• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Thanks.
    What I'm looking for is something to tell me when the elec goes out/fails/recep fails.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would never run 2 loads like this on 1 circuit. Sometimes things go south with compressors and they hard start or just fail and load the breaker or grip it. If both are starting at the same time that’s bad JuJu sometimes. Plus if you plug in a sweeper or power tool on that same breaker you cause a higher load which in itself will or could cause issues with the compressors.
    Eliminate the GFI and split the loads if possible.
    In my shop next door we have a small chest freezer. The kids (they live in the house and the shop is mine) power the pool pump and had it plugged into the same circuit. Yup it was not happy. I pulled another circuit from the main panel to split that load. No more issues.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just changed the GFCI load in two of my apartments within the last week or so. One was a nuisance trip from a fridge. The other was because the place is empty and I checked the circuit to see if the fridge was ran thru the GFCI.

The way the places were wired I had to put additional GFCIs in so I could keep the kitchen safe at the sink. Cheaper than running a new circuit and easier to do it now rather than when the tenant calls with no power which is what happened at 11:30 one evening.

Thanks for posting the problem Doc as it just reminded me that the chest freezer I just put in the garage is on a GFCI circuit. Looks like I will have another thing to add to the honey do list.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Most refrigerators with vapor compression have what are called inductive loads. When an inductive load is switched off, it can produce electromagnetic interference (EMI). The interference can, and often will, trip a GFCI outlet.

In general GFI's are not very friendly with refrigerators and freezers. I would move both to a standard non-GFCI breaker. I had to do the very same myself a few years ago. They ran for several years on a GFCI breaker until they didn't.
    When the electric was done in my house I asked about the GFCI outlet behind the fridge. They told me new code was that the fridge had to be on its own circuit with a GFCI. I asked doesn't that make it a pain if it trips? They said yep, most people switch it to a standard outlet after it gets inspected.
    If my memory serves…even in a location that is required to be GFCI protected, certain loads like refrigerators can be on a non-GFCI receptacle if it is a single receptacle (not the typical duplex receptacle we’re famIliad with) and it’s not readily accessible. (like when the refrigerator is pushed up, in front of it).
    Not what I was told about a year ago or so. See above.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When the electric was done in my house I asked about the GFCI outlet behind the fridge. They told me new code was that the fridge had to be on its own circuit with a GFCI. I asked doesn't that make it a pain if it trips? They said yep, most people switch it to a standard outlet after it gets inspected.

Might have changed in the code. I know what I'd do if it were mine.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

You were told incorrectly. The fridge can be on the same circuit, not GFCI protected, but it must be a single gang receptacle. The other outlets still need GFCI protection.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You were told incorrectly. The fridge can be on the same circuit, not GFCI protected, but it must be a single gang receptacle. The other outlets still need GFCI protection.
    I'm not up on the latest couple of code cycles. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they changed it. The safety ratchet only ever goes in one direction.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I was looking through some info, and I see it is required in the kitchen on outlets that serve a counter top.
    Last year when I had the final inspection for my new place I was told by the code guy that everything in the kitchen had to be GFCI now, not just around the sink. Used to be six foot I believe. He did admit that the refrigerator was exempt.

Also, at least it used to be, that the washing machine didn't have to be GFCI protected. Always thought that it was funny when the rule said any water within a certain distance required them, but a washing machine didn't. Once again because of all the nuisance trips.

Hope I have the ambition to swap out the GFCI for my freezer in the garage... still haven't done it. But it is on the list. Will just move the GFCI down one receptacle and all will be good.

Top Bottom