• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Kinda glad I never developed a GS cookie habit as the Girl Scouts are something I would have a hard time sending my money to....but to each their own.
    We only buy to support two little girls we love. If they ( and later probably one up and comer who'll be 1 this month) weren't in it, I wouldn't normally do so.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Apparently it takes a village to fund your (generic) kids' activities.

Don't get it; never will.
    Everything "takes a village" now
    That's how the public schools are indoctrinating our kids with the help of the kinsey Institute (child molester central) and with companies like Lilly (panorama, castle, surveys, also tied to the bill and Melinda gates foundation) etc who can push their antidepressants earlier and earlier on kids to make their billions. Get them hooked earlier. Tell them they can be a dog, cat, oposite gender, and its perfectly normal (LOL). I'm sure school shootings rising has nothing to do with all that though (purple implied)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have two granddaughters both in a troop run by my daughter...built in excuse, thankfully.
    My daughter is in a troop ran by my wife, if you do ever buy cookies from another troop don't tell them. Repeat Don't Tell Them!!! Ask me how I know.
    Probably different councils have different markups. I know my daughter's troops' cookies were $6 a box, and they're out of whatever the Indianapolis council is.
    Same with my daughter, I can only think of two possibilities. Either the scout messed up and maybe went by last years pricing. Or the troop is giving up their cut, I think the troop gets a $1 per box.
    Door to door was up to the individual to do or not, if I recall. Girl Scouts had a booking system in the past where troops can book a time slot that included a list of participating businesses. I assume that is still done that way. Now they also have online sales as well. It's not like a parent grabs up a bunch of kids and just randomly camps at any store without permission, signing up, etc, at least that's the way it was several years ago.
    Still pretty much that way. Although from my understanding the council is at least discouraging door to door. They started doing so because of "covid".

Apparently it takes a village to fund your (generic) kids' activities.

Don't get it; never will.
    Same as boy scouts, school band/sports/etc. A good portion depending on the area are lower income and the trips can get expensive. Camping is cheap(ish) if you have the gear, but when you have to supply all the gear for half the troop.

Heck how many fire depts have fund raiser pancake breakfasts or boot drives? I know pretty much everyone around me does. Volunteer and municipal both.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    The reason I do not buy cookies... look at the salaries for their execs from 2020.

Sylvia Acevedo THRU 082020 (CEO & EX OFFICIO BD)$687,756
    Anthony Doye THRU 032020 (Chief Operating Officer)$456,824
    LYNELLE MCKAY (CHIEF CUSTOMER OFFICER)$402,775
    Angela Olden (Chief Financial Officer)$387,964
    Jennifer Rochon (General Counsel)$383,302
    Barry Horowitz (Chief Revenue Officer)$366,903
    Sapreet Kaur Saluja (Chief STR PSHIP/NEW VENT OFF)$358,069
    Annette Freytag THRU 092020 (Chief of Staff)$306,448
    Florence Godfrey THRU 012020 (Chief Brand Mktg & Comm. Off.)$296,119
    Amy Berkowitz THRU 112019 (Chief Information Officer)$282,261
    DANIEL SCHULTZE THRU 092020 (Sr. Director, Prod./Plat./Svcs)$265,378
    Bernice Johnson THRU 072020 (VP PROCUREMENT/SUSTAINABILITY)$240,407
    MAUREEN MCNERNEY (CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER)$236,703
    Andrea Bastiani Archibald (Ch. Fam. Eng OFF (thru 10/19))$234,370
    Sofina Qureshi THRU 092020 (VP, GS COOKIE PROGRAM)$224,972
    BARRY JOSEPH THRU 092020 (Director, Digitial User Exper.)$220,469
    DIANE REIGER (VP, IT BUSINESS OPERATIONS)$217,891
    AMY BODIN (CHIEF ADMIN OFFICER)$160,468
    Sarah Angel-Johnson THRU 0619 (Chief Enterprise Integ. Off.)$138,294

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The reason I do not buy cookies... look at the salaries for their execs from 2020.

Sylvia Acevedo THRU 082020 (CEO & EX OFFICIO BD)$687,756
    Anthony Doye THRU 032020 (Chief Operating Officer)$456,824
    LYNELLE MCKAY (CHIEF CUSTOMER OFFICER)$402,775
    Angela Olden (Chief Financial Officer)$387,964
    Jennifer Rochon (General Counsel)$383,302
    Barry Horowitz (Chief Revenue Officer)$366,903
    Sapreet Kaur Saluja (Chief STR PSHIP/NEW VENT OFF)$358,069
    Annette Freytag THRU 092020 (Chief of Staff)$306,448
    Florence Godfrey THRU 012020 (Chief Brand Mktg & Comm. Off.)$296,119
    Amy Berkowitz THRU 112019 (Chief Information Officer)$282,261
    DANIEL SCHULTZE THRU 092020 (Sr. Director, Prod./Plat./Svcs)$265,378
    Bernice Johnson THRU 072020 (VP PROCUREMENT/SUSTAINABILITY)$240,407
    MAUREEN MCNERNEY (CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER)$236,703
    Andrea Bastiani Archibald (Ch. Fam. Eng OFF (thru 10/19))$234,370
    Sofina Qureshi THRU 092020 (VP, GS COOKIE PROGRAM)$224,972
    BARRY JOSEPH THRU 092020 (Director, Digitial User Exper.)$220,469
    DIANE REIGER (VP, IT BUSINESS OPERATIONS)$217,891
    AMY BODIN (CHIEF ADMIN OFFICER)$160,468
    Sarah Angel-Johnson THRU 0619 (Chief Enterprise Integ. Off.)$138,294
    "Chief People Officer" ?? $236k ?? GTFO !
    Anyway, I like two of the Scout cookies and the new Raspberry isn't one. We haven't bought any this year. Only bought a couple (or three) boxes last year.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    We actually had one come to the door the other evening. I was in the middle of cooking supper, so @PhotoNinja answered the door. She wound up buying two boxes, samoas(her favorite) and thin mints(my favorite).

We did a taste comparison between samoas and Keebler Coconut Dreams(of which we have 3 family-size packs in the freezer), and thin mints and Keebler Grasshoppers(only had one pack in the freezer).

Samoas won over the Keebler: the dark chocolate on the samoas was the determining factor.
    Grasshoppers won over thin mints: more mint flavor, cookie was more crisp, better mouth-feel.

I haven't had a GS cookie in years, I could go many more without.

I got burned out on BoyScout popcorn. Had two cousins that my parents bought from every year, and then my Dad would buy some from a guy at work. We had microwave popcorn out the wazoo.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't they still do the drive throughs? I saw one at the Wal-Green's on 26 and Creasy last year.

Drive up, place order, girls run up and give you cookies, drive off.
    No, well yes, and no. See, I know how to talk lawyerese too!
    I mean, I mean, they do have booths set up at strategic locales, but the new Raspberry Crisp offering was relegated to strictly online sales.
    Someone has snatched up a BUNCH of these things and are scalping them online for $200+ per box!
    If those are scout affiliated persons, well, let's just say I've lost my appetite for Girl Scout cookies, permanently.

Reactions: Leo

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got burned out on BoyScout popcorn. Had two cousins that my parents bought from every year, and then my Dad would buy some from a guy at work. We had microwave popcorn out the wazoo.
    We buy the full kernel popcorn from my next door neighbor Boy Scout. Buy a jar every year.

It is really good. We do the brown paper bag microwave method, put butter on it and some popcorn salt. Every bit as good as movie theater popcorn, better if you get old popcorn at the movie.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think the cookies are overrated, I only buy if it's from someone I know (or their kids), same with other fundraisers.
    If a kid I like is in something that needs funding, I take the information and make a donation to the outfit with a letter explaining it was because of the kids effort. There is a lot of money in the whole deal selling/fundraising business that does not go to the kids.

My kids school had them go out and raise money for new playground equipment. One year was for soccer field improvements. The next year they raised money for copy machines, I thought that was sketchy. The next year they needed money to update the teachers lounges. That was also a year that my house got re-appraised for higher property tax. I called the school, spoke with the Principal, called the school board and met with the President. They said I was the only person that had any problem with it.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Everything "takes a village" now
    That's how the public schools are indoctrinating our kids with the help of the kinsey Institute (child molester central) and with companies like Lilly (panorama, castle, surveys, also tied to the bill and Melinda gates foundation) etc who can push their antidepressants earlier and earlier on kids to make their billions. Get them hooked earlier. Tell them they can be a dog, cat, oposite gender, and its perfectly normal (LOL). I'm sure school shootings rising has nothing to do with all that though (purple implied)
    Show your proof please.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, well yes, and no. See, I know how to talk lawyerese too!
    I mean, I mean, they do have booths set up at strategic locales, but the new Raspberry Crisp offering was relegated to strictly online sales.
    Someone has snatched up a BUNCH of these things and are scalping them online for $200+ per box!
    If those are scout affiliated persons, well, let's just say I've lost my appetite for Girl Scout cookies, permanently.

Seems overbroad. A scalper stole a march on them this year. Next year they put limits on the amount you can buy. NBD.

Those peanut butter things are amazing. Don't go off half-cookied.

Top Bottom