Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Idea to settle this trial in an absolute manner.

Have Chauvin get on the floor of the court room with the prosecution taking the same restraint pose as he did for the same period of time. If Chauvin survives, he walks.

Sound fair?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Idea to settle this trial in an absolute manner.

Have Chauvin get on the floor of the court room with the prosecution taking the same restraint pose as he did for the same period of time. If Chauvin survives, he walks.

Sound fair?
    No. Give Chauvin heart disease and the same drugs and then do it. I mean. If we want to make the test equal that is.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No. Give Chauvin heart disease and the same drugs and then do it. I mean. If we want to make the test equal that is.
    It's a good argument for the "but for" defense though. "But for" Floyd's heart condition and the drugs in his system, he would have survived. Again, enough to establish reasonable doubt.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That's ridiculous. What is being tested for is if the knee restraint alone is enough to kill an otherwise healthy, non-drug abusing person. If it is not, then the differences between the two people is likely to be the cause of death and the argument can be made that the heart disease and drug cocktail were what actually killed him

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those problems aren't Chauvin's fault, and not what he's being tried for.
    Well, I guess while you're setting up your fantasy scenario you could always change the law to be what you want then.

If you rob a store and the store clerk has a weak heart and he has a heart attack brought on from the stress of the robbery, then they get to charge the robber with some form of homicide charge. It wasn't the robber's fault that the guy had a weak heart. This was talked about upthread with the lawyers. It doesn't really matter that Floyd brought on some of the problem himself. Just like it doesn't matter that the store clerks weak heart was from years of smoking and eating ****.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well, I guess while you're setting up your fantasy scenario you could always change the law to be what you want then.

If you rob a store and the store clerk has a weak heart and he has a heart attack brought on from the stress of the robbery, then they get to charge the robber with some form of homicide charge. It wasn't the robber's fault that the guy had a weak heart. This was talked about upthread with the lawyers. It doesn't really matter that Floyd brought on some of the problem himself. Just like it doesn't matter that the store clerks weak heart was from years of smoking and eating ****.

I'd think the waters get very murky if the store clerk had a heart attack after committing crimes against another patron.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's a good argument for the "but for" defense though. "But for" Floyd's heart condition and the drugs in his system, he would have survived. Again, enough to establish reasonable doubt.
    Well, I'm sure that because for a point of argumentation, I'll be accused of wanting to convict Chauvin despite saying the last couple days that I think the defense has established some serious doubt.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's ridiculous. What is being tested for is if the knee restraint alone is enough to kill an otherwise healthy, non-drug abusing person. If it is not, then the differences between the two people is likely to be the cause of death and the argument can be made that the heart disease and drug cocktail were what actually killed him
    No, because the person who died was not a healthy person and therefore was more susceptible. It wouldn't be the heart disease/drugs by themselves that killed him, but the combination. So one could state it both ways much like DD did with the one.

But for the heart disease/drugs, Floyd would be alive. So that's one side of it. And then you could also argue the other way, but for Chauvin's knee, Floyd would be alive.

Necessary disclaimer: I'm arguing the logic not whether or not I think Chauvin is guilty of a crime.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No, because the person who died was not a healthy person and therefore was more susceptible. It wouldn't be the heart disease/drugs by themselves that killed him, but the combination. So one could state it both ways much like DD did with the one.

But for the heart disease/drugs, Floyd would be alive. So that's one side of it. And then you could also argue the other way, but for Chauvin's knee, Floyd would be alive.

Necessary disclaimer: I'm arguing the logic not whether or not I think Chauvin is guilty of a crime.
    That only matters if Chauvin was committing a crime when Floyd died. If Chauvin was just doing his duty as an officer then there is no crime, and there is no culpability.

That is what it really boils down to. He had no duty to provide aid with a violent offender and a hostile crowd. So, was what he did outside police protocol and a crime?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That only matters if Chauvin was committing a crime when Floyd died. If Chauvin was just doing his duty as an officer then there is no crime, and there is no culpability.

That is what it really boils down to. He had no duty to provide aid with a violent offender and a hostile crowd. So, was what he did outside police protocol and a crime?
    That's what they're alleging happened. That he broke the law because he used excessive force. Now don't through stones because I said that. I'm just saying what they're saying. So if Chavin did use excessive force, and that force contributed to Floyd's death, even if his heart condition and drug use were also contributing factors, then Chauvin would be guilty. But as I've said all along, I think there's reasonable doubt that Chauvin's use of force actually did contribute to Floyd's death. It may have been 100% the drugs and heart condition. He was complaining he couldn't breathe in the car. It may be that he had a lethal dose for him, and there wasn't anything anyone else could do.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's what they're alleging happened. That he broke the law because he used excessive force. Now don't through stones because I said that. I'm just saying what they're saying. So if Chavin did use excessive force, and that force contributed to Floyd's death, even if his heart condition and drug use were also contributing factors, then Chauvin would be guilty. But as I've said all along, I think there's reasonable doubt that Chauvin's use of force actually did contribute to Floyd's death. It may have been 100% the drugs and heart condition. He was complaining he couldn't breathe in the car. It may be that he had a lethal dose for him, and there wasn't anything anyone else could do.

It's still my opinion that the stress of circumstances in combination with drugs and the heart condition killed him.

I seriously don't believe the restraint position had anything to do with his death, beyond laying face down.

Something just seems wrong about pinning Chauvin to the wall over this, to me.

Top Bottom