• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    In other news, Illinois is proposing a license plate that reads (on top), "From each according to his abilities", (on bottom), "To each according to his need".

Consider the above purple text for those that a sarcastically challenged.

:laugh: LOL!!!

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I guess I truly do not understand the Tea Party types, particularly their use of the Gadsden. For me, nothing would relegate the flag and it's meaning to the history book dust bin faster than putting it on a license plate. Maybe, the IRS adopting it and using it as a water mark on your 1040 form would do it for me more quickly.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The great part about this entire issue is, "Delph said some of his constituents asked for the plate so he introduced the bill." If there are enough people in Mike's district to bring this into existence, I applaud their effort. Some people can find ways to punch holes in everything, but never seem to find a way to make the system work in their favor.

I really hope this bill passes and we have more options, especially if there is not an additional fee. But, if there is, I could still support the effort and place one on my vehicle(s).

I have a much higher standard for politicians. Letting me pick the atta' boy award for being taxed doesn't score points here. I could see where it would make a lot of voters happy though. A system working in the public's favor would be one that looks to lessen the burden and cost associated with an activity that is vital to your existence. Politicians love these kind of issues. Zero work, and the public gets its circus.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    The idea that someone would want a Gadsden on a plate and not see the ultimate irony. Seriously, I thought The Onion.

no,,,they really dont get it...

they think your unamerican if you dont have plates on your car or if you dont follow all the rules...

following rules is being american anymore...

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    no,,,they really dont get it...

they think your unamerican if you dont have plates on your car or if you dont follow all the rules...

following rules is being american anymore...

I see exactly what you guys are saying and agree on principle. Quit quarterbacking and lead the charge. Pull off your plate and tear up your license, see how many you can get to follow.

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    people will continue to convince themselves that theyre free and freedom will continue getting diluded

id like to see everyone take the plates off their cars... that would shut the cops down cold

It would fill impound yards.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    You bet your bottom dollar I'd get one! Hell, I might just paint my car yellow and have someone put that on my hood. :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I fail to see how license plates are a form of tyranny. If the government has a legitimate interest in regulating anything, it's traffic. The roads belong to us all, literally, that's exactly the kind of area in which the use of police power is legitimate.

The details of how that power is used is up for argument, certainly, and excesses might rise to the level of tyranny, but registering a vehicle seems perfectly reasonable to me.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I fail to see how license plates are a form of tyranny. If the government has a legitimate interest in regulating anything, it's traffic. The roads belong to us all, literally, that's exactly the kind of area in which the use of police power is legitimate.

The details of how that power is used is up for argument, certainly, and excesses might rise to the level of tyranny, but registering a vehicle seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Replace the word firearms/ordinances with firearms in your sentence. Still stand by it? That is a bit of a red herring (straw man?) point but why is it their business what I drive, other than perpetuation of the gaping maw of our hard earned money?

Even if a justifiable for communal possession of roads case can be built, the principle how much the public motorist is taxed for owning a car is pretty high. The taxes being generated for roads is exponentially higher than taxes collected for it.

The taxes on a gallon of gas is about 45 cents a gallon. Combine this with the tax you paid on the vehicle, the tax paid for your driver's license, the taxes spent on purchasing the car you own, the taxes on the title of your car. Can you claim ownership on it if you're truly continuing to pay tax on the car?

The Cato Institute has a pretty good write up about how much a $10,000 car costs due to taxes, fees, and licensing. This figure does NOT include any taxes, interest, fees and/or closing costs on a possible loan.

Their write up:

A Consumer Guide To Taxes: How Much Do You Really Pay In Taxes?

The sum of it:

Retail sales price of car 10,000
    Taxes
    Michigan sales tax $ 400
    Michigan income tax 784
    FICA payroll taxes 1,303
    Federal income tax 4,551
    Total taxes 7,038
    Earnings required to purchase car 17,038

"Don't tread on me, unless it's transportation," wasn't part of the original statement nor does it represent the modern manifestation of what the Gasden Flag represents for the modern libertarian.

But I could be wrong about everything listed above. I dunno. :dunno:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Thats the beauty of government. You can always find 51% of people that would see governments actions as legitimate. I bet I could go to any Republican stronghold and get the people's approval for the registration of 30 round Glock mags all couched nicely in a legitimate government interest. Do government's have a legitimate interest to register firearms and not allow them in public areas since we all "own them"? I am not entirely interested in some fairy tale talk about a constitution either.

How do you arrive at your conclusion that government has a legitimate interest in regulating traffic, the crux of consumer economies?

Putting all that aside....fine. The plating of a vehicle could be seen as necessary for policing society. A number linking the vehicle to the individual. Now, why do I have to pay hundreds of dollars a year to have a 1 inch sticker mailed to my house when absolutely nothing changed regarding my vehicle or my person?

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Can you claim ownership on it if you're truly continuing to pay tax on the car?

People will claim so, yes. However, ownership has nothing to do with possession and everything to do with control. You don't own your car in the strictest of terms. You could buy it and sit in a garage, sure, but you can't use it because once it leaves your drive way you are no longer under control.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    "Don't tread on me, unless it's transportation," wasn't part of the original statement nor does it represent the modern manifestation of what the Gasden Flag represents for the modern libertarian.

This is more of what I was getting at. The ideas, not the actual plate itself. I fear that many waving their Gadsden around don't fully grasp it's meaning. It looks cool and has a snake. 'Merica Fug Yeah!

I wonder which of the founders would have gotten the Gadsden plate for their horses or carriages?

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

:+1:

i think the republicans are just trying to knock down that symbol for us....to change what it means...

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    :+1:

i think the republicans are just trying to knock down that symbol for us....to change what it means...

I am not a big fan of your posts, namely because you can't punctuate or come close to using complete sentences. However, this thought went through my mind as well. The reason it did, actually, is because of Republican rhetoric during the last election cycle regarding Saul Alinsky. Co-opt you adversaries' imagery, use it as your own and use it against them. Just a random thought I had, nothing to it.

Top Bottom