• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I currently have a G30SF. I want to pick up a Glock in 9MM. Along with this I also plan to pick up a Kel Tec Sub 2k also in 9MM. Would I want to get a G17, or a G19?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I have a G19, and I thought that was the better choice. It is more suitable for carry and can take the same mags the 17 can. Only issue I have found is that the grip is SLIGHTLY too small for my hand, but that's easily fixable. A mag-well or a 17 round mag will do the trick.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have owned three G19s and sold them all. I just didn't like the way they fit my hand. I had the opportunity to check out the G17 about a month ago and if I had tried it a while back, I probably would not have gone to the M&P. See which one fits your hand the best and don't worry about the 19 being smaller and better able to conceal it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd steer you in the direction of the G19 for a couple of reasons:

* It's virtually the same size as your G30SF (although a bit narrower and lighter).
    * It's more concealable and gives up little to it's larger cousin (and can use G17 mags).

Folks who mention fit do have a valid point. One would think the G17 and 19 would feel the same in the hand, but for me they don't. Check 'em both out, and if they both fit, go for the G19 for the reasons above.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have both and I prefer the G19... Granted they are both Gen 3's, but the 17 will never feel as good in my hand as the 19...

If at all possible, try shooting both and seeing which you handle better... Even though the 17 has a longer site radius and barrel, I shoot the g19 just as well, maybe even a little better... I can only assume this is because it simply feels better in my hand...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a 19, and a 26. 17 is too large for my hands. 19 is pushing it. And the 26 is too small, though apparently according to yesterday's range trip I shoot the g26 best without the finger extension. :)

Pick what you want, don't let us persuade you.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Choose the one that fits your hand better. I would imagine that the 30SF is for EDC so I would lean toward the 17 if the length of the grip suits you. You can't really go wrong what ever you choose.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I currently have a G30SF. I want to pick up a Glock in 9MM. Along with this I also plan to pick up a Kel Tec Sub 2k also in 9MM. Would I want to get a G17, or a G19?

The answer is, "Yes."

If you have to choose one, the big difference in the current versions is the spacing of the finger grooves. The finger grooves on the frontstrap of the G17 3rd generation and on are significantly wider and more comfortable to people with thick fingers than are the finger grooves on the G19. I consider the differences in size to be far less noticeable. The reach to the trigger is exactly the same, so if you have short fingers or small hands, it will be the same task for you to overcome regardless of which model.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have large hands and as much as I wanted to like the G19 is was not comfortable to shoot, since I was looking for a deep concealment I got a Shield and traded my G19 for a G17 and never look back. I had lots of Glock's and can not think of any other Glock that I can shoot better than the G17.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i have a glock from all form factors, sub compact (g27) compact (g19) full-size (g22) and 'extra-full size' (g20)

of all the pistols i have, my favorite by far is my g22. unless i really want to go concealed i carry my G22. it fits my hand the best of all the forms, and pointability is solid.
    its indeed my favorite handgun, however I will admit, it might because I'm most familiar with it. I've put more rounds down that gun (prob around, 3-4000) than any other of my handguns combined.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Are you planning to carry it? We need some info on the purpose of the gun to give a good recommendation. My first inclination is to say 19. I have 19/23/26/27/30. I have had a 21 in the past. I like the 19/23 the best. I carry the 26/27 alot, but am making the switch to carrying the 19. The 19/23 (compacts) carry as easily as the 26/27 (sub compacts) and shoot better in my opinion.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think I'd start with the 19 and see if it fits me well enough, then move up to the 17 if the 19 doesn't fit well.

The smaller gun is always going to be a little more versatile-- gain more in concealability than you give up in ballistics.

If you have medium to small hands, the 19 is probably the best all-around 9mm in existence. But if it won't work for you, the 17 is a nice consolation prize. It's not exactly a huge, heavy gun.

The fit is the thing.... Hold them and you will know.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I have a 17, 19, 22, and 32. I like the 17 for target shooting, but I carry the 19 or the 32. Haven't shot the 22 much it's RTF and I don't like the feel of it as well as the regular finish. I think the 19 is the best all around Glock.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Or you could take the middle ground and get a 17 and cut the grip down to 19 size for concealability. You get a longer sight radius and barrel for accuracy and the grip is then the same as a 19. I have a friend that did that and I shot it and really liked it.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I will be carrying it concealed. I don't know how exactly yet as I have recently lost 78 pounds or so. I don't really care overmuch for the way my G30 fits my hand. I do see the point in having the G19 because it will take G17's and other mags, whereas the G19 mags will not fit in the G17. But, I like the way the Gen 4 G17 feels. I haven't shot one yet. Tucker's in Mt Vernon isn't set up for it.

Anybody own a Glock in Desert or OD?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom