• ...and so much more!
  • BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    Hey All,

I have contacted a AIM surplus about purchasing a pallet of 7.62x54R surplus ammo. Standard spam cans with 440 rounds per can. Right now AIM has them for $100 a tin. If a pallet is purchased the price will be lowered to $88 per tin. There are 72 tins on a pallet. I am willing to make the drive to Ohio to get the ammo, all I want is the fuel cost covered. When split amongst a large group of people the fuel cost should be really low. I am looking for members in the Terre Haute, IN area at this time only. (I really don't want to drive all over the state delivering ammo) If you are willing to meet in the Terre Haute Area to pick up the ammo, that can be arranged.

As of now I have 20 tins allotted for from co-workers and friends. So 52 tins are up for grabs at a decent price.

If there are any unforseen legal implications in doing this please let me know.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I would be in for a tin. I would pick up in Terre Haute.

Maybe more, depending upon my funds.

Last edited:

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I'd like two cans, in the wood box, with an opener. I'm in Monroe County, but I could drive to Terre Haute and pick it up. Can you give me some idea of a price?

Thanks!

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    I have seen pictures of AIMs warehouse and I believe that the tins come in a wood crate. I will verify tomorrow. I will also verify about the openers.

I'd like two cans, in the wood box, with an opener. I'm in Monroe County, but I could drive to Terre Haute and pick it up. Can you give me some idea of a price?

Thanks!

What are you guys looking for time wise? I would like to get this done as soon as possible. Maybe a couple weeks, depending on if I can get the people together.

Yeah depending when it's done I'd be down for at least a tin

Depending on when, I would be interested in a tin, 2 if I get it in the wood case.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Don't forget if you drive over and get it, you pay ohio sales tax. not a big deal, but adds a bit to the cost.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Give us a total price including tax and your gas please, so we can make an informed decision.
    I payed $90 each for two tins about three 1500's ago.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    The Sportsman's Guide as recently as March had crates shipped for about $170 after coupon (for members).

This is an OK deal, but not so much considering the necessity to purchase so many...adding some complication.

Not trashing the thread - just a thought.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Based on his post count, time as a member, and the history of group buys... I'll keep you all in my thoughts. Not saying he isn't a stand up guy, but I am going with history on the boards with this one...

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Based on his post count, time as a member, and the history of group buys... I'll keep you all in my thoughts. Not saying he isn't a stand up guy, but I am going with history on the boards with this one...

Let's not beat him down quite yet. While it's prudent to reserve judgement, being hostile to a prospective group buy is the quickest way to shut it down.

How is funding intended to be handled? 52 cans @ $88 per is a lot of money. With tax and gas, $4,900+ is a lot of money to entrust to someone who is as yet an unproven quantity. Perhaps an escrow agent would volunteer to handle funds? For example, a trusted vendor here could collect funds and issue a certified check to AIM for the ammo mule to carry? There should be online escrow services as well...

I would be down for a case if I didn't have to make the haul down to Terrible Hole. You would probably get lots of interest if you made a stop in Indy and let those of us in the Metro area meet you in one location for a pick-up.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    To the OP... If remember correctly. A 440 tin weighs around 35lbs. Did you realize 72 tins would weigh over 2500lbs? You better be hauling a trailer to move that kind of weight or you are going to be busting axles!

Id be down for 1 or 2 cases of 880. Will know for sure once a guesstimate can be made on full cost.

Id also be willing to take a load over to Indy for those guys to pickup at a meeting place (most likely a good food type of place) on a saturday or sunday.

I live just minutes north of Terre Haute.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    OK so here is the breakdown on cost.

72 tins x $88 = $6,336
    6,336 x 5.75% = $364.32
    So total before fuel cost would be $6700.32 (or 93.06 a tin)

I sent AIM an email today about the possibly of shipping Fedex Freight. I went online and got an estimate of $450. It might be more cost effective to have it shipped. Plus, there would be less risk involved for everyone. If my shipping estimate is correct the price would be $94.25 a tin. Personally, I am okay with paying a little over a dollar more per tin if there is less risk involved in the transaction.

I get that there would be more interest if the Indy area was a drop off point. However, I am a newish member here and I don't want to add more complication to the deal than necessary at this point. I want the deal to go smoothly and build a good reputation on the forum. If remauto1187 is willing to take ammo to Indy that is fine by me, I just don't want to take on to much coordinating.

In regards to funding. I would be able to put up the money for the initial purchase if need be. I would prefer not to do that, but I can if need be. The certified check idea might work well also. Does anyone have any thoughts on who might be a good third party for this?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I called Indy Trading post, they have it in stock for $200/880. I bought 4 boxes last year for $150/880 from them. If you can save tax it may be worth the effort I guess, otherwise it seems AIM isn't giving that big of a discount?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    OK so here is the breakdown on cost.

72 tins x $88 = $6,336
    6,336 x 5.75% = $364.32
    So total before fuel cost would be $6700.32 (or 93.06 a tin)

I sent AIM an email today about the possibly of shipping Fedex Freight. I went online and got an estimate of $450. It might be more cost effective to have it shipped. Plus, there would be less risk involved for everyone. If my shipping estimate is correct the price would be $94.25 a tin. Personally, I am okay with paying a little over a dollar more per tin if there is less risk involved in the transaction.

I get that there would be more interest if the Indy area was a drop off point. However, I am a newish member here and I don't want to add more complication to the deal than necessary at this point. I want the deal to go smoothly and build a good reputation on the forum. If remauto1187 is willing to take ammo to Indy that is fine by me, I just don't want to take on to much coordinating.

In regards to funding. I would be able to put up the money for the initial purchase if need be. I would prefer not to do that, but I can if need be. The certified check idea might work well also. Does anyone have any thoughts on who might be a good third party for this?

I will help on coordinating and setting up and actual delivey to Indianapolis. (no charge). First I would call around to 4 or 5 ammo dealers and get a pallet quote.

Top Bottom