• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Brad of (Brads knives) and I went down to southern indiana this past Friday to do a little tree rat hunting, and all we got was a **** load of ticks.

snipped

I stripped and changed clothes, brushing all I could see off, I thought I was ok. After I got home that afternoon, and showered, scrubbing a few more off in the shower, my girlfriend and I, found 42 more of them bedded on my legs and had to slowly pull them off one by one.

So... sounds like WIN to me. Where can the married guys get some of these handy little aphrodisiac critters?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    This ^^^ go get yourself some permethrin....

Oh, and small money saving tip, don't buy the diluted stuff at right next to the repellants. Buy the concentrated permethrin in the pesticide isle. It's normally sold as carpenter ant killer.

Then, dilute the permethrin down to .5% and put it in a spray bottle. Coat all your clothes....

I use the stuff for everything... I spray around my wood piles to keep carpenter ants from migrating to my house, and I use it everywhere I want to kill any insects.
    Damn it, that is a great tip. I always spray my clothes with permethrin and frankly it is the only chemical application I use that I do not buy in concentrate. I have to pick up carpenter ant killer today anyway, I love the idea of diluting it. That is a big money saver.

I keep a small spray bottle of Permenone in the laundry room. Certain clothes come out of the dryer and onto a hanger for spraying. Tent gets it too.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Never had that problem with ticks. However, my brother and I pitched a tent next to a tree one year. I woke up and climbed out, noticed hundreds of spiders crawling on top of the tent. Went home that day with over 36 spider bites below my waist...more than a dozen above the waist. I will never, ever forget that.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Well the doc. Said that I was ok and I had nothing to worry about, and that the only tics to worry about are deer tics and that none of the ones that bit me were deer tics so I'm good. I had some of them in a ziplock bag and took them with me for him to see.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Well the doc. Said that I was ok and I had nothing to worry about, and that the only tics to worry about are deer tics and that none of the ones that bit me were deer tics so I'm good. I had some of them in a ziplock bag and took them with me for him to see.

I know we were hunting tree rats, but I have to wonder if you didn't go over the bag limit on the ticks.:):

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    They have been really bad this year. I think it was due to the very wet weather followed by the heat and lack of rain. Hubby had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, we caught it real early and he is fine now. For those who end up with the red itchy welts from them try a little alcohol, don't drink it, just dab it on the spots. It will keep them from getting infected and seems to help with the itch.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I spend a lot of time in the woods. In the morning before I get completely dressed I spray my legs and waste band with a deet mixture. I spray my sox before I put them on. Spray my pants inside and out. Bdu's or Adus are great because you can tie cinch your pant legs up. If not you can duct tape them around your ankles. This will help a lot. I do use the permenone as well but dont feel that its a end all to the problem.

I usually do a tick check and try to catch them before they attach so they dont bother me that much. Its the chiggers that I hate. You cant see them you only feel them a day or so after its too late. And no they dont embed into your skin like we all used to think. Some times I have oozing welts from them for 3-5 months.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    ise a set of coveralls to wear in the woods sprayed down in it to keep them at bay i duct tape off the legs at ankles and often use flea and tick collars for dogs on my ankles and wrist

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Don't pull them out. A drop of lighter fluid or kerosene will get them to back out. If you pull them out, usually the head will get left behind in the skin.

I have been told that dryer sheets tucked into your shoes keeps them away. You know, fabric softener dryer sheets? I have not tried this, but it seems worth a try..

FYI, looked this up for a friend a month or two back, most places recommend pulling them out now, including the CDC:

Tick Removal - August 15, 2002 - American Family Physician

CDC - Tick Removal - Ticks

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    hoosier i believe seed ticks is the correct terminology sir

Yep..

Pound for pound the meanest critter to ever walk the face of Earth..

I mix my own tick repellent. It is from Tractor Supply . It is a 32 ounce bottle of Carpenter ant and termite killer in concentrate . $20 or less. It has 13.3 percent permethrin in it. I can mix up almost 6 gallons of tick spray at the .5% level that is in Duranon and Permanone.

A LOT cheaper.....Cheap enough to spray my clothes, boots AND insides of the blinds...and still last a long, long time..

i used it on my clothes and inside my turkey blind. I hunted 23 days and never pulled a tick off of me.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Ticks are about the only thing that grosses me out in the outdoors! I hate em' and after every time in the out doors I take a shower and do a tick search. Thats another reason I have a flat top!!!!

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    Oh my!! Brad told me that he was gonna take you to his deer camp to hunt those tree rats! I am gonna have to give him a hard time about it tomorrow!!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I know ticks are bad. But if you take your girlfriend along, you get to check her for ticks! Just like the song said! Now If it's you wife it's a diferent story. I would not be able to get my wife into a tick infeasted area. So I'm otta luck there! :laugh:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seed/turkey ticks are the larval stage of the lone star tick, they have been getting worse and spreading around more of Indiana. The egg case hatches out in late July and early August and the hundreds of small ticks about the size of table salt stay close together. They are mostly found in high grass and brush thick weeds like ragweed. When you brush by them, or worse stop, you can pick up hundreds. When they bite it leaves a persistant welt about the size of a BB that itches like crazy and lasts for weeks. Permethryn is the best thing to keep them off but when you get mobbed some are going to get through. Been dealing with them for years down here in the southern part of the state.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Seed/turkey ticks are the larval stage of the lone star tick, they have been getting worse and spreading around more of Indiana. The egg case hatches out in late July and early August and the hundreds of small ticks about the size of table salt stay close together. They are mostly found in high grass and brush thick weeds like ragweed. When you brush by them, or worse stop, you can pick up hundreds. When they bite it leaves a persistant welt about the size of a BB that itches like crazy and lasts for weeks. Permethryn is the best thing to keep them off but when you get mobbed some are going to get through. Been dealing with them for years down here in the southern part of the state.

Spot on. This is exactly what happened to me. It's a good thing that they are not carriers of anything harmful. Otherwise I'd be in trouble.

Top Bottom