• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Again weak on details but it will be a violation of the terms of sale (use, contract, etc.) and therefore illegal to alter, even on what you"own", as you really never own it as long as you have what others still own the rights to...
    You're just saying voiding the warranty in a scary way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Again weak on details but it will be a violation of the terms of sale (use, contract, etc.) and therefore illegal to alter, even on what you"own", as you really never own it as long as you have what others still own the rights to...
    No. It's not illegal to alter. No one is going to charge you with a crime. It's a civil issue. If you violate the terms of sale, i.e. alter the car, it'll void the warranty. But Tesla likes to go the extra mile and shut down your car until you put it back the way it was. Which, if it's part of their warranty terms, and you agreed to it, not much else you can do. But no one is going to charge you with a crime. It's not illegal.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No I am not. The manufacturers are way beyond voiding the warranty...
    Sure you are. You said it was illegal. Yet the authorities will not lock you up for, say, putting upgraded motors on your Tesla. But, people do modify Teslas all the time. It just depends what the mod is, and whether Tesla's warranty is still in effect. They might get ****** with you. Or they might just laugh at you. Like the one below.

Here's a heavily modded tesla:

I don't think she's ever been charged with modifying her Tesla.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No. It's not illegal to alter. No one is going to charge you with a crime. It's a civil issue. If you violate the terms of sale, i.e. alter the car, it'll void the warranty. But Tesla likes to go the extra mile and shut down your car until you put it back the way it was. Which, if it's part of their warranty terms, and you agreed to it, not much else you can do. But no one is going to charge you with a crime. It's not illegal.
    All I know is what I have read sporadically over the last 5 years or so.

"In order to modify or “hack” any type of software, you have to copy it first. Companies don’t like the copying thing, so many put locks in place to prevent this. But because hackers are hackers, we can easily get past their childish attempts to keep code and information out of our hands. So now they want to make it illegal. John Deere is arguing that if it is legal for hackers to copy and modify their software, that it could lead to farmers listening to pirated music while plowing a corn field. No I am not making this up — dig into this 25-page facepalm-fest (PDF) written by John Deere and you’ll be just as outraged."

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No, Biden gets all the blame. The price has been steadily increasing since Biden was confirmed on January 6th. I have been watching. When someone signs executive orders that diminished domestic production, what do you think will happen to the price? Basic economics.
    You can be in denial, but every time a refinery goes down prices go up. Take down four, and prices go up more.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    ok I am not up on my old Pontiacs as I am Chevys, I am guessing its their equivalent to a 327?
    Actually, all the Pontiac motors were based on the same big-block all the way from 326-455.
    Pontiac's V8s share the same connecting rod length 6.625 in (168.3 mm) (and connecting rod journal size) with the exceptions of the later short deck 301 and 265.
    I think they just chaged bore & stroke. The high perf versions got round port heads vs. standard D-port heads.

My 326 is the H.O. version where they basically stuck a 4-bbl onto a 2-bbl engine (they even left the 2-bbl cam in there) with 10.75:1 compression and had 289hp/360ft-lbs.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Actually, all the Pontiac motors were based on the same big-block all the way from 326-455.

I think they just chaged bore & stroke. The high perf versions got round port heads vs. standard D-port heads.

My 326 is the H.O. version where they basically stuck a 4-bbl onto a 2-bbl engine (they even left the 2-bbl cam in there) with 10.75:1 compression and had 289hp/360ft-lbs.
    really, what was the largest engine available in Firebirds from 67-69? I mean I am thinking Chevy 427 ZL-1

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All I know is what I have read sporadically over the last 5 years or so.

"In order to modify or “hack” any type of software, you have to copy it first. Companies don’t like the copying thing, so many put locks in place to prevent this. But because hackers are hackers, we can easily get past their childish attempts to keep code and information out of our hands. So now they want to make it illegal. John Deere is arguing that if it is legal for hackers to copy and modify their software, that it could lead to farmers listening to pirated music while plowing a corn field. No I am not making this up — dig into this 25-page facepalm-fest (PDF) written by John Deere and you’ll be just as outraged."

Very hyperbolic. I read through the PDF that was referenced. There's no swat teams involved. The dispute is essentially that John Deere thought that exemption for a certain class was overly broad and that third parties could exploit the vagueness to "free-ride" off of their products. Of course the PDF contains a lot of ******** reasoning, because, of naturally they want to make it sound as bad as possible. But no, they're not trying to do what the article alleges. In fact the US copywrite office went ahead with the exemptions after the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association withdrew their objections.

The article is very dishonest in how they frame this. They act farmer Joe will be out in his field trying to get his tractor going again, when the swat teams swarm in to arrest him. There's nothing like that in reality.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Very hyperbolic. I read through the PDF that was referenced. There's no swat teams involved. The dispute is essentially that John Deere thought that exemption for a certain class was overly broad and that third parties could exploit the vagueness to "free-ride" off of their products. Of course the PDF contains a lot of ******** reasoning, because, of naturally they want to make it sound as bad as possible. But no, they're not trying to do what the article alleges. In fact the US copywrite office went ahead with the exemptions after the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association withdrew their objections.

The article is very dishonest in how they frame this. They act farmer Joe will be out in his field trying to get his tractor going again, when the swat teams swarm in to arrest him. There's nothing like that in reality.
    OK, I'm just presenting info.

My spydey senses just do not trust corporations and the government to have these powers over the people...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OK, I'm just presenting info.

My spydey senses just do not trust corporations and the government to have these powers over the people...
    In the age of crony capitalism run amok, I can't say I trust them any more than you do. In this case though, it seemed more like JD was paranoid that competitors would reverse engineer their stuff and use it in competing products. The thing they were against was very specific and really didn't amount to what the hacker article alleged.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In the age of crony capitalism run amok, I can't say I trust them any more than you do. In this case though, it seemed more like JD was paranoid that competitors would reverse engineer their stuff and use it in competing products. The thing they were against was very specific and really didn't amount to what the hacker article alleged.
    I have read that such copying and reworking is made illegal by the DMCA and other software protection laws.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have read that such copying and reworking is made illegal by the DMCA and other software protection laws.
    There are exemptions to DMCA as enforced by the US copyright office. It was newly proposed language (in 2015) for an exemption that John Deere and the other manufacturers were against. JD objected to the one below where it's okay to circumvent the protections under those conditions. Later, the exemptions were adopted as the association withdrew its objection.

"Computer programs that are contained in and control the functioning of a motorized land vehicle such as a personal automobile, commercial motor vehicle or mechanized agricultural vehicle, when circumvention is a necessary step undertaken by the authorized owner of the vehicle to allow the diagnosis, repair or lawful modification of a vehicle function; and where such circumvention does not constitute a violation of applicable law, and provided, however, that such circumvention is initiated no earlier than 12 months after the effective date of this regulation."

Top Bottom