• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I recently purchased a Rack Grade Plus rifle from the CMP. It looks good overall and I was breaking it down for cleaning on Saturday and the gas tube will not come off. I took off the gas port screw and tried to gently tap it with a rubber mallet, but nothing. My question is how hard do I try and tap this thing to try and get it off, secondly if it will not come off, is it safe to fire, or will firing loosen it? I thought I read that the CMP fires the rifles it rebuilds, but not sure. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you .

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Get a plastic faced hammer and smack it harder. Its a tight fit so it seals off gas pressure. Did you unscrew the gas cylinder lock? between the the barrel and gas cylinder. #6 on the photo

Screenshot_20221003-155608.png

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    After you took off the gas cylinder lock screw, did you remove the gas cylinder lock? It must also be removed to get the gas cylinder to slide on the splines.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't believe CMP rebuilds rack grades, the only ones that are rebuilt are the special grade which is pretty much a "new" rifle.
    The ones we own were arsenal rebuilds and put in long term storage. Then ended up with Luck of the Draw with The CMP. The two we bought were rebuilt and packed away in 1966, we were the first to see them when sold buy the CMP in the early eightys.
    We just bought another one from a ingo member a few days ago, haven't pulled it out of the stock to see when it was rebuilt last.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Actually garand gas cylinders were pressed on when originally assembled
    Now that you say that, I have seen both methods used, both the mallet and the ram. And the ram isn't gentle at all.

Here is the ram method.

10:07 shows the assembly part

I need to find it, the one with the mallet may have been a video of Garands being re-arsenaled.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Would gently heating the cylinder with a micro torch or heat gun help by expanding the metal a little to ease the tube-cylinder interference fit?
    And to make it even easier, buy some canned air. as soon as you are finished heating the cylinder, turn the can upside down and spray liquid onto the tube and it will freeze the tube and make it shrink.

Careful not to get the liquid on your skin. Instant frostbite.

Top Bottom