• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    Is this panic buying as the supply is possibly drying up?

Seems like a lot of hassle for little to no savings over just shopping around a bit. :dunno:

No panic buying here. I know that I would like to have 10 or more tins on hand. I am sure that there are others on here that would aslo. The little savings that can be had is easily multiplied on a per unit basis. Lets say we are only saving $7 a unit. At 10 tins thats $70 in savings.

I will help on coordinating and setting up and actual delivey to Indianapolis. (no charge). First I would call around to 4 or 5 ammo dealers and get a pallet quote.

I contacted Souther Ohio Gun. The do not sell by the pallet and they told me about a price increase soon. (I'm not sure if I believe that, but I'm just relaying what I was told.) I also contacted Bulk-Ammo out of st. louis. They offer a 5% discount, which isn't that great.

I am waiting on a response from The-Armory. They had some good prices on sealed spam cans, and better prices on the lead tin cans. The killer there will be the shipping but we will see.

I was also contacted by AIM again with a shipping estimate of around $250. To go through AIM we woud be around $91.50 ($91.4722) per tin. ALso, sales tax there is 6.5% or ($411.84). So if we go through AIM it will cost less to ship than to pick it up.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm not interested but I will say this. #1 I've bought whole pallets from AIM before. Unless things have changed, by driving and picking up on-site you will have to pay OH sales tax which pretty much negates cost savings of picking it up. Freight on the last pallet I bought from them was less than $200 and that was for 60k rounds of 7.62X39. I can't drive there, pay OH sales tax and drive back cheaper than $200.

That being said, if you're going to drive, I think it would be a good idea to give people 2-3 meeting points along your route (I-70 I assume) with Indy being one meeting point. Tell them you plan to come back through around X time and you will be at each point for 30 minutes. This would save a ton of time/driving on the part of everybody else, especially those that are on the more eastern end of your route...

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    I contacted Souther Ohio Gun. The do not sell by the pallet and they told me about a price increase soon. (I'm not sure if I believe that, but I'm just relaying what I was told.) I also contacted Bulk-Ammo out of st. louis. They offer a 5% discount, which isn't that great.

I am waiting on a response from The-Armory. They had some good prices on sealed spam cans, and better prices on the lead tin cans. The killer there will be the shipping but we will see.

I was also contacted by AIM again with a shipping estimate of around $250. To go through AIM we woud be around $91.50 ($91.4722) per tin. ALso, sales tax there is 6.5% or ($411.84). So if we go through AIM it will cost less to ship than to pick it up.

Update:

I contacted luckygunner.com. They only offer a 5% discount on orders over $5k

Ammoman.com only has 40 tins in stock and isn't willing to move on price. @ $110 a tin

I have heard nothing from The-armory.com. however, I tried to put several items in to the shopping cart to get an estimate and all of the surplus, and 54R was listed as out of stock when I did so.

Wideners would not move on their price, and neither would ammuntiontogo.com.

As as of right now the best price to be had is through AIM surplus at $91.50 shipped ($88 a tin + $3.50 shipping.) Not a smoking deal by any means, but a deal nevertheless. In my humble oppinion, this is a good opportunity to stock up in high volume at one time. Personally, I am going for 8 or 9 tins for myself. The real cost saving on this group buy is going to be on shipping. Since shipping per tin will only be $3.50.

If anyone has any vendors they would like to reccomend that I should contact please say so. I've tried to do my homework on this, so please let me know if I have fallen short. I believe that they only thing left to do is to get a solution for funding, and to get final commitments. I would like to encourage open discussion on this, please.

I would also like to make it clear that I will not be profiting in any way because of this endvor. Just simply saving some money on ammo.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    To the OP... If remember correctly. A 440 tin weighs around 35lbs. Did you realize 72 tins would weigh over 2500lbs? You better be hauling a trailer to move that kind of weight or you are going to be busting axles!
    Just saw this... busting axles? Not likely, heck even a half ton truck will haul that much. Is it rated for it? No Will it look like crap with that much weight in the back? Yes, but it will handle it. I have a 3/4 ton GMC truck that I've had 6,000+ lbs in the bed and it still wasn't touching the axle bumpers. No axles were broken and I highly doubt you would break one unless you load it to the point it is resting on the bumpers and you drive through a lot of pot-holes or other bumps like that...

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Let's make this deal happen, ain't getting any younger or cheaper!

Looks like shipping is the way to go, unless you really, really wanna drive. Maybe we can get a vendor in Indy to receive the shipment and we can all collect our loot from there?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Looks like shipping is the way to go, unless you really, really wanna drive. Maybe we can get a vendor in Indy to receive the shipment and we can all collect our loot from there?

That's actually not a bad idea. Freight is normally cheaper to a business address with a forklift or loading dock. We had our pallet delivered to a friend's business. They unloaded it, called us to pick it up, and loaded it in the truck for us.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central

That's actually not a bad idea. Freight is normally cheaper to a business address with a forklift or loading dock. We had our pallet delivered to a friend's business. They unloaded it, called us to pick it up, and loaded it in the truck for us.

The shipping estimate that I got was to my workplace. I cleared it with my boss and have use of a fork truck. I believe that the reason that the quote was as low as it was, was because both locations use Fedex as approved carriers or some such thing.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    SO, checking in on where we stand on this. I need to plus up on some ammo, do we think this deal is going to happen in the near future?

If everyone on here that said they were interested are still in I have enough people to go through with the buy. I'm going to fallow up with people today.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Got the email checking for interest, thanks. Were we not able to get a crowdfunding option or a vendor on-board for funding? Handling a pile of checks and MO's is both a headache and a source of nervousness for many people.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    Got the email checking for interest, thanks. Were we not able to get a crowdfunding option or a vendor on-board for funding? Handling a pile of checks and MO's is both a headache and a source of nervousness for many people.

As of right now, there are (3) people on this forum who are participating in the group buy. A majority of those who are participating are doing so through face to face interaction. These people are co-workers and friends of mine. Out of that group of people that I have locally (3) people have committed to buy a minimum of (40) tins of ammo. A crowdfunding option could be arranged, but I have never dealt with one. I am not sure if it would prove to be more of a hassle that it is worth.

Edit: If you are extremely worried about loosing your money I can put the money down for you and you can pay when it comes in. I said I would be willing to do that if I needed to a few posts ago, and I'll hold true to my word.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    As of right now, there are (3) people on this forum who are participating in the group buy. A majority of those who are participating are doing so through face to face interaction. These people are co-workers and friends of mine. Out of that group of people that I have locally (3) people have committed to buy a minimum of (40) tins of ammo. A crowdfunding option could be arranged, but I have never dealt with one. I am not sure if it would prove to be more of a hassle that it is worth.

Edit: If you are extremely worried about loosing your money I can put the money down for you and you can pay when it comes in. I said I would be willing to do that if I needed to a few posts ago, and I'll hold true to my word.

I'll be out of town pretty soon for AT with the Guard, so if you get the ammo in the next week or hold some until the end of the month, I'd definitely be down for a couple cans.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    How many ingoers are doin this?
    So far I see no interest from others, post if your buying anything.
    Btg, list the ingoers who are down.

BtG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    west central
    FYI: I got money from the three largest purchasers in the buy and I placed the order yesterday afternoon (I funded the rest myself.) They told me that they would have to resubmit the freight quote and would get back to me later in the day, but I never got a call back. I asume that they will call me back on Monday. I was also sent an order comfrimation email, but the total cost did not include shipping.

INGO People who have said that they want to buy:
    Cerebus85 - 2 tins
    Chezuki-1
    remauto1187 - 2
    Indyk - 1
    enginerpower - 2
    (Total of 8 tins)

I have about 10 tins that I am going to pay for that nobody has laid claim to. (Meaning that if anyone still wants to get in there are 10 spots available.) The rest of the tins I have commitments and money from local people.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom