• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My nephew is a left-wing Democrat, so I am always treated to their nonsense on social media. The latest is that the rise in gas prices is all due to price-gouging by the evil oil companies, Biden is doing a great job!
    I've tried to explain it to people I know as simply as possible. What a company charges for something has to be driven by the expected price they will pay for their next shipment of raw materials, not what they paid for the last one

Ergo gasoline prices move pretty much in lockstep with the price of crude, and when you beat down domestic production and then embargo 8% of world production in a tight world market, pricing will chase supply and there will be no price competition at the retail level unless and until supplies seem more stable

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I've tried to explain it to people I know as simply as possible. What a company charges for something has to be driven by the expected price they will pay for their next shipment of raw materials, not what they paid for the last one

Ergo gasoline prices move pretty much in lockstep with the price of crude, and when you beat down domestic production and then embargo 8% of world production in a tight world market, pricing will chase supply and there will be no price competition at the retail level unless and until supplies seem more stable

The same people that bought something valuable for a nickel at a yardsale and resold it to a collector for over a hundred dollars calls what you describe "price gouging"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Gasoline seems to be one of the only commodities that behaves that way though. The price of oranges doesn't go up when the Farmer's Almanac predicts a cold winter in Florida. They only go up when the cold winter actually happens and the supply of oranges is affected. A barrel of oil today isn't going to make it to the refiners today, so the gas stations' prices aren't going to be affected until it's time to buy again.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The price of oranges doesn't go up when the Farmer's Almanac predicts a cold winter in Florida.
    The difference is the price of that raw material has ALREADY gone up sharply. It would be more analogous to Florida has already had the hard freeze and the supply of oranges is estimated to decline by 1/2. What would happen to the price of future purchases of oranges in that scenario?

If you are making widgets and selling them at twice your cost of materials, what happens to the price you must charge for widgets when the cost of those materials jumps by 100%. That 2x pricing over materials wasn't all profit, in fact profit likely was well under 10%. To maintain a stable business, you would have to double your prices

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I want to be a Democrat President, so I can change my mind on a whim and blame other people for my own mistakes…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The same people that bought something valuable for a nickel at a yardsale and resold it to a collector for over a hundred dollars calls what you describe "price gouging"
    Wow! “Price gouging”. Where people tell the owner what price he is allowed to charge for what he owns.

What on earth is wrong with buying low and selling high?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My nephew is a left-wing Democrat, so I am always treated to their nonsense on social media. The latest is that the rise in gas prices is all due to price-gouging by the evil oil companies, Biden is doing a great job!
    The law of supply and demand is a mystery to some.

Also the same people surprised that inflation is caused by an oversupply of money chasing too small amount of goods/services.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    The law of supply and demand is a mystery to some.

Also the same people surprised that inflation is caused by an oversupply of money chasing too small amount of goods/services.

I'm convinced this is not a conspiracy, ignorance or political issue, or even ideology that they're following. At this point, I think it's a religion.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Previous record high gas prices was when oil was 140 a barrel. Gas is now higher yet oil was at 110 a barrel. Companies are making record profits during these times

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Previous record high gas prices was when oil was 140 a barrel. Gas is now higher yet oil was at 110 a barrel. Companies are making record profits during these times

Maybe? Do we know what the cost of doing oil business is under Biden vs back then?

For sure though, state and federal gas taxes are higher now than then.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Strange the price of cattle hasn’t doubled

Not to the small cap independent producer, no

Not to hijack, but...

This is what is happening to most of the markets where there should be competition. Smaller producers are either bought up or regulated out of the market, leaving only a few large producers to form a cabal and lobby to keep it that way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom