Gall Bladder Removal - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As some of you heard about a month ago I had acute pancreatitis. It is now gone.

The doctors believe it was caused by blockage from a gallstone. Apparently I have them as much as state capitols have politicians.

I am being advised to have the gall bladder removed. I met with the surgeon today and he is strongly advising me to have it removed but not pushing. I have been symptom free ever since I go out. From his experience less than 5% of patients have any long term issues.

So now for a completely unscientific poll. Has anyone one here had their gall bladder removed or know someone who had their removed. What side effects, if any, have been experienced? Would you or they not have it removed if reverse time travel were possible?

I have heard an extremely small percentage of patients who have gone through this have a lifetime of diarrhea. This would be an effect I would seriously have to balance out, but every source I look at does confirm this is rare.

Thanks for the input!

Regards,

Doug

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    My mom had emergency gallbladder removal several years ago, with no ill effects. She's fine now. I'm not into second-guessing doctors, but faced with your situation, I think I'd wait until it caused another problem. It may never act up again. On the other hand, I don't believe it's extremely invasive surgery, these days.

Re-reading your post, if Doctor said you have lots of stones, and it WILL happen again, that would influence my decision.

Best of luck, whichever you decide.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I know of a couple people that say they have the squirts more often but it's worth it.

Some years back I would have the occasion pain in my abdomen that I would rate at 8 out of 10 on the scale. I think one time I asked my wife to just shoot me. The pain would only happen at night and I'm too stubborn to go to the ER. I'd wait it out and after a few hours it would go away. Finally I went to the Dr. and it was determined that I had gallstones and was advised to have the gallbladder removed. I met with a surgeon but was waiting until the start of new year to schedule it. Then in that time frame I quit having the gallbladder attacks so I never did get it removed. It's been around 8ish years and I've only have a couple minor gallbladder attacks. I guess whatever stone(s) that were causing the issue moved to a better area or something. I figure one of these years it will come back and surgery might happen but until then I ain't going to worry about it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had two different episodes, about 8 years apart. Severe abdominal pain, like crippling. First time, I was in the hospital for a couple days and they never figured out what caused the pain.

Second time, around 1998 or so, I went to the emergency room after a horrible night of pain. I went because I thought I was having a heart attack on top of the severe abdominal pain! Fortunately, the dr in the er knew his profession, and immediately ordered an ultrasound.

I went straight from ultrasound to surgery, my gallbladder had pretty much just died and was gangrene. The surgery was nothing, I think 4 small incisions and they remove it through one of those. I had to stay in the hospital 3-4 days after surgery because of the infection, and I had a drain tube sticking in one of the incisions, but if your doctor isn’t telling you to go immediately, I would schedule it now and have it gone.

I know quite a few people who had theirs removed and it was out patient, they didn’t even stay 8 hours, but they weren’t in the condition I was when I finally had it taken care of.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I had my gall bladder removed about 20 years ago, at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio. The operation went just fine, really felt nothing. I had to spend the night for observation. I‘m normally a good sleeper, but I was restless that night. Not pain, just couldn’t quite settle down. Nurse gave me Benadryl and that did the trick. I was told to stay home for a few days to recuperate, which I did, but I had no problems at all. No pain, no upset guts, nada. And I didn’t get any more gall stones, which was the point of the whole thing, and those were quite painful. Good riddance to gallbladder.

I have had no problems since. I’ve heard some people say they can’t eat certain things after having it removed, but I have not yet had any such issues.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Had mine out about 18 months ago. No gallstones. It took multiple trips to doctors and ER before I was sent in for an ultrasound. Procedure a piece of cake. Convalesced at home that same day for about 3 days. Worst part for me was the air in abdomen that traveled to my shoulder on day 2. Pain=8. Had a painkiller that produced wonderful hallucinations. It was worth it. But I also developed diarrhea after about a year. Now on meds to counteract it. Doing OK. Would do it again without a second thought. Dr said it had to come out. Instead of green, mine was red and black and full of sludge. YMMV

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wife had hers removed several years ago. I think there are some food combinations that cause her a little more trouble than others post surgery, but nothing major, and not very often.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For those who have had "issues" with eating fatty foods, has anyone tried taking an antidiuretic before eating? Something like a preemptive strike against the coming commie purge? If so, did it help?

Thanks,

Doug

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Wife is going through the same dilemma since mid January. 2 surgeons and some scoping plus more tests.
    She was a huge keto diet person and with lots of fat like keto wants you to eat .. this was what caused the flare ups. Off keto now and no more attacks but she has 2 large gall stones and surgeon wants her to wait 2 more months and see how diet changes help.
    It’s frustrating especially when you have to wait to get in to see anyone

Top Bottom