• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I'am in a Columbus Walmart store yesterday checking ammo prices. I overheard this exchange at the gun counter. Walmart clerk to a customer, "if you buy an AR, we now have to specify that it is an AR" on form 4473. Another guy immediately says he was told the same thing at Rural King.

I don't believe it's true. Has anyone else heard this "rumor"?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Not true. All than is on the form is pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle or other, as in receiver.

Handgun, long gun, other. That's all the FBI knows.

There is a section where the store puts in rifle, revolver, pistol, shotgun, or receiver, but the FBI isn't told that much detail.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Handgun, long gun, other. That's all the FBI knows.

There is a section where the store puts in rifle, revolver, pistol, shotgun, or receiver, but the FBI isn't told that much detail.

That is correct, I was addressing what he asked as to if it was on the 4473, not what the nics asked.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't believe it's true. Has anyone else heard this "rumor"?

Yes, but it is just gun shop teeth talk. Bonk, gun shops attract this nonsense like garbage collects flies. We could go on for page after page about all the nonsense that is spouted in gun shops. Most of it is just guys wanting to sound informed by confusing proposals with law, or wanting to check out a rumor that they have heard by bouncing it off someone else.

Origin, I believe, is the inclusion of the new classification on the 4473 and confusion over the expansion of the 3310 reporting requirements in the border states to combat all the gun running that transpires down there. Mark it up to teeth talk, nod, say "hmmm" and then move on.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yes, but it is just gun shop teeth talk. Bonk, gun shops attract this nonsense like garbage collects flies. We could go on for page after page about all the nonsense that is spouted in gun shops. Most of it is just guys wanting to sound informed by confusing proposals with law, or wanting to check out a rumor that they have heard by bouncing it off someone else.

Origin, I believe, is the inclusion of the new classification on the 4473 and confusion over the expansion of the 3310 reporting requirements in the border states to combat all the gun running that transpires down there. Mark it up to teeth talk, nod, say "hmmm" and then move on.

So me answering hispanic or not hispanic doesn't tell the gummernent I'm buying a high capacity clip full automatic that only has 2 positions?!?!?!?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm pretty sure my preferred shop writes the serial number an the model of the gun on the 4473

Yes, that is to link the gun to the form. But they dont tell any of that to the feds during the approval process.

The only time the feds get that info is:

A: The gun was used in a crime and they are tracing it starting with the manufacturer to determine who purchased it. (Only THAT 4473 is considered)
    B: The gun store goes under and the boxes of forms are shipped off to the feds per federal law. (ALL 4473s are sent to the feds to be stored so they can be searched when a gun needs to be traced)

The only scary thing is in the latter case, I have heard (NPR?) that they are starting to scan the boxes of 4437s surrendered by defunct shops in the federal warehouse using OCR to make the search go quicker. They want to be able to put in a serial number and immediately get a result instead of having a peon dig through box after box of paper forms. How long until that isolated database gets merged for live searches outside the scope of individual weapons traces? :tinfoil:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom