• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SafetyOff2A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2013
    Noble County
    I keep hearing a lot of unkind words being said about Freedom Firearms out of Fort Wayne.
    It's nothing specific, outside of prices.
    Mostly hearing that this is a "horrible gun store". I bought my first M&Ps here (pre Sandy Hook) and my buying experience went really well. The firearm's marked price was less than MSRP, I was given a 10% discount for being in the military, and the gentleman who handled my transaction was nothing short of friendly. Maybe things there have changed since the Sandy Hook business happened, I wouldn't know since I haven't been back there in a while, but has anyone on here had any issues with this place?

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    No issues with using the range. Always polite and professional. I've never purchased a firearm from them though, only a magazine, and that went okay.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Nope....
    In fact, in forty seven years of buying firearms, I've never had a bad experience in a gun store.
    IMO people who do have problems in gun stores, make the problems themselves.
    :twocents:

Ninja1310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I've never had a problem there, either in the range or the store, though my brother overpaid for an FS .40. That's not their problem, that was post Obama/Sandy Hook. I've always had decent customer service with them, though a couple of times I've been ignored longer than I feel should've for how slow it seemed in the store.

I will say that I would prefer to go to Wrigley's or ZX now instead of Freedom just because of price and customer service.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Nope....
    In fact, in forty seven years of buying firearms, I've never had a bad experience in a gun store.

I have not had a problem in a gun store. When at the Indy 1500 a few years ago I tried to buy a shotgun from Ranger Supply out of Fort Wayne and my NISC came back delayed. The clerk and I could not work out a solution (I live in Indy) and I said never mind and the clerk tried to charge me $40.00 for running the NISC, he was unsuccessful. Just enough of a problem that I would never consider them for a future purchase.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I've never had a problem, myself, with the folks in that location whether before or after the name change.

Back when it was still H&H, though, my brother ordered a revolver from them but didn't want the display model. Once it arrived and they called him to pick it up, they gave him the display model but insisted it was the one that had just arrived. Unfortunately, he hadn't written down the serial of the display model, so he couldn't actually prove it, but based on some markings/scratches he'd seen earlier—the very reason he wanted to order a new one instead of take the display model—he was able to tell the difference. The gun works fine and IIRC he paid a fair price, but the dishonesty left a sour taste behind for him.

That hasn't affected my decision not to buy from them, though. I've never bought from them just because I could always find it cheaper other places close enough to Fort Wayne, even accounting for the cost of gas to drive there and back.

fbongo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    i had a membership to the range for a couple years, besides the early closing times never had an issue and could usually find a lane without too much wait.

I did have an issue when attempting to purchase a PPQ 9mm back when they just came out; they were about $150 higher than ZX and $100 more than Sniper Co. for the same model - i explained I wanted to keep my business with them and asked what kind of price they could come down to. After a quick trip to the back room, the main salesman told me to take my business someplace else, they were not going to sell me the gun at all! No counter offer, fine, but that was it. I was nothing short of polite, nor demanding. I was floored! Never have I been in a business that flat out refused a sale out of arrogance. I was ready to make the sale even if they came down just a little.

I drove the 10 mins to Sniper Co. , paid $100 less, cleaned the gun, and was back at the range at Freedom breaking it in in less than 2 hours. I will never do business there again besides the range in the winter.

With ZX now in town , there isnt any reason to put up with the arrogance at Freedom anymore. I am glad to hear others have had better experiences than myself.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am not going to bash them on their prices, they are typically MSRP or close to it. They have always been nice to me and I like being able to take the older girls in to shoot at the range. Honestly I have never had to wait for a lane or two!

Price gouging? I believe I have seen a little of it at all of the shops during the height of the panic. They are a little proud of their items though.

Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have only purchased one gun there, my shield, and it was at MSRP. I just think that some of the guys that work there come off a little prickish to sensitive people :P

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Nope....
    Count yourself a lucky man, I've not had the good fortune that you have. Either that or you haven't been to many gun stores. How does that saying go... Arrogance is bliss? lol.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Count yourself a lucky man, I've not had the good fortune that you have. Either that or you haven't been to many gun stores. How does that saying go... Arrogance is bliss? lol.
    I don't consider myself especially lucky.
    I just don't expect the Sun to rise and set on my ass like some people.
    LGS owners are there to provide me with a service, in spite of the moronic rules and conditions placed on them by the Government, and I treat them, and their employees, with the respect that is due someone who has to put up with lot of crap just to make a living.

BTW
    It's "Ignorance is bliss", but I suspect that you already know that from personal experience. :)

Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think the sun sets on my a** but I can't stand freedom. They have been over priced on anything I have looked at and the people there have always come off as jerks. I have shot at the range once and wasn't all that impressed and the thing of turning the lights off when a new shooter walks in is just dumb to me. As others have said with sniper co. and ZX in town there is no point in going to freedom again.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I don't consider myself especially lucky.
    I just don't expect the Sun to rise and set on my ass like some people.
    LGS owners are there to provide me with a service, in spite of the moronic rules and conditions placed on them by the Government, and I treat them, and their employees, with the respect that is due someone who has to put up with lot of crap just to make a living.

BTW
    It's "Ignorance is bliss", but I suspect that you already know that from personal experience. :)
    Yes I'm fully aware of the traditional phrasing, I modified it due to your particularly arrogant post. Hence the "lol" after it. I wasn't aware that people that run gun shops were angels, thanks for setting me straight.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Yes I'm fully aware of the traditional phrasing, I modified it due to your particularly arrogant post. Hence the "lol" after it. I wasn't aware that people that run gun shops were angels, thanks for setting me straight.
    So now I know exactly why you've had bad experiences in gun shops.
    After your vast 13 days of experience here at INGO you can make a judgment call and decide I'm arrogant.
    You're obviously full of yourself. Among other stuff.
    OK
    Carry on.... :)

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    Most of my visits there have been pleasant. There where a couple of times I went in there when there were only 2 or 3 other people in the store with at least 4 people on staff yet it took them about 10 minutes to ask if I needed help with any thing. Another visit there with my wife we where treated like a burden every time my wife asked to handle a gun they scoffed and acted like she couldn't or shouldn't handle it. It was very annoying so after looking at 4 or 5 guns we left and spent our money some where else.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    So now I know exactly why you've had bad experiences in gun shops.
    After your vast 13 days of experience here at INGO you can make a judgment call and decide I'm arrogant.
    You're obviously full of yourself. Among other stuff.
    OK
    Carry on.... :)
    Haha, yes, because INGO is the end all be all of firearms experience. No instead of talking about guns on the internet, I go out and shoot them, and yes, hang out in gun stores. I HAVE had bad experiences, as has most everyone who has purchased more than 5-6 guns. I've purchased well over a hundred in my lifetime, and yes, some bad experiences have come up. Not a lot mind you, but to suggest that anyone who has a bad experience at a gun shop is at fault, and that gun shops are always on the up and up is just ignorant.

Top Bottom