• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Saw this article and got a chuckle. Saw a gar about this size almost pull a deep sea rig with my Uncle Jimmy attached into the San Jacinto river one night. He dug his heels into the sand and played that rascal until landing it.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Yah we used to catch them up in norther Indiana on a lake we had a cabin on.

Decided to clean and eat one one day....didn't know you needed a chainsaw to get through there scales!!!

They tasted okay...not good enough considering the work to do it again thought.

Kind of like snapping turtle....they are good but WAY TO MUCH WORK!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    They kind of freak you out when you aren't looking for them and they cruise close to your jon boat that's barely setting out of the water...

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yah we used to catch them up in norther Indiana on a lake we had a cabin on.

Decided to clean and eat one one day....didn't know you needed a chainsaw to get through there scales!!!

They tasted okay...not good enough considering the work to do it again thought.

Kind of like snapping turtle....they are good but WAY TO MUCH WORK!
    Yeah, armor plated. Made to withstand something worse than they are.:)

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    When I was a boy in Lawrence county, we used to gig and arrow them in local streams and quarries. They are hard to catch unless you use a wire loader. They are tough to clean and not worth the effort unless they are over 10 pounds. In the late summer, they float near the surface in shaded streams. I understand they are tough on other game fish

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    We don't see or hear of many alligator gars being caught here in MS. The state releases them into the wild from hatcheries. We have lots of spotted gars, they are slime and the nose is longer compared to an alligator gar.
    We were trolling for crappie at Sardis lake in north MS. Got to a point and the water was churning. I guess the spotted gar were spawning and didn't want our minnows. Some would surface long enough for a good look. Dang, they were as long as the kayak.

Top Bottom