anything with the paint myself. Worried I might ness it up worse than it is.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Why are you so sure it still has the original finish underneath the tan?
    Cause it kinda looks like an at home job and most at homers (like myself) don't remove the original finish prior to putting on some duracoat or cerakote. I would just want to make sure there wasn't too much coating on the gun before I went over it again with more coating as this may cause issues.

Top Bottom