Fragmentation Patterns Off Of Steel Targets - (Pic heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Nicely done

Many years ago, there was an indoor range near Expo Bowl just south of Beech Grove. They set up free-standing steel silhouettes on logs out in front of their bullet traps and suffered serious damage to the roof from ricochets which left the building.

I've shot steel plates and a steel woodchuck up to 800 yards. There was little danger, if any, from ricochets at those distances but "Chuckie" has survived a lot of hits from much bigger guns than my .223s. Now I want to ask the owner of the range what kind of steel his targets are.

Very informative report. Thanks.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    You should be fine. Ar500 is pretty impervious to anything non-AP as long as you aren't going much over 3000 FPS. That is why you can shoot it with standard 50 BMG, it is velocity rather an energy that is key. However, 50 BMG can bend the plate and will definately wreak havoc on your target stand. I've had to retrieve the plates from back in the woods where they flew after a hit more than once.

Amen! :)

At a shoot last month, 300 yards, 50BMG ball:

jh5uzd.jpg

316s20n.jpg

Hits at the edge would bend the AR500 steel. A hit more toward the center only left a very minor ding.

And the stand:

2eprhns.jpg

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Amazing write up. I love how detail oriented your tests are.:ingo:

This has to be one of the most informative reviews/tests in quite a while that I have read anywhere.

Definitely needs to be stickied!:twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Looks like this thread is being posted by INGOers on other sites. Page views are adding up quick!

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    when lovemywoods and my self talked about this at first it just dug into my mind. I ended up getting back with him and wanting to firm up something to see what we could do. Then as time got closer he told me it had dug into his mind and he got more excited about it. Had a ball doing it and when lovemywoods put all that data together it just looked great. The final outcome was impressive (both test and data) and i have a feeling it will make its rounds in the shooting world and be a reference for people for quite a while.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Where is the splatter zone?

Esrice had an idea for two views of a steel target stand with the 0 - 20 degree zone shown to help give folks a graphic view of what area is the prime splatter area when shooting quality steel targets.

He was here early today so we got a couple of pictures and I tried out my rudimentary graphic skills.

I think these capture the essence of the review above. :)

[Note: I'm also going to add these into the body of the original report so that new readers who might not read this entire thread will see them. Please forgive the duplication.]

14o3hj6.jpg

2ed2vt1.jpg

21nms05.jpg

Last edited:

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    Wow! I knew we had some solid data after the day of shooting, but wow! Thanks for letting chuddly and I be a part of the testing! I had a great time that day and it's good to know that I was able to be a (very small) part of this project. I can't wait for the next one, whatever that ends up being. Thanks also for posting the video of me shooting the .30-06 as I now have proof positive to show others that I can hit the broadside of a barn :laugh:

Top Bottom