• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We are going down that way for a few days next weekend. I know Tennessee is a signs have force of law state. It also looks like their version of Constitutional Carry really isn’t.

Anybody been down there fairly recently?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Our family went down there over July 4th this past summer. The pistol stayed in the hotel room safe or the car during our day trips into Sevierville for all the tourist trappy things.

Let’s just say the pistol did not stay there the rest of the time. Oh, and don’t bother going to Bud’s Gun Shop. Major disappointment with very rude sales people.

In my example of one they treat knowledgeable gun owners like every dork that walks in there not knowing **** from apple butter about guns.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Tn has a .02 alcohol limit if you are a drinker. In other words, if you drink, don't be armed in public. Most bars kinda are gun free due to that law and rednecks of the past. lol Castle Doctrine also covers your car and motel rooms. I was living there when they passed the constitutional carry, What's different about it than here? oh and gun free signs are enforced. Also there is a duty to report. What they tell residents to do when pulled over to give your permit with your DL.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    We were there a couple months ago. I saw 1 sign in town, and 1 of the free moonshine tasting places had a reminder up not to drink if you were carrying, but other than that the only place I didn't carry was Dollywood. I could have, the only security was a basic bag check, but it was a long walk back to the car if they had a metal detector, so I didn't bring it. We had a really good time.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I believe that No gun signs there have to be worded very specifically. But yeah, the police in Gatlinburg are very no nonsense, so if y’all plan on drinking, keep a low profile, especially walking up and down the strip.

We go a few times a year, but always during the slower months, January and early to mid February, then again in late April and early May, and thanksgiving week, and have never had issues.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Tn has a .02 alcohol limit if you are a drinker. In other words, if you drink, don't be armed in public. Most bars kinda are gun free due to that law and rednecks of the past. lol Castle Doctrine also covers your car and motel rooms. I was living there when they passed the constitutional carry, What's different about it than here? oh and gun free signs are enforced. Also there is a duty to report. What they tell residents to do when pulled over to give your permit with your DL.
    From what I’ve seen, there are restrictions, places you cannot carry under constitutional carry that require a handgun license.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    We go often…… obviously if doing amusement park stuff logistically it should stay in the car….. otherwise I carry everywhere. There is a restaurant we like going to (big daddy’s pizzeria arcade killer wings pizza and arcade for the kids) they have a sign.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    From what I’ve seen, there are restrictions, places you cannot carry under constitutional carry that require a handgun license.
    What I remember was all government buildings (even state and local), schools unless you are picking someone up and no getting out of your car. Hospitals. And used to be bars, but they changed it and let the bars decide. I have been gone a little over a year and half now. So some things might have changed. I don't remember having to have a permit in any place that I could carry that was a no go otherwise. Oh also its a CCW not a LTCH down there. There is a funky law that doesn't pertain to handguns but it is unlawful to carry with the attempt to go armed. In other words no loaded rifles or shotguns. It also covers numb chucks and swords ETC. lol I never open carry and was living in Nashville so not sure what the open carry laws were.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We go often…… obviously if doing amusement park stuff logistically it should stay in the car….. otherwise I carry everywhere. There is a restaurant we like going to (big daddy’s pizzeria arcade killer wings pizza and arcade for the kids) they have a sign.
    Big daddys is one of our regular stops there too.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What I remember was all government buildings (even state and local), schools unless you are picking someone up and no getting out of your car. Hospitals. And used to be bars, but they changed it and let the bars decide. I have been gone a little over a year and half now. So some things might have changed. I don't remember having to have a permit in any place that I could carry that was a no go otherwise. Oh also its a CCW not a LTCH down there. There is a funky law that doesn't pertain to handguns but it is unlawful to carry with the attempt to go armed. In other words no loaded rifles or shotguns. It also covers numb chucks and swords ETC. lol I never open carry and was living in Nashville so not sure what the open carry laws were.
    Parks, greenways… I’ll post the link when I get back home and I’m not on my phone.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Do they have signs? I can’t remember. Just black bears so normally concealed means concealed for me a lot less worry that way.
    The welcome center right on the west end of Gatlinburg does, and the visitor center in Cades cove did as of last year. Aside from those two, I can’t say about other places throughout the park. I looked for a sign on the little gift shop place at Klingmans Dome, but I can’t remember if there was one there or not.

The sugarland visitor center has a large sign with park rules on it, and it specifically said “no carry in any structure on park property”. From its wording, it seems to prohibit carrying even in the old abandoned cabins and barns.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Our family went down there over July 4th this past summer. The pistol stayed in the hotel room safe or the car during our day trips into Sevierville for all the tourist trappy things.

Let’s just say the pistol did not stay there the rest of the time. Oh, and don’t bother going to Bud’s Gun Shop. Major disappointment with very rude sales people.

In my example of one they treat knowledgeable gun owners like every dork that walks in there not knowing **** from apple butter about guns.
    Yeah,me and the wife went down there for our 30th anniversary because that’s where we went on our honeymoon. Buds gun shop was a huge disappointment but Smokey Mountain knife works was worth the drive. I went there twice before we left. I had an AR-strapped behind my seat and carried everywhere I went including the welcome center north of Sevierville. When I researched before the trip, Tenn. honored In. Permits. It appears I may have overlooked some things. We were there in September for a week. I really don’t remember seeing any signs about carrying.

Top Bottom