• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Not following deeply, are they asking questions or making declarations? Seems like asking questions and expressing skepticism is not allowed anymore. As often as we have been lied to in the past ten years or so I trust none of them…
    Heck, even INGO shuns questioning the narrative these days...

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Not following deeply, are they asking questions or making declarations? Seems like asking questions and expressing skepticism is not allowed anymore. As often as we have been lied to in the past ten years or so I trust none of them…
    I read much of what is on x as declarations.

Really, right now hours later nobody knows s***. It will take weeks or months to actually develop a root cause and determine culpability.

Two in particular general flynn, and Laura loomer to me have lost a lot of respect. To jump from a ship hitting a bridge to speculation that terrorism and cyber terrorism was involved is a bridge too far.

In most cases the simplest most straightforward answer is probably closer to the eventual truth. A ship with a history of mechanical / electrical failure has a failure at a critical time while transiting a relatively restrictive channel. It hits a bridge which somehow failed to include in it's design pier protecting dolphins.

There is no conspiracy in any of the above. It is simply the confluence of a bunch of really s***** coincidences.

This reminds me of a discussion with a Boeing training engineer circa 2000. He's going over the failure modes for auto throttle, and the FIM has you changing the autothrottle computer for everything. I simply asked, what is the probability of the computer failing versus rig errors or LVDT failure? He looked at me like an owl. The reality of it was the MTBF of the computer by shop records was an order of magnitude better than the FIM would suggest.

In other words the engineers who had written the FIM had chosen a failure rate for the computer that was far higher than the actual failure rate of system integration or subcomponents.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have not once said it was a terrorist attack. I actually said I do not know what happened. My concern was with those who made claims it was not a terrorist attack and seemingly thought I was nuts for just asking.

My point is this, I don‘t know what happened but based on my experience with government explanations, it will take a bit to convince me what they say is not a cover up of some sort.
    I did try to phrase that in a way so as not to imply that I was referring to anything you have said/believe.

I haven't said that it wasn't a terror attack. I have said that, thus far, there is no evidence that it was or could have been a terrorist attack. As for "government explanations": I'm not aware of any explanations yet stated by the government (or by MSM, etc.)?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Heck, even INGO shuns questioning the narrative these days...
    What narrative? Since when, and by whom, is there an official narrative? NTSB hasn't even had the chance to get on the ship yet, last I knew. How can there possibly be a narrative?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Exactly. This is the Occam's razor application. If a terrorist were going to hijack a ship's steering, it would just drive it full-power into the bridge support.
    Unless they were an evil genius and wanted to make it look like an accident so they could do it several times before we caught on?
    Not purple intentionally, but I dont really think that is the answer either.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Unless they were an evil genius and wanted to make it look like an accident so they could do it several times before we caught on?
    Not purple intentionally, but I dont really think that is the answer either.
    A smart terrorist would do the same thing at the same time at multiple choke-point locations. Something like this is way too high-visibility to do "test" runs.

(And maybe Mayor Pete, instead of decrying racist overpasses, can look into seeing where similarly vulnerable bridges need dolphins installed...)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I encourage folks to do their own homework and find their own conclusions.

I will simply note, state has a long and consistent record of dishonesty, lying, corruption, and incompetency. That statement is not specific to nor is it limited to state's statements or actions involving this event.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I encourage folks to do their own homework and find their own conclusions.

I will simply note, state has a long and consistent record of dishonesty, lying, corruption, and incompetency. That statement is not specific to nor is it limited to state's statements or actions involving this event.
    Amen!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Simplest answer: dirty fuel and the ship loses power. Drops anchor but at 8-9 knots the ship ain't stopping (the Ship Captain on Jesse Waters said at 1-2 knots the anchor would've stopped it.) Anchor being dropped caused the direction change.

To make all this happen is Bond-Villain level evil, or a series of events that lead to tragedy.

A couple tanker trucks and thermite grenades would require much less planning.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    To make all this happen is Bond-Villain level evil, or a series of events that lead to tragedy.
    I agree, and I'm not gonna come outright and say this was done on purpose like a conspiracy type... however... in the world we live in these days... I'm not gonna say it wasn't either.

I'd like to withhold judgement until I know more... but I'm also not quite sure I can trust any reports that will be forthcoming either. Sadly, that's just where we're at right now. Unless I got a buddy on the responding NTSB team (and I don't) I just figure I'll never really know the whole story other than the damn ship hit the bridge.

I mean, that last presidential election was kinda some "Bond-Villain level evil" too, and it's looking like this one is shaping up to be pretty much more of the same. It's easy to see why a lot of people are jumping on the "bad guys did it" band wagon so quickly. I'm not gonna blame anybody who has those kind of thoughts at this point. I'm almost there myself.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    Not needed. A ship that size has a LOT of momentum, there's no need to make it that obvious...

Seems like being obvious about it is a core requirement.

terrorism​

noun
    1. the unlawful use of violence or threats to intimidate or coerce a civilian population or government, with the goal of furthering political, social, or ideological objectives.
    2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism.
    1. a terrorist method of governing or of resisting a government.
    2. intimidation or coercion by instilling fear.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I understand how trusses work and how strong they are in plane they are constructed for. But it's still amazing how fragile that entire structure looks when hit like that. Just amazing.
    Yep.
    Trusses work great for gravity, but have almost no lateral strength.
    Ever see video of "Galloping Girtie"?

Better known as the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Well, Tanker, cargo and container ships where thrust requirement is moderate where propeller efficiency requirements are high and draft in operating area is less variable, single propeller is more efficient.
    Ships like passenger ships that have higher speed requirements have large dual propellers.
    Ok, maybe only a select have 2. I watched a documentary on ships and they showed a newly built monster cargo ship for Maersk being slid into the water. It had 2 propellers.

Top Bottom