• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I heard today that there are something like 83 wildfires ongoing, across the southeast part of the country. They're having a pretty bad drought down there right now so any idiot that sets a fire will probably lose control of it quickly.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A friend was supposed to be married in Gatlinburg yesterday. Instead of wedding pics he sent me evacuation pics with the tree line burning and fire extremely close to the car. Said it was an unbelievable and heartbreaking sight

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    According to WISH TV, news,

it is RAINING down there .....
    It is, but that's a double edged sword. The reports I've seen have said that there wasn't really enough rain to contain the fires, but there was enough to de-stabilize the soil due to trees and brush already weakened by the fire not being able to hold it in place. Now they have to be concerned about falling trees and possible mudslides.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I hope Cades Cove is unaffected. We always enjoy driving through there and visiting the old cabins, barns, churches, mill...

Mike

Yep...We stay in Townsend....I like fly fishing fishing Abrams Creek, (cast my first fly there at age 15 and I am north of 50 now) and the wife hikes along the stream as I fish.....I believe Cades Cove is not affected...My brother and his family have a cabin booked for January in Gatlinburg...

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    The wife and I were leaving tomorrow for a mini vacation. We were going to stay at the Westgate Resort right off the spur because my parents are owners. Well it's 99% gone. Sure glad we did a week long family vacation downt there 6 weeks ago. We are all heartbroken, it is our favorite place to go.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I hope Cades Cove is unaffected. We always enjoy driving through there and visiting the old cabins, barns, churches, mill...

Mike

Agreed. Cade's Cove is nice. My parents lived in Sevierville for several years and had a very nice cabin (3 story, walkout basement, etc) there, but moved back to FL a couple of years back. We used to check out Cade's Cove from time to time.

A friend was supposed to be married in Gatlinburg yesterday. Instead of wedding pics he sent me evacuation pics with the tree line burning and fire extremely close to the car. Said it was an unbelievable and heartbreaking sight

I'd take that as a sign... :stickpoke:

Yep...We stay in Townsend....I like fly fishing fishing Abrams Creek, (cast my first fly there at age 15 and I am north of 50 now) and the wife hikes along the stream as I fish.....I believe Cades Cove is not affected...My brother and his family have a cabin booked for January in Gatlinburg...

Townsend is very nice as well. Been a while since I was there, but definitely less tourist trap than Pigeon Forge and much quieter.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    A lot of the Fires resulted from 89MPH Winds knocking trees onto Power Lines. We've spent Vacations in those Mountains yearly for 25+ years. Lost of folks unaccounted for yet. I've been watching updates on the Knoxville TV Station websites, really sad.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    According to WISH TV, news,

it is RAINING down there .....

I'm not sure how much they got but one report I heard was that the eastern portion of Tennessee was something like 20" below their normal rainfall amount for the year.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    11 dead now.

I have seen and done some crazy stuff and even I was on edge watching the video of the guys trying to drive off that mountain.

Top Bottom