• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Was having some issues with my living room chair, so I flipped it over thinking one the springs had come loose or anything.

Long story short, the thing is basically made of plywood and cheap 1x3s with Brad nails; no screws.

I was able to reinforce it with some brackets and screws, but its kind of frustrating knowing we put out quite a bit of money for furniture that didn’t last more than a few years.

Any recs?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'll be looking at this brand for my next furniture purchase:

We've purchased King Hickory the last couple of times and it was good, but my furniture guy is now highly recommending Smith Bros. Made in Indiana.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Was having some issues with my living room chair, so I flipped it over thinking one the springs had come loose or anything.

Long story short, the thing is basically made of plywood and cheap 1x3s with Brad nails; no screws.

I was able to reinforce it with some brackets and screws, but its kind of frustrating knowing we put out quite a bit of money for furniture that didn’t last more than a few years.

Any recs?
    I hear ya...paid 800 for a nice micro fiber couch. Made up of same construction you described. Value city furniture wouldn't do a thing to fix the broken springs or busted wood. I remember the old couches that were hard an i hated the looks. Those frames were made of oak.

Reactions: Leo

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Well if you were in Eastern Middle Tennessee there is a place. Seems like your best would be a regional business that still has some degree of pride in their workmanship.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'll be looking at this brand for my next furniture purchase:

We've purchased King Hickory the last couple of times and it was good, but my furniture guy is now highly recommending Smith Bros. Made in Indiana.
    $3000 cheapest recliner.......man, I am all for good furniture but that is salty, isn't it? I was complaining about my computer chair, a buddy sent me a link to a chair he bought.....that thing was $2200!! For a computer chair called X-Tech. I am sure it is comfortable, and my back would probably love it......but man, I just am not sure at what point is too much for a little more comfort.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    If you don’t mind a drive…

Gibson furniture in Boswell, Indiana has a full range from high end to acceptable furniture. We have a bedroom full of furniture from there. Everything in the showroom has to be ordered if you choose to buy. It arrives at the store fully wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap for you to pickup. They have a delivery and assembly service, but I don’t know if the mileage is limited or not.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Much like everything these days, the price goes up while the quality goes down. Our not terribly expensive living room furniture is horrible. Thin material that wears through, plastic parts that break, lots of binding in the recliner. I think at this point I’m going to try to make my own, it probably won’t be cheaper but at least it won’t be thin stamped steel and garbage bin plywood.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Much like everything these days, the price goes up while the quality goes down.
    Not always. The dinette I bought in 93 was solid birch built in Canada and cost $2500 for a table, one leaf, and four chairs. Built like a tank. The replacement was pub height table, one leaf, and six chairs for $950. Yep, it’s made in China, and has the quality to last about ten years, the same time as the decorators interest in the style and it will be replaced. LOL

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This place has some nice furniture but it can get a bit salty depending on what you are looking for. All wood is US sourced and mostly from the midwest. Made in the US. There is a wait time, you order what you want then they make it. They had a comparison between a lay-z-boy couch vs one of theirs with a cut in half cross section and a material list with percentages. Theirs was wood(solid/real), metal, fabric, and foam. The other was plywood, particleboard, cardboard, metal, fabric, foam, a bit of real wood. All their wood is actual solid wood, not plywood or particleboard.

$3000 cheapest recliner.......man, I am all for good furniture but that is salty, isn't it? I was complaining about my computer chair, a buddy sent me a link to a chair he bought.....that thing was $2200!! For a computer chair called X-Tech. I am sure it is comfortable, and my back would probably love it......but man, I just am not sure at what point is too much for a little more comfort.
    Cheapest at the place above is $900, but that can go up depending on fabric choice.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Bought a dining room table and chair set back in the mid 1990's, about $1700 but can't remember where. I do remember it was a quality type store and it has worked out well. Chairs are all still solid, no wobbles in them or the table, good purchase.
    There was a good quality furniture store in Montezuma but no longer. I heard the owner died and kids did not want to keep it open, real loss. Jim.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've seen not crazy pricing on this stuff at Godby when they have sales. I have a great guy I've been dealing with for a long time, and he let's me know when their best sales are going, etc.

Good furniture is not cheap, and I've seldom found cheap furniture to be good.

Last edited:

Blazer90

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    I understand the junk furniture stuff. We got several pieces years ago at Ashley in Greenwood. The bed mattress failed miserably and the couch same thing. Both in a few months. They didn’t stand behind the furniture.

Lucky for us my in-laws gave us an old lazy boy set. After another 10 years of use they wore out. We again have since bought new lazy boy recliners. The pieces are solid and I would recommend.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I have made a resolution to not buy anymore furniture I have to assemble, or from a big box store. My last three purchases have been from rummage/antique stores, by which I'm surrounded. One was a great, sturdy and affordable buy that's already about 200 years old and much cheaper them anything comparable new. The other two for the space and mood of the room properly and have enough class to look good doing it. They might need a little work to be perfect but they're made well enough I can repair them. Oftentimes you can negotiate the price a little too feel good about things, and the none of it is made in China!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Good luck.

We bought an Ashley Furniture brand couch from one of their authorized retailers up in Warsaw for $1100 that was supposed to have a warranty (limited lifetime per their website). Four months later, we had to move down to Lafayette. The couch was handled with care but somehow was still damaged during the move. What couch can’t handle a basic move two hours down the road without the sleeper bed frame breaking?! It was picked up, tipped back to go through a door, put in a truck, driven two hours down the road, and set down. That’s it.

Called the place we bought it. “You have to call Ashley.” So we did, where we were told they won’t touch it because it wasn’t purchased at an Ashley Home store. They tell us to speak with the store we bought it at. “Oh, you have to bring it here for us to fix it.”

WTF??? What if someone moved several states away “Sorry, that’s on you.” Digging deeper, the warranty states moving the couch out of the original point of delivery ends the warranty!!!

So yeah. Furniture sales people are a bunch of damn liars/thieves, no better than car salesmen. They’re not your friend no matter how often they tell you they are. Their job is to make money, NOT save you money. Read EVERYTHING before signing/swiping your card, or forever hold your peace!

We now get to find a furniture repair guy and pay out of pocket on it for a couch less than a year old. To say I was pissed is an understatement. Hopefully you can find something that isn’t cheap particle board and staples…

Top Bottom