• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I'm wanting to grab a nice dinner and beer on my way back from the Senate hearing. Haven't had German food in a while. Any Recommendations from Indy to Purdue? Along I-65 of just West via Avon, Plainfield, etc.

Thanks, INGO.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Rathskeller downtown Indy is pretty good. Sorry I didn't see this till now. The only other one I know of is on the southside of Indy.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting out of the senate hearing just before 9 and driving back. I'll try out the Rathskeller the next time I go downtown (about once a year modulo this political stuff).

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    It's the German American Klub. short of that I would say the Heidelberg bakery, but they don't have beer. the Rathskeller is good on beer but the food is very subpar. there was a another place on Mass but I think it's gone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's the German American Klub. short of that I would say the Heidelberg bakery, but they don't have beer. the Rathskeller is good on beer but the food is very subpar. there was a another place on Mass but I think it's gone.
    I've been to the Edelweiss for their Wednesday (I think) buffet. I was not impressed at all. I'm very familiar with German Park though since our church when I was growing up always had our church picnics there.

Not really a fan of German food in general (except their pastries and baked goods). Do they have to put vinegar in everything??

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    I've been to the Edelweiss for their Wednesday (I think) buffet. I was not impressed at all. I'm very familiar with German Park though since our church when I was growing up always had our church picnics there.

Not really a fan of German food in general (except their pastries and baked goods). Do they have to put vinegar in everything??
    I was the same, had the "German Park" experience as a kid and always had fun there. Looking back now it was just a place for my Dad to hang out with his friends and party. Later in life work sent me to Germany many times. They really have some good food if you learn what you like. They also have some food I wouldn't eat if I had to, but that is the same as here. You will be hard pressed to find quality German food here. Spätzle and Maultaschen are must try if you ever find the right place.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ah, this thread reminds me of the long gone Café Europa up in Lawrence. Nothing like bratwurst and knockwurst in there with a Paulaner Hefe-Weitzen or two and then back to work for the rest of the day.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    We've been to Edelweiss, but it is several years. Though Rathskeller is better. I also like Heidelberg Cafe as well.

On my trips up to Wisconsin I always stop at Mars Cheese Castle and get the German Potato Salad, yum.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I like Schnitzel of basically all forms. But the sauerkraut isn't always bad. I had a 10.5 hr layover in Germany (brutal), and they had a crispy pork roast with sauerkraut and some polenta-like thing on the side. Washed down with a liter of German lager and it was a very nice meal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like Schnitzel of basically all forms. But the sauerkraut isn't always bad. I had a 10.5 hr layover in Germany (brutal), and they had a crispy pork roast with sauerkraut and some polenta-like thing on the side. Washed down with a liter of German lager and it was a very nice meal.
    Admittedly my experience with German food has been limited. When I was growing up, my best friend's grandparents were from Germany. His grandpa actually fought for Germany in WWI. He was a character. Always drank room temperature PBR. :n00b: Sometimes we'd go over there for Sunday dinners and it seemed like his grandma always made sauerbraten. :puke: To me, it just tasted like spoiled meat. But she made absolutely killer soft pretzels! :drool:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Admittedly my experience with German food has been limited. When I was growing up, my best friend's grandparents were from Germany. His grandpa actually fought for Germany in WWI. He was a character. Always drank room temperature PBR. :n00b: Sometimes we'd go over there for Sunday dinners and it seemed like his grandma always made sauerbraten. :puke: To me, it just tasted like spoiled meat. But she made absolutely killer soft pretzels! :drool:
    You have'nt lived until you've drank room temp PBR or Schlitz if you prefer. It should be on everyone's bucket list.

Last edited:

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Schwätzers in Seymour is good.
    The last time I was supposed to go towards Seymour, the plan got canceled. :whistle: (I don't remember if it was you or me who canceled on the last one, but I was definitely at fault once)
    I need to get over to the Hofbräuhaus in Newport soon. That's the bees pajamas.
    Agreed 100%. Visited the aquarium and the Hofbrau joint there. So, so good. Heck, I like just a good Haufbrau ale at home.

If you are ever south near French Lick this place was good.
    Dang. I was just there last summer.

Purdue has Bruno's which is kinda Swiss-Italy-Germany border region, but they're take out only and I don't care for their red sauce for anything other than their pizza (It's still Indiana pizza that all sucks, sorry, but it's true).

Top Bottom