• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Mine's all manual (sockets for the house, plugs and extensions for the genny). I'm too damn stupid to remember crap. If it plugs in it works, if it ain't, it don't (one or the other, but not both). lol. Keeps backfeeding out of the loop entirely.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Mine's all manual (sockets for the house, plugs and extensions for the genny). I'm too damn stupid to remember crap. If it plugs in it works, if it ain't, it don't (one or the other, but not both). lol. Keeps backfeeding out of the loop entirely.

Almost the same for me, I just backfeed from the shop to the house.
    If its just me at the farm I have a small Honda super quiet, and with a male to male ext cord I just plug it in on the porch and half the breaker panel is hot. What I need for basic comfort is on one side of the breaker panel. Just be sure to shut off the main breaker so no smoke comes out of your Genny where its not supposed to.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Almost the same for me, I just backfeed from the shop to the house.
    If its just me at the farm I have a small Honda super quiet, and with a male to male ext cord I just plug it in on the porch and half the breaker panel is hot. What I need for basic comfort is on one side of the breaker panel. Just be sure to shut off the main breaker so no smoke comes out of your Genny where its not supposed to.

I used to back feed but the spouse is not all that sharp with these things. If she needs light she just turns it on. Same with appliances. She is no dummy just an "A" typical spoiled city woman. That prompted me to make dedicated cords for dedicated loads. The boxes are not hot when we run the Genny's.
    1 cord for the refrigerators.....1 cord for the furnace and associated lighting. The TV's and such are run off a smaller clean power genny.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to have those spousal issues, but she wised up and got rid of me.
    Lucky me.. :)

Ha.........I have lost 2 of them somewhere along lifes path. Miss neither of them.

We had a sweet battery back up for lights and lite duty. Had a few actually. Friends see them and make me offers I can not refuse and we install them in their cabins and Rural homes. I need to get another one put together. Winter is coming.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    For those with the genny hooked to the main panel:

How hard is this to do? I'm slightly capable of doing some electrical. I've installed breakers. I wired my service pole, meter box, and panel for my deer camp. What's the approx cost of materials?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

How hard is this to do? I'm slightly capable of doing some electrical. I've installed breakers. I wired my service pole, meter box, and panel for my deer camp. What's the approx cost of materials?

There are "Kits" available at the big box stores and genny suppliers. Look at the kits and see if you can put one together a bit cheaper.
    I have done some for friends that require some common sense to use.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    After we bought the 10k gen I got lazy and bought the big box kit for $250. Yes it was a little expensive but it had everything you need and was super simple to install.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ha.........I have lost 2 of them somewhere along lifes path. Miss neither of them.

We had a sweet battery back up for lights and lite duty. Had a few actually. Friends see them and make me offers I can not refuse and we install them in their cabins and Rural homes. I need to get another one put together. Winter is coming.

I hope these offers don't include references to their sympathy for that accident you had next week! :):

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I bought a Generlink from my local REMC. Its a collar that goes behind your meter that has a plug in and comes with a cord for your generator. It prevents back feeding the line and makes hooking a generator up nice and easy. It also has a green light on the bottom that comes on if the main power is back which is nice. I shut off all the breakers in my box, then hook up the generator, and then turn back on the breakers I want to run. Sump pump and fridge mainly but my generator is big enough to run several lights (all LED) and the TV. The Generlink was a bit pricey at $725 (installed). But I wanted something pretty simply that my wife could manage if I was at work or not home.

Clark County REMC | Products For Sale

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Watch this video. If this is it, I can do this. [video]https://youtu.be/7--oK3BXN5U[/video] The beginning is kind of cheesy but it has great detail.

Cost depends on how many circuits you want, you can use all of your generator's capacity for less that $500 in most cases.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I really like the idea of that double male cord plugged into the porch outlet. If that is a way to go, why are folks throwing so much money at switches, boxes and the like?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I really like the idea of that double male cord plugged into the porch outlet. If that is a way to go, why are folks throwing so much money at switches, boxes and the like?

Because with out common sense being used serious injury and damage can be done. A standard receptacle is usually a 15 amp service rating. Lighting up half of a 100 amp box even if you just use select breakers it will overload that receptacle.
    Add to this if you (not you but) forget to open the main breaker you will back feed the lines and could injure or kill anyone working on them to restore power.
    I used to do this but not anymore for the above reasons. Dedicated cords to measured loads.

socom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2015
    sellersburg
    I dont think the first post really applies to us (USA). Things are much different here then say Europe. Though some of the points were good. But i vbleieve back roads are better then main which will be blocked. Also i think being in the middle of a city if a SHTF situation is worst case unless your out quick.

Top Bottom