Fragmentation Patterns Off Of Steel Targets - (Pic heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    glad I found this excellent highly detailed report on targets my brother just mentioned to me about building our own this will be very helpful! Dan T

Give us a call for your needs! You'll be hard pressed to make them any cheaper. Contact information can be found in my signature.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    glad I found this excellent highly detailed report on targets my brother just mentioned to me about building our own this will be very helpful! Dan T

Thank your for reading the report and for giving your feedback. :yesway:

Although the report started from my curiosity, I shortly became concerned for the safety issues involved with shooting soft and irregular steel targets.

It's gratifying to read that the information may help your brother build safer targets.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Excellent write up. I check ammo people are going to use when shooting at my Bobcat Steel targets (shameless promo :D). A friend had some M855/SS109 ammo and I caught it before he shot. After that I always check.

db1959, your comment and some other similar questions were the genesis for a test I did a couple of weeks ago.

It can be found here:
    M855_on_Hardened_Steel

I found that at distances under 200 yards, M855 will create some pock-marks on AR500 steel.

I have pictures to show the varying effects at 25, 50, 100, and 211 yards.

Boring2u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    This post is pure goodness. Thank you for the well documented report. Now onto making my own ballistic gelatin...

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    This post is pure goodness. Thank you for the well documented report. Now onto making my own ballistic gelatin...

its not hard...just takes a bit of time. And a wife thats either understanding or out of the house long enough for you to get it made and attempt to clean up the mess after yourself :rolleyes:

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I just found this review - it is amazing. It needs to be stickied.

Anybody setting up a range should take notice.

I was once hit by a ricochet on a Sheriff department range. Their setup violated several of the guidelines revealed in this review. That turned a day at the range into a bad day.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I had a ton of fun working on this with lovemywoods. And like it has been stated many times...People dont realize what can happen from bad targets.

Top Bottom