• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Drove >600mi total in Berlin, Munich, and part of Austria. in country roads, city roads, Autobahn. Not a single pothole. Yet here in US, we can't afford to fix it. And we're the greatest country in the world?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Drove >600mi total in Berlin, Munich, and part of Austria. in country roads, city roads, Autobahn. Not a single pothole. Yet here in US, we can't afford to fix it. And we're the greatest country in the world?
    I heard Germans don't put pockets on their pants. Prevents the politicians from stuffing them for their friends and political donors like they do here. You aren't building a highway in the United States without greasing some wheels, heavily.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Investment, work ethic, accountability, and you could go on and on about quality of materials and design and engineering, etc.

What would it take to do it here? Nobody wants to do it the way they do it over there.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    vania-1530816986.gif
    Launched and recovered A-10s on the autobahn in 1984.

Deployed to Germany again in 1999. Did a lot more driving on that trip. All the roads were smooth, perfect radius turns and flawless pavement. When I arrived back in Indiana, my wife picked me up at Grissom. After three months of German roads, I got car sick on the way home. That was when I realized how crappy our roads are.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Too bad the Indiana DOT can’t even begin to match the roads in Germany. They are too busy building new roads (sometimes seemingly to “nowhere”) rather than properly fixing and maintains the existing roads in Indiana that are riddled with pot holes, cracked concrete, busted expansion joints, etc., etc and so on and so forth! So much for being the “crossroads of America”! :rockwoot:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Too bad the Indiana DOT can’t even begin to match the roads in Germany. They are too busy building new roads (sometimes seemingly to “nowhere”) rather than properly fixing and maintains the existing roads in Indiana that are riddled with pot holes, cracked concrete, busted expansion joints, etc., etc and so on and so forth! So much for being the “crossroads of America”! :rockwoot:
    Other than 69 what other new roads is INDOT building?

Not defending INDOT but a lot of what you describe is because Indiana is on the winter fault line. Down in KY they freeze a few times a season, Most of Michigan freezes for the season. Indiana freezes and thaws almost daily throughout the winter, very destructive.

The roads maintained by INDOT I use I have few complaints the roads I complain about are the over $6 BILLION of neglect in Indy. Many other cities are just as bad…

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    A big part of it is because they weren't built correctly in the first place. Insufficient drainage under the roadbed and too thin of a base layer are the biggest faults. Can't blame the builders for that, they build them the way the gov't wants. If the gov't paid to build them right, the taxpayers would have a **** fit at the cost.
    Look at I69 north of I64. Cut some serious corners on initial construction and its already falling apart less than 10 years later. But it got done cheaper and faster!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Other than 69 what other new roads is INDOT building?

Not defending INDOT but a lot of what you describe is because Indiana is on the winter fault line. Down in KY they freeze a few times a season, Most of Michigan freezes for the season. Indiana freezes and thaws almost daily throughout the winter, very destructive.

The roads maintained by INDOT I use I have few complaints the roads I complain about are the over $6 BILLION of neglect in Indy. Many other cities are just as bad…
    The area of Germany I was in (far nothern Bavaria) the climate wasn't too much different than Indiana. Lots of freeze/thaw cycles every winter. Compound that with all the wear and tear was inflicted by heavy armor, it is amazing how well that road held up.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Counting on 12" of concrete on I 69 north of Evansville would be engineering equivalent of considering "Rainbows and Unicorns " as a mathematical constant.
    While going to night school, I drove a delivery for a industrial supply company.
    Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois.
    First place, Illinois. Second place (by not much), Kentucky.
    Indiana, well I guess you have to have a go to for destructivly testing MBT suspension systems.

MH

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The area of Germany I was in (far nothern Bavaria) the climate wasn't too much different than Indiana. Lots of freeze/thaw cycles every winter. Compound that with all the wear and tear was inflicted by heavy armor, it is amazing how well that road held up.
    Not my area of expertise but Indianapolis is the 40th parallel and Bavaria is the 48th and a googling shows it there is 69 miles per parallel. The 48th parallel is up near the UP of Michigan, definitely not the constant freeze thaw Indy gets each winter…

Top Bottom