• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So I've read on INGO that one should run your generator at least once a month for 10 to 15 mins to ensure that it is working and cause generators like to be run. :D

So my question is should the generator be run and say at the 15 minute mark, cut the fuel line (ie. turn off the fuel line value) so the generator continues until it runs dry will most likely sputter a few times before the motor spots.

Is this OK to do on the motor.
    Or should one just turn it off and leave whatever gas may still be in the system. Note that gas is untreated fuel (no stabilizer) as I tend to add just a little bit so the generator runs for 10 to 15 mins.

Thanks

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    Jedi, it's fine to do that. Running the Gas out like that is best so all of the fuel is out of the Carb and it Doesn't "Gum Up". After it stops on it's own Pull the cord a few more times to ensure ALL of the Fuel is out. It's the Way I was taught when I worked at a Deere Dealership in High School

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Geny has no cord. Its an auto start type with push button. So just re-start it that way.
    Remeber boys and girl jedi is pc nerd not motor head

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Should minimize starting or stopping under load. Bad for electrical equip.

Running outta fuel no problem.

I use stabil in mine. Don't keep too much in at a time.
    2 gas cans. Rotate use. Use the gas in lawnmower and snowblower, keeps gas fresh.

I'm an instrument guy, so I have installed ...
    Hour meter
    Volt meter
    Ampmeter
    Freq meter

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I wouldn't stress that push-starter more than you have to as they're a common point of failure. That being said, it *should* have a reserve pull-cord on it somewhere. Starts can (and will) fail and you do still need to be able to fire it up.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I keep my generator filled with Stabil treated gasoline and change out the gas every Fall. I drain the unit and dump the gas in my vehicle tank and burn it up with normal driving.

I start my unit every 3 months and let it run for 10-15 minutes. I put a load on the unit to make sure the electrical output is working and then I close the petcock and let it run until the unit dies. Mine is a manual start, but all I have to do is turn on the gas, pull out the choke and it usually starts on the first pull.

I have 6-7 five gallon gas cans that get filled up every Fall. I watch gas prices and fill them all when prices are lowest. I always add Stabil and use up the gas throughout the year in my mowers, blowers, chipper and tillers. The thing to remember is that in a major power outage or SHTF situation, local supplies of gas may be unavailable. A larger generator like mine can go through 6 gallons of gas in 8 hours of constant run. It could take 3-4 days to get power restored after a major storm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You will not really hurt it but it is OK and probably better to leave the carb wet or full of fuel. Just add some stabilizer and run it on a regular schedule.
    I have stored everything from bikes, boats, cars, genny's and so on. If I can keep the bowls wet they seem to like it a lot more than being ran dry. If you shut the fuel off and the bowl evaporates dry it will leave enough crap behind as to plug up the jets. Not always but why run the risk. Stabilize and leave it wet.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You will not really hurt it but it is OK and probably better to leave the carb wet or full of fuel. Just add some stabilizer and run it on a regular schedule.
    Best to drain it if you can if it's going to be stored for 6+ months.

If you're going to fire it up every 3 months, I wouldn't bother.

On my motorcycle I always drained the carbs before storing it for the winter in addition to filling the tank with fuel and adding sta-bil.

Filling the tank helps prevent rust from forming on the inside of the tank, sta-bil keeps the gas fresh, and draining the float bowls helps make sure that they don't get gummed up and is a good idea regardless of whether you use sta-bil or not.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I run mine for about 15 mins every 2 to 3 months. I keep stabilizer in it and have not had a single problem and have been doing this for 8 years or so with the same generator. It always starts right up. I also plug something into each socket just to draw a little electricity.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Best to drain it if you can if it's going to be stored for 6+ months.

If you're going to fire it up every 3 months, I wouldn't bother.

On my motorcycle I always drained the carbs before storing it for the winter in addition to filling the tank with fuel and adding sta-bil.

Filling the tank helps prevent rust from forming on the inside of the tank, sta-bil keeps the gas fresh, and draining the float bowls helps make sure that they don't get gummed up and is a good idea regardless of whether you use sta-bil or not.

I always had gravity fed bikes not positive shut off valves that required a vacuum signal to allow fuel to pass so I left them wet. I also rode when possible even in the winter (hang over ride on new years day etc.) so I guess the ritual is different for everyone based on usage.
    Even my race cars were started at least monthly in the winter to keep everything wet and they did well for the attention.

True if you are doing a 6 month deal. The specifics are much different.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I always had gravity fed bikes not positive shut off valves that required a vacuum signal to allow fuel to pass so I left them wet. I also rode when possible even in the winter (hang over ride on new years day etc.) so I guess the ritual is different for everyone based on usage.
    Even my race cars were started at least monthly in the winter to keep everything wet and they did well for the attention.

True if you are doing a 6 month deal. The specifics are much different.
    Mine have always had a petcock, so I just left it running and turned the petcock off. Once it died, I'd open the bowl drains and get what little bit was left.

Even if you don't have the vacuum line, you *should* still be able to turn off the petcock and shut off fuel, but I'm obviously not familiar with what you had.

So long as it worked for you, that's great :). I'm just not a fan of pulling the carbs out to clean them more than necessary... When tuning the bike on the dyno I had the carbs out a dozen times adjusting jets and needles and such... That was enough for a while.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Stabilize the fuel and leave it full. Bottom of the paint can doesn't gum up because it doesn't dry out. Why would you want to dry out and varnish up the float, float needle or fuel passages. Keep it wet.

Top Bottom