• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    While it's not likely to result in more than higher prices for us, some countries are going to see rioting and (as is the case in Tunisia today) overthrown governments. It always boils down to bread. If we have a bad winter crop we could be looking at grain tightening up and prices rising. Same for corn, and soy is already high. It doesn't help that companies are putting our food in gas tanks, via government boondoggles. A couple of years of this and we could be in trouble even here.

Global food chain stretched to the limit - Business - Consumer news - Food Inc. - msnbc.com

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    While it's not likely to result in more than higher prices for us, some countries are going to see rioting and (as is the case in Tunisia today) overthrown governments. It always boils down to bread. If we have a bad winter crop we could be looking at grain tightening up and prices rising. Same for corn, and soy is already high. It doesn't help that companies are putting our food in gas tanks, via government boondoggles. A couple of years of this and we could be in trouble even here.

Global food chain stretched to the limit - Business - Consumer news - Food Inc. - msnbc.com

Simply put, we need to stop turning our food into ineffective fuel products that are completely unsustainable without heavy government subsides. Get rid of ethanol and watch the price of all food crash. Heck, even Al Gore admits he only pushed it cause he was trying to get elected (for the farmers in Iowa) and because the farmers in TN liked the free govt money. He's even come out and said its a sham that is purely political.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    food is for eating
    dead dinosaurs are for power our cars
    and rotting sewage should be scavenged for methane to make natural gas.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    So it's perfectly ok for a couple sand filled countries to threaten to limit or reduce production of oil thus reaping a few extra billion dollars while screwing with the worlds economies, but if we want to use food for anything other than giving it away to other countries or using it for our own purposes (whatever those are..eating, ethanol, letting it rot) we are contributing to global starvation? Tough! It's time we started using food as a tool. How much oil can we get for a bushel of corn? Want nuclear power or would you rather eat? Let's see how many countries can maintain the North Korean form of gov.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Global weather has not been favorable to many farming Countries.

The demand is greater than what's being produced,
    thus the lowest U.S. reserves in 30-years.

I suspect we will be hearing a lot more on this subject as time goes on.
    (this would require a few slow days of U.S. news to make more people aware)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Food, from production to delivery to your door, has a big chunk of fossil fuel build right in. Regardless of where you are in the world, when the price of oil goes up food goes up.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    the world needs a nice population die off when it reaches the sustainable limit
    I've been saying this for years. Let the SHTF, those who are prepared, will survive, maybe. If we die, we don't have to deal with **** from the sheep anymore, they'll all be dead. Bring it! I know that for every person who is prepared for disaster that dies, there will be millions of useless parasites who get it. I really don't see a down side to it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I would suggest that everyone that can, needs to plan and provide a garden spot in their property this spring.

Learn how to can you own food.

You'd be amazed at how much food can come out of a 25 by 40 piece of ground.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I would suggest that everyone that can, needs to plan and provide a garden spot in their property this spring.

Learn how to can you own food.

You'd be amazed at how much food can come out of a 25 by 40 piece of ground.
    While that is great, people also need to invest into hydroponic gardening, just make sure you pay cash so you don't have the police visiting you thinking your growing pot and then have documentation of having a garden.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Been seeing these troubling stories for a while now. I'm thinking of a bigger garden, bees, chickens, and rabbits. I live in a small town so I think anything bigger would get me in hot water. That's my plan for this year anyway.....

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    While that is great, people also need to invest into hydroponic gardening, just make sure you pay cash so you don't have the police visiting you thinking your growing pot and then have documentation of having a garden.

Great way to grow stuff if you have access to a good power supply, plenty of fresh water, and the space to do it.

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I think that happened a long time ago. The world has been bailing water on a sinking ship trying to keep it afloat for a long time.

I don't buy the "overpopulation" argument. The entire world population would fit in Texas with every person having 1000 square feet. (Texas: 1 square mile = 5280 x 5280 square feet = 27,878,400 square feet. So 268,581 square miles = 7,487,608,550,400. For simplicity say 7.5 x 10^12. That divided by 7 x 10^9 is indeed over 1000 square feet per person. So if we made one giant one-story compound over Texas, land, water, and all, we would each get a 1,000 square foot unit.) That leaves the ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD for food production. The US alone produces more than enough food to support the world population, this is fear-mongering.

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    I don't buy the "overpopulation" argument. The entire world population would fit in Texas with every person having 1000 square feet. (Texas: 1 square mile = 5280 x 5280 square feet = 27,878,400 square feet. So 268,581 square miles = 7,487,608,550,400. For simplicity say 7.5 x 10^12. That divided by 7 x 10^9 is indeed over 1000 square feet per person. So if we made one giant one-story compound over Texas, land, water, and all, we would each get a 1,000 square foot unit.) That leaves the ENTIRE REST OF THE WORLD for food production. The US alone produces more than enough food to support the world population, this is fear-mongering.
    All I can say to that is....nice math skills.:D

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Can you just imagine the amount of :poop: 6 billion people will have to truck over to Arkansas everyday?

Top Bottom